Changes at WTKR

tvpirate05

Now it looks like 'TKR doesn't have a sports guy of ANY sort (unless they put Ted Alexander back on that beat).

Ridiculous how that station has been hemorrhaging personnel (on-air/management) in the span of about a week and a half.

It's not really ridiculous. It's a normal thing whenever a station gets a new GM... they out people. Just wait until the new news director arrives from WIS, I heard on TVSpy that she's tough.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not really ridiculous. It's a normal thing whenever a station gets a new GM... they out people. Just wait until the new news director arrives from WIS, I heard on TVSpy that she's tough.

Hang on then. Babs and Kurt may not be safe after all.

Hang on then. Babs and Kurt may not be safe after all.

They'd be crazy to get rid of Kurt...he's a solid anchor has about 20 years and is their longest-tenured current anchor. I think after that it's Bob Matthews.

If anything, they need to make him an evening anchor, and put him in Les's spot at 5:30.

Despite having a new ND, if WTKR's news ratings don't improve I can see TKR actually dropping a few of their newscasts in favor of syndicated programming and it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in Hampton Roads either.

Not sure if any of you remember back in the early to mid 80's when WAVY had problems with their "The Daily News" noon broadcasts. The ratings were quite bad, enough so that WAVY only aired their Noon news FOUR days a week leaving Fridays to NBC and the Hot Potato game show. Plus in the 70's WAVY tried to do a full hour of local news ( 5:30 until 6:30 ), that lasted less than a year. And for WVEC, despite ABC being a very popular network in the late 70's with Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Whats Happening and The Love Boat, at the time WVEC didn't even bother doing a weekend newscast. Come to think of it I believe at the time WVEC was the largest station among ABC affiliates not to do the local weekend news thing plus I believe until the mid 80s WVEC was one of the last ABC affiliates that wasn't an O&O that didn't offer a midday newscasts ( actually NONE of Virginia's ABC affiilates offered a midday newscast until WVEC and even then it took a number of years before the others did as well ). And what about WTKR's attempt in the mid 90's to launch a 10:00 news on WGNT UPN 27? That didn't last long either.

No, if WTKR's ratings continue to slide, expect some talk/court show to take the place of some of their newscasts.

And what about WTKR's attempt in the mid 90's to launch a 10:00 news on WGNT UPN 27? That didn't last long either.

WVEC also produced a 10pm newscast on WPEN-LP from 95-97 until they started LNC. Not sure how many people watched that (heck, they still do the 10pm newscast on LNC nobody watches).

I think WTKR should do news at 4:30, court or talk show at 5, hour of news at 6, and Katie at 7.

WVEC also produced a 10pm newscast on WPEN-LP from 95-97 until they started LNC. Not sure how many people watched that (heck, they still do the 10pm newscast on LNC nobody watches).

I think WTKR should do news at 4:30, court or talk show at 5, hour of news at 6, and Katie at 7.

Thanks...forgot all about LNC !!

I doubt WTKR would do a full hour news at 6, for some reason any type of news at 7 ( local or national ) has never done well in Virginia with the exception of Northern Virginia of course I could be wrong about that as far as today goes. Interesting the only stations in Virginia that offers a 7pm local news are all ABC affiliates ( Lynchburg, Charlottesville and Winchester ) plus Charlottesville's CBS 19 offers Katie at 7pm, I imagine they're all doing well so who knows, maybe WTKR could air Katie at 7.

if they do wouldn't this be the first time any station in Hampton Roads offers a 7pm news of any kind ( not counting WVEC and LNC )?

Despite having a new ND, if WTKR's news ratings don't improve I can see TKR actually dropping a few of their newscasts in favor of syndicated programming and it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in Hampton Roads either.

Not sure if any of you remember back in the early to mid 80's when WAVY had problems with their "The Daily News" noon broadcasts. The ratings were quite bad, enough so that WAVY only aired their Noon news FOUR days a week leaving Fridays to NBC and the Hot Potato game show. Plus in the 70's WAVY tried to do a full hour of local news ( 5:30 until 6:30 ), that lasted less than a year. And for WVEC, despite ABC being a very popular network in the late 70's with Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Whats Happening and The Love Boat, at the time WVEC didn't even bother doing a weekend newscast. Come to think of it I believe at the time WVEC was the largest station among ABC affiliates not to do the local weekend news thing plus I believe until the mid 80s WVEC was one of the last ABC affiliates that wasn't an O&O that didn't offer a midday newscasts ( actually NONE of Virginia's ABC affiilates offered a midday newscast until WVEC and even then it took a number of years before the others did as well ). And what about WTKR's attempt in the mid 90's to launch a 10:00 news on WGNT UPN 27? That didn't last long either.

No, if WTKR's ratings continue to slide, expect some talk/court show to take the place of some of their newscasts.

Thanks for the Hampton Roads TV history lesson.

Is it just me, or does it sound like WTKR is fazing in a new V/O. They still have Bob Tracy with the opens, bumpers, etc., but for their promos it's someone else.

Is it the one in the Daily Press Hurricane Guide insert? That's the only one I've heard him in...

^Tonight, I heard him in one for the DP, a "special investigation" for Thursday, and one that said "NewsChannel 3 is brought to you by..." (I forgot what those are called).

What's weird though is that the DP Hurriucane guide promo was originally by Tracy, then it changed to this guy all of a sudden.

Archived