Leyna Nguyen quits KCAL

Leyna announced on her Facebook page she has quit KCAL to start her own media coaching business.

As a viewer this is terrible news, but I understand her reasons. Leyna and Juan had great chemistry; I always enjoyed those two versus Jeff and Suzie or Suzanne Marques.

Between the two stations, how much talent has left recently? Leyna, Andrea Fujii, Elsa Ramon, Paul Magers, Rick Garcia, Jackie Johnson. When Spectrum starts their LA news channel, I wonder how many more will leave?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10216552249335826

Leyna announced on her Facebook page she has quit KCAL to start her own media coaching business.

As a viewer this is terrible news, but I understand her reasons. Leyna and Juan had great chemistry; I always enjoyed those two versus Jeff and Suzie or Suzanne Marques.

Between the two stations, how much talent as left recently? Leyna, Andrea Fujii, Elsa Ramon, Paul Magers, Rick Garcia, Jackie Johnson. When Spectrum starts their LA news channel I wonder how many more will leave?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10216552249335826

They're running out of people. I guess Garcia is going to get a good bit of money to disappear, but with the thin roster their budget and bottom line is looking swell now. Maybe there's enough now to build KCAL a new set after eleven years.

They're running out of people. I guess Garcia is going to get a good bit of money to disappear, but with the thin roster their budget and bottom line is looking swell now. Maybe there's enough to build a new set for KCAL after eleven years.

Get rid of reporters so they can buy a new set?

Fire them all!!!!

Get a nice new, sparkly set....with USB ports.

Leyna should have been promoted a long time ago, but management at the two stations apparently decided not to. I always thought she was good enough to be anchoring the 10pm newscast or at least be promoted to kcbs anchoring at that station exclusively just like Pat Harvey and Rick Garcia. I wished she decided to work at another station instead, like at ktla or kttv, maybe even knbc. All of these other stations seem to be short on anchors. Kabc seems to be short on anchors as well.

Media coaching is a job you invent when your spouse is well-off enough to pay all the bills. I assume a media coach is a talent coach, someone who works with people who want to improve their on-camera or voice-over skills.

Media coaching is a job you invent when your spouse is well-off enough to pay all the bills.

Nailed it Rob...

I remember when the newly jettisoned reporters used to start "production companies"... but didn't own any gear or studio space....or a P.R. firm...with no P.R. skills.

At least she is free from the bondage of TV news.

With the recent departures of some anchors and reporters at kcbs and kcal, I wonder who will replace Leyna Nguyen? Are they going to cut back on their prime time news as well?

Talent will leave TV stations all the time. Just because someone leaves doesn't mean a station will cut back on their news commitment. KCALs primetime news is a legacy newscast. They committed to it in 1989 at a time slot that was dominated by primetime network fare. Yes, the business model has changed toward online. I just don't see KCAL walking away from the primetime news block....for many, many years. If you used that logic, the CBS Evening News would be off air right about now.

Talent will leave TV stations all the time. Just because someone leaves doesn't mean a station will cut back on their news commitment. KCALs primetime news is a legacy newscast. They committed to it in 1989 at a time slot that was dominated by primetime network fare. Yes, the business model has changed toward online. I just don't see KCAL walking away from the primetime news block....for many, many years. If you used that logic, the CBS Evening News would be off air right about now.

Not only that, but the midterms are coming up. Campaigns love to spend money on commercials that air during news. CBS isn’t that foolish to give up on all that cash.

Archived