Larry's Lemonade Stand

Jake

I'm sure the people at Alex's Lemonaid Stand appreciate the publicity, but could Mendte go any further in exploiting this cause to raise his profile and improve his image. He's even screening a documentary on it at film festivals? His overdramatic narration just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and he comes off as exploitative, IMHO.

I'm sure the people at Alex's Lemonaid Stand appreciate the publicity, but could Mendte go any further in exploiting this cause to raise his profile and improve his image. He's even screening a documentary on it at film festivals? His overdramatic narration just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and he comes off as exploitative, IMHO.

Isn't he over dramatic on the news every night? I have a hard time watching him and his ego

I watch a lot of local news and to be perfectly honest, it's the same news on every channel, just different graphics and different faces. You're not going to learn anything important on one station you won't learn on the other. I watch CBS3 because Alycia Lane is attractive. However much of a mess her personal life may be, she's a very competent newsreader and does her job well. Mendte is annoying and gives a certain "know it all vibe."

For whatever reason, Renee Chanault-Fattah gets on my nerves and Time Lake just sort of comes off as an empty head. Vince Dementri has some personality.

Dave Huddleston is very good, but Dawn Stensland seems a little ditzy.

I still think Jim Garner is the gold standard. He's so at ease on camera, doesn't need to showboat to prove anything, and he's just comfortable. There's a reason, beyond habit, Action News beats everyone in the ratings.

I see CBS3 crowing about all their Emmy wins, but honestly, if Action News allowed it's people to enter I think it would be a very different landscape.

I still think Jim Garner is the gold standard. He's so at ease on camera, doesn't need to showboat to prove anything, and he's just comfortable. There's a reason, beyond habit, Action News beats everyone in the ratings.

Ok you can't have it both ways pal. You bitch about Mendte's ego yet you find Gardner to be the gold standard? Pulease! Jim Gardner has the biggest ego on the east coast. He acts like he is the news and no one or no thing should be able to take away from that. You want a case and point? Go to the thread about Gary Papa announcing his cancer relapse to see what I'm talking about.

Sorry, but I humbly disagree about Jim Garner. I just get steady experience and confidence with him, but not ego. He doesn't had his own two cents after every story and feel the need to insinuate himself into every aspect of the newscast. That said, it doesn't mean he won't make the occasional gaffe, like with Gary Papa, but Jim is just sort of there, like a good anchor should be.

And I agree Alycia is better without Larry there, cause I think the ego intimidates.

Sorry, but I humbly disagree about Jim Garner. I just get steady experience and confidence with him, but not ego. He doesn't had his own two cents after every story and feel the need to insinuate himself into every aspect of the newscast.

Are you kidding me? He showed up his own news director on air recently after he disagreed with airing that video of that 4 year old that got tackled at that high school football game (I'll post the video of that online later). If he would have done that to me he wouldn't be anchoring for the rest of the week, plain and simple.

I don't watch Action News much these days, so I need to watch it before I do my Action News opinion post next week. Maybe my opinion will change, but when you've been number one consistantly since the late 70's I think you've earned the right to second guess your news director. Whatever else you may think about Jim Garner, obviously he knows what the people of Philly want to see. If you have his stature, I think you've got the right to tell your viewers if you being pushed into airing something you don't agree with. it keeps the trust.

I will say, and this is just a RUMOR, when I worked at Shadow/Express Traffic in the early 90's the rumor was that JG went out and got lit between the 6 & 11 newscasts.

I will say, and this is just a RUMOR, when I worked at Shadow/Express Traffic in the early 90's the rumor was that JG went out and got lit between the 6 & 11 newscasts.

This has been a long standing rumor, that on Fridays, and during MNF, Jim and Dave Roberts (back when he did the 11:00PM weather) would get toasted.

Anyway, I believe it is true. I remember, particuraly with Roberts on Friday nights, would often be very giddy.

I don't watch the 11:00PM news much often anymore, so I don't know if he still does. However I remember watching a broadcast recently inwhich Jim was acting a little giddy himself, and was noticeably looking at Cecily Tynan's cleavage. Si I guess he still does.

Here's a radical idea: Maybe anyone with any shred of humanity and decency would feel symphathy and respect for the Scotts and their daughter.

There's never been a hint inside Three that Larry's interest is cynical.

Why not stab him in the back over something important --- like the color of his eyes ... or his hair?

This has nothing to do with the Scotts or their daughter. Alex Scott did an incredibly selfless, moving thing for a child by putting others' suffering before hers. She jumped right to an empathy that some adults never learn and it's right and appropriate for her parents to continue that.

However, Larry's continued harranging just doesn't come off as sincere. Maybe it's that he doesn't show a shred of being a real human being on the air. It's not like I am his best friend, so it's hardly a stab in the back. Maybe if you want to defend Larry argue on the points raised, or offer your own counter opninion, but don't cloak your defense of Larry in reighteousness.

And BTW, his hair is the color of moldy straw. ;D

Archived