How come they're called photographers

Chicago2008

Question, how come TV cameraman/women are often referred to as photographers? Did the term just carry over from newspapers to broadcast journalism? I have always associated photographer with someone who takes still photos as opposed to videos. Thanks. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago2008 said:

Question, how come TV cameraman/women are often referred to as photographers? Did the term just carry over from newspapers to broadcast journalism? I have always associated photographer with someone who takes still photos as opposed to videos. Thanks. 

Thanks for asking this question as I've wondered it myself.

The phrase "Photo-journalist" isn't really used outside of the industry, so perhaps photographer is a simpler term; it's also  female inclusive unlike "cameraman".

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Probably goes back to the origins in newspapers where photography was the means of capturing images.  Even with television adopting film and later video, the term persists into this day.

Interesting. Much like soundbites are still called SOTs (sound on tape) in broadcast scripts, despite tape being defunct.

Edited by MediaZone4K

Video is moving pictures. I don’t think it’s too strange to call them photographers.

Every station can also have their quirks and have slightly different terms for the same role or function. I know KUSA is pretty adamant about calling them ‘photojournalists,’ while I know some stations also use the term “camera technician” or “ENG operator.” I also know that some stations used to have union contracts that were so strong that the ‘photographers’ were strictly there to worry about the camera and were forbidden from conducting interviews (that was the role of the reporter) or driving or operating the live truck (a role for the ‘live truck operator.’)

• Like 1