Lowdown on the Hambrick Brothers

10Viewer

Since there's been a lot of videos on YouTube with the Hambrick brothers, I've wanted to get them straight as far as where each one anchored. I just find it kind of funny that there were three (four??) brothers who all became news anchors at about the same time...

John Hambrick (the oldest):

Anchored in Cleveland during the 1960's/70's.

Then anchored at WNBC.

Then anchored at WTVJ until 1988 or so?

Judd Hambrick:

Anchored at WEWS until 1977.

Then anchored at WJKW (1977-1982)

Then anchored at WKYC (1982-84?)

Then went to Philadelphia (KYW?) and was only there a year. According to Larry Kane, he was really cocky.

Third Hambrick Brother:

KPNX

John Hambrick anchored at WTVJ until about 1989 then he anchored at WCIX until a little after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Mike Hambrick anchored at WBAL in the early 80s as well as at KTAR/KPNX, WPXI, and KTVT.

I know that both John and Mike are bald now. I know Mike is a spokesman for some national organization. I wonder what ever happened to Judd and John?

Since there's been a lot of videos on YouTube with the Hambrick brothers, I've wanted to get them straight as far as where each one anchored. I just find it kind of funny that there were three (four??) brothers who all became news anchors at about the same time...

John Hambrick (the oldest):

Anchored in Cleveland during the 1960's/70's.

Then anchored at WNBC.

Then anchored at WTVJ until 1988 or so?

Judd Hambrick:

Anchored at WEWS until 1977.

Then anchored at WJKW (1977-1982)

Then anchored at WKYC (1982-84?)

Then went to Philadelphia (KYW?) and was only there a year. According to Larry Kane, he was really cocky.

Third Hambrick Brother:

KPNX

Actually Judd was with WCAU for a year in the early 1970s at the period when management was attempting to groom a successor to John Facenda.

A couple of quotes from Larry Kane and John Facenda courtesy several astute YouTube viewers concerning Judd:

From "Larry Kane's Philadelphia": "Hambrick was cocky. At a testimonial lunch for Facenda, Hambrick asked when meeting me for the first time, 'Do you rent or own your home?' I answered, 'We rent an apartment.' Smiling broadly, Hambrick said, 'That's good, because I should be finishing you off in about a year.' Judd Hambrick left before the year was out, his ego shattered in the tough world of Philadelphia television. Cocky can get rocky when you play for all the marbles."

From John Facenda's obituary in the Philadelphia Inquirer from 1984: "Facenda, who seldom spoke ill of anyone, held Hambrick in contempt. 'I tried to get along with him,' Facenda said, 'but he spent more time fixing his hair than in learning how to pronounce Bala Cynwyd.'"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Judd never worked at WEWS. John was the Hambrick who worked there, leaving in 1975 and was replaced by Ted Henry, who's still at WEWS by the way.

Judd came to Cleveland in the early fall of 1977 as sole anchor of Newscenter 8 on WJKW-TV 8, replacing the team of Jim Hale and Jeff Maynor. Tim Taylor joined Judd as co-anchor approximately one year later. In the early fall of 1981, within a week of when a new set debuted, Judd was gone. From what was detailed in The Plain Dealer and The Cleveland Press, he'd be coming in around 5:30pm or so for the 6pm news show. Either he quit or got canned and a month or so after, the beautiful Tana Carli took over his spot.

In the fall of 1982, Judd began at WKYC-TV 3 as sole anchor of Action3News, displacing co-anchors Doug Adair and Mona Scott. Doreen Gentzler joined him as co-anchor in mid-December 1983. Judd remained there until early 1985 when he was replaced by Leon Bibb, who had been co-anchoring the weekend newscasts since 1979.

When Dick Feagler left the anchor chair at TV-3 in 1993 or 1994, Judd returned to the station and remained until his retirement about five years later.

It was believed that Judd's production company would be televising a show nationwide called Our American Exchange in 1983, but nothing ever came of it.

• 5 years later...
Guest Former Member 207

Also of note...Mike now works as a newsreader/anchor for Howard (Stern) 100 News on SiriusXM radio. He's been there since June.

Archived