Changes at WTKR

tvpirate05

From var.tv:

Local TV LLC's WTKR (CBS) Norfolk continues to tweak things. This time, they blow up the short-lived "5 p.m. Interactive Newscast" with Bianca Martinez. That half hour will now feature a traditional newscast with Martinez and Pat McReynolds...

Kurt Williams is no longer making the trek from Boush St to Virginia Beach's Town Center to anchor newscasts. He's now anchoring the noon and 5:30 p.m. shows from the Norfolk studios...

Say goodbye to the "10-day Forecast" at the end of the station's weather segments. It's now called (7-day) "Planning Forecast."

The first and third changes seem the most interesting, considering how much fanfare went into the Interactive Newsroom, only to see them scrap it. IIRC, they even put up the plasma monitors just for this. Oh well, another WTKR gimmick that falls flat. I really wish they'd stop this experimental stuff and actually STICK to something.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I noticed that they used the plasma in the studio for an OTS-style shot, I liked it.

The interactive newsroom setup in the newsroom could still be used for reports... I think they should "dress" up the newsroom some more, it's kinda boring.

Also looks like the "Your" has disappeared from the "planning forecast" graphic...

WEB-10day-lg.jpg

I think "planning forecast" sounds stupid. Just call it 7-day.

I agree... I think it's because they don't want to stress that they've gone (back) to seven days.

WECT also started calling their 7-day a "planning forecast" a few months ago... I prefer the clever "6 Plus 1 Forecast."

From VARTV:

:// Another change at WTKR

| Saturday, August 11, 2007

You weren't seeing things tonight if you only saw one anchor reading the news on Local TV LLC's WTKR (CBS) Norfolk 11 p.m. newscast. The station has decided to use a solo anchor for its weekend newscasts, with Bob Matthews getting the anchor seat and Stacy Davis is back to reporting weekedays.

From VARTV:

You weren't seeing things tonight if you only saw one anchor reading the news on Local TV LLC's WTKR (CBS) Norfolk 11 p.m. newscast. The station has decided to use a solo anchor for its weekend newscasts, with Bob Matthews getting the anchor seat and Stacy Davis is back to reporting weekedays.

I actually liked the co-anchored weekend newscast myself... it's not something you see nowadays.

I think "planning forecast" sounds stupid. Just call it 7-day.

I agree... I think it's because they don't want to stress that they've gone (back) to seven days.

WECT also started calling their 7-day a "planning forecast" a few months ago... I prefer the clever "6 Plus 1 Forecast."

Or better yet ... the 5-Day + 2 Forecast

-- Matt

From VARTV:

I actually liked the co-anchored weekend newscast myself... it's not something you see nowadays.

The only two-anchor weekend I could remember was the Les Smith/Barbara Ciara team at WAVY during the 1980s.

But wait, there's more!

From VARTV:

:// WTKR shuffles the deck

Sports director Ted Alexander and weatherguesser meteorologist Dave Parker return

| Monday, August 20, 2007

The changes keep on coming at Local TV LLC's "NewsChannel 3" WTKR (CBS) Norfolk. After a meeting this afternoon at the station, management shuffles the on-air talent on all newscasts.

The morning show (5-7 a.m.) remains nearly intact (Bianca Martinez and Matt Keller anchoring, Patrick Rockey weather) with the exception at traffic. A new traffic reporter will debut soon replacing Ricardo Major. The new Traffic Reporter was hired from a recent talent search the station aired. The noon newscast has Barbara Ciara going solo with Patrick Rockey doing weather. Ciara previously anchored with Kurt Williams at noon.

At 5 p.m., it's Ciara with Pat McReynolds at the anchor desk, Mike Harvey with weather and no sports from 5-6 p.m. At 5:30, it's Kurt Williams going solo with Harvey doing weather. Martinez was co-anchoring with Williams. And at 6 and 11, Pat McReynolds goes solo anchoring (for now), Harvey with weather and the station promotes Ted Alexander as its new Sports Director. Current Sports Director Cory Curtis exits next week.

Weekend morning shows (Saturday and Sunday) will be anchored by Domonique Benn and the station welcomes back meteorologist Dave Parker for weather. The weekend evening and late night newscasts will be anchored by Bob Matthews, Vanessa Murdock with weather and Jason Barr doing sports.

Ted Alexander will once again be sports director and Dave Parker returns.

Hmm... maybe they're looking to hire a new co-anchor for 6 and 11.

Good move making Ted Alexander sports director again... he didn't make a good reporter at all. Sports is where he belongs.

I wonder if Priscilla Monti had to make a choice between news and weekend weather...

And putting Babs at noon seems to be one step in getting rid of her. Yay!

Now that she's NABJ (National Association of Black Journalists) president, I can't imagine them getting rid of her now without being worried about losing face just when things are starting to look good at 'TKR.

Yeah, but she's one thing that makes 'TKR look bad.

Definitely not the only thing, they need to get rid of some of the writers... some of the crap they make them read sounds completely unprofessional. And someone please tell them to cut the happy talk and useless comments.

People seem to put too much blame on Barbara for the low ratings when it's really what's going on behind the scenes.

She couldn't be that incompetent. If she's been in the business for 25 years and is still employable, that has to say something.

Further, her peers must think highly of her to make her president of the NABJ.

Is it a chemistry issue at WTKR? Is newsroom morale low? There are quite a few things that could make the product look bad. Unfortunately, if you're a primary anchor, those problems could unfairly be placed on you, even if the quality of your work isn't substandard.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anyone in the Hampton Roads market see the 5:30 broadcast at WTKR tonight? They had Ted Alexander anchoring! It wasn't like a substitute position either, considering Pat McReynolds was in and did the 5:00 and 6:00 shows.

What is going on at WTKR?!

I guess when you are 5th in a 3 station market during the dinner hour you just keep shooting in the barrel until you get something, and unfortunately they haven't yet. The embarrassment continues.

Thoughts anyone?

(BTW - I am not trying to degrade Ted Alexander, he was great back when he was the sports director but as a GA Reporter and now anchor, he is less than suave)

Ted was doing the 5:30 the last couple days of last week too. I only watched for a little bit, but he seemed better there than as a reporter. Maybe when Juliet Bickford arrives, Domonique and Ted will be the new 5:30 anchor team. If they bring back weekday sports, he'd be much better going back to that- I agree with you that he did much better doing that.

I hate "bashing" the station, I know they really do try... I hope I haven't pissed off any station brass with some of the things I've said, LOL :lol: They need to stick to some things before seeing the poor numbers in the book and changing it around again. WTKR's newscast the past several years has been a more light, entertaining newscast but I don't think that has worked. Their style has been a joke even among professionals in other markets, I saw a thread on TVSpy about WTKR but couldn't read part of it since I don't have a subscription there. If they want to be different, there are other options besides trying to be entertaining. The anchors joke around and stuff, but the truth is people never find it funny...

The lack of consistency continues! In reference to your comments, Ntropolis, tonight they had Domonique Benn doing the 5:00 and 6:00 shows, while Bianca Martinez was only on the 5:30. Martinez is supposedly the main evening anchor, but maybe they are reducing her workload now that she is pregnant.

I just hope they come up with something stable and stick with it! That is their main problem - changing things every week it seems!

Archived