Who will be first/next to go HD in your market?

rtmclaug

I have a feeling that a lot of cities will be without HD newscasts for many years; it's simply too expensive to make the switch from standard definition. Yes, a lot of stations will transmit their newscasts in SD when there is no HD programming from national, but I just don't see a lot of stations rushing to produce a 16:9 local newscast in 1080i.

Yes, a lot of stations will transmit their newscasts in SD when there is no HD programming from national, but I just don't see a lot of stations rushing to produce a 16:9 local newscast in 1080i.

...or 720p, since both are HDTV formats.

Anyway, I think you're going to see a lot more stations switching to standard definition 16:9, as more and more widescreen digital televisions make their way into American homes. Most ENG cameras are built to switch between 16:9/4:3 (I know for a fact Betacam SP/SX/Digi/IMX built within the last ten or so years are switchable, and those are the still the workhorses of ENG), so that's not a huge investment.

I agree--I don't see true HD being viable anytime soon. 16:9 MAYBE but I still think widescreen and HD are very niche markets, and will be going into the 2009 transition to digital. (Just because the analogue signal's being shut down doesn't mean DT automatically signals HD.)

The big problem right now with HD is that so few stations are actually doing it right. A lot of stations call their news HD but in truth the file video is still center cut 4:3, the footage being shot is still 4:3...the only thing that's actual HD are set cameras and maybe graphics. There are very few entities who want to do the HD transition right because it's not economically feasible. You have to buy HD playback machines (and that's sometimes for edit booths AND master control), you need see if the stuff coming in off the satellites--be it for the news or for other programming--is HD, there's even special makeup talent needs to buy for HD. More bandwidth = more $$$.

I aslo think that, when you don't do it right, the viewers call you on it. I'm not sure how many outlets are doing TRUE HD news right now, but from what I've been reading, some of the stations who have transitioned to HD-true or half-assing it--actually have seen ratings decline. Especially with news, you don't want to leave a viewer thinking that they're missing something--even if that something is asinine like center cut side bars. It's no better than jumping onto the next big news catchphrase like Live Local Latebreaking or getting the biggest baddest doppler and calling it Doppler Infinity Billion Squared +2. It can be just another "gimmick" if not executed properly.

Sunbeam television recently announced a $20 million commitment to HD transition...they only have two and a half (WHDH, WSVN, WLVI sorta) stations to worry about. If THEY don't get it right, nobody will.

-T

Here's what I think for my markets:

I have heard that WHDH will go HD before WBZ, sometime this year or early next year. I haven't heard too much about WBZ & WFXT going HD. (For Boston)

I think it is a tossup between WJAR & WPRI for first in HD, I don't think 6 will go HD untill after market 210 gets an HD newscast. ;) (For Providence)

You're right. WGAL should go HD first. I'm sorry. :(

No problem .... dont' worry about it.

WGAL has always been the area's leader for everything. First with live doppler ...... one of the only stations that had a weekday live news/topic show (12:30 Live), first with a live mobile newsroom truck (News 8 Livestar), which they hardly use, at least mention on-air. No doubt that they will be first in HD. It's only natural.

Speaking of WGAL, when are they going to get their FX set that all H/A stations are getting??

-- Matt

In St. Louis, it will probably be KMOV, and probably won't be until 2009. KTVI just spent a lot of cash on the new O&O look last year. KDNL has no news, so that's a given. KPLR, probably won't for some time. Tribune only has on station in HD, KTLA.

Just a hunch: Since KXAS didn't do anything this morning after yesterday's Jerry Lewis Telethon, I have a sneaking suspicion that they may do it on the 10th, when they unveil their new syndicated shows.

In St. Louis, it will probably be KMOV, and probably won't be until 2009. KTVI just spent a lot of cash on the new O&O look last year. KDNL has no news, so that's a given. KPLR, probably won't for some time. Tribune only has on station in HD, KTLA.

Hopefully Belo and Charter settle their HD retransmission consent feud first. It'll be a shme for Belo to put all that money out and have very few viewers. This situation is beyond sick. Belo claims Charter is not interested in settling. Us viewers lose out.

Seriously though, I read a while ago on this forum that 19 Action News would make the HD switch this fall.

WOIO was supposed to flip the HD switch this spring, but it did get pushed back to November sweeps.

As for the Bay Area, KPIX is supposedly transitioning to high definition newscasts this fall, which would make them the third HD shop in the market. Still no word on KNTV, though I'd probably guess sometime during the first half of 2008.

Archived