KWQC FINALLY dumps Hello News...

WANEFan

Time to stop the dated KWQC/Hello News jokes... According to the NMSA, KWQC finally dumped the dated cuts of Hello News that they were using.

In it's place? Stephen Arnold's U-Phonix... quite a radical change, but nonetheless, a big change for the better.

Anyone have any screencaps or video?

OMG, Up until now, they were using a music package from the late 80s and early 90s?! They're JUST NOW AFTER 17 YEARS switching to some up-to-date music?! Sigh, better late than never...oh, well...

OK, the pros. YES, new music...and 10 years overdue. YES, new graphics package.

Cons, YES, they still have that dated logo, studio and slogan...and now they have a tacky rotating logo bug.

All I can say is...........it's a start.

Hopefully what happened at WPVI doesn't happen at KWQC. I mean KWQC has been using Hello News for 17 years and KWQC has been the ratings leader for longer than that. I wouldn't be surprised if TV 6 recieved some complaints... Anybody have screen caps or video?

Hopefully what happened at WPVI doesn't happen at KWQC. I mean KWQC has been using Hello News for 17 years and KWQC has been the ratings leader for longer than that. I wouldn't be surprised if TV 6 recieved some complaints... Anybody have screen caps or video?

I don't think Hello News is as a distinctive theme as MCTYW, unless KWQC has been using the same theme from the package to open their newscasts for 17 years.

I live in the market, they updated there music and graphics, but still have the old 80's set... it is older than the news music (Hello News). The graphics are no doubt in-house. They are not appealing at all. No new logos, just one for the weather, which sucks. WQAD is still my favorite in this market. And since the new General Manager has taken over at WQAD, alot of new features have shown up on. But, it is definatley nice to hear new music on that station after 17 years.

I can get a link to a video.

Also... KWQC will most likely get something different, they cant afford it, There GM, who Ive heard isnt the nicest person in the crowd, would send it back to Arnold after the bill comes in. They cant afford it.

The stations ratings have been starting to suffer a little bit, and since WQAD has been getting some different shows in, such as trading in Dr. Keith Ablow for Regis & Kelly. And have introduced a new mappinng system for the news, called NewsTrack. And now have Matt Hammill anchoring only 6 and 10 PM News, and have Jason Fechner anchoring 5 and 6:30, the ratings are improving for WQAD.

I will get that video link soon.

Definitely a good change in Music, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if Hello News were to return. I'm wondering if KWQC-6 checked the price tag on U-Phonix.

what, you think they're using a 30 day trial? ::)

I think he was mentioning the recent SESAC Attack that forced about 130 stations to drop Stephen Arnold music. I myself am shocked that they would go with Arnold for that reason.

Any updates to the set yet? Maybe they couldn't get anyone in house to design one :)

Wow, surprised a thread was made for this.

Like Cyle, I am also in the market. Yes, it has changed. I was surprised they changed the music. I still don't like it, but it's anything better than Hello News.

As someone else had mentioned, KWQC has been the Quad Cities leader for a long time (27 consecutive years). I remember the sports guy that came to my school for career day says that everyone knows "Your Watching the quad cities number one station for news, KWQC TV 6, the station the cares for you" They no longer have an opener saying that. The graphics are nothing big. As Cyle mentioned, they are in house. Not bad though, better than the other ones they have. Their FIRST Alert logo is UGLY. I can't stand it. The weather graphics aren't too impressing either. The block logo rotating is rediculous. I hate it. As for the set... they said that it was the "first part of the new look" so whatever that means...

KWQC ratings are probably going to go down, at least in the morning. Marcia Lense and Mike Mickel are now split up, after 15 years anchoring together. Marcia was severely demoted to Internet manager, and anchor of the noon news. Before that, she was QC Today. Now Jessica Tighe is in, very young, very annoying voice, and always wears blue. KWQC is still very far number one, but I've heard that, since KWQC has such great branding, they just mark down KWQC. But still, they are number one whether the diaries are right or wrong. In fact, on youtube, there is a video labled "An interview from KWQC" and it is actually from WHBF..so KWQC's branding works. Not that that has anything to do with music/graphics.

Deffinitely a good change, much better than what they had before. Just not an overall GREAT change. :-\ The weather is just horrible though..

As for the set..they have one of those Fake monitors/real monitor walls. If anything, they are going to have to change the one with the First Alert logo, and then they are gonna have to change the logo in the Weather Center. Other than that.. idk if they will. I guess I could eMail them.

Now even though that Channel 6 in the Quads needed some form of change, the change of music shouldn't been one of them. I believe they 'jumped the shark' when they dumped Hello for some no-good U-Phonix package. Just several months ago Schurz's WSBT 22 in the Bend dropped Making A Difference after nearly a decade to used the U. Why do some of these folks like U-Phonix?

What Channel 6 can do to upgrade & update their infrastructure? Some better-suited graphics and an entire Set change would be a drastic improvement. And maybe a tweak of the logo in keeping the "6" logo with the NBC Logo attached to it and get rid of the navy blue-bold italic capitalized KWQC-TV font which that's like too old in today's standards. And change the Branding of the Newscast to like "TV 6 News" or "Channel 6 News" would be a whole lot appropriate then "KWQC-TV 6 News". But changing the music is breaking nearly all of the traditions the station had. U-Phonix is a load of Crap.

I hope the theme doesn't last long and I wished they would've done something like what WIBW 13 did last year to have people pick which music they want to hear for their new news theme. But they will hurt in the long run because they dropped a big piece of history on Monday. They broke tradition in dropping Hello and because of this, I hope WQAD Channel 8 get all the Channel 6 viewers.

Already, they have recieved "several eMails" on the cube.

http://kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=6866408&pass=1#poll63024

They have a poll going on which one you would prefer.

They spent about a minute on their noon newscast talking about the cube. I can see that they're desperate for stories if you talk about that 9 minutes into the newscast (http://www.kwqc.com/Global/category.asp?C=79072 , Go to August 1, 2007 Noon)

I think they need to dump the rotating bug altogether, it's very distracting, especially with the lens flare effect they tacked on it.

Last nights 10 o clock in the first 6 minutes just before weather they mentioned that fact that everyone had voted on a slower version of "the cube."

"More than 2000 people voted on kwqc.com, that's more votes than any other poll we've had." LOL!! ;D

I'd prefer the fast one over the slow one. I voted for fixed. Oh yeah, you can vote more than once on those kinds of polls, I voted probably 8 or 9 times :p So, no, they didn't get 2000 people to vote, they just got 2000 votes.

The slow one is horrible. Why not just put it fixed? Oh well, I don't watch 6 much anyways...guess ill just stick to 8 :D

Archived