Station New Years Wishes & Predictions

abc7 Man

What do you want to see your station do in the coming year? A new set? New graphics?

Also, make some predictions as to what you think your station will do.

WABC- new gfx (ones that look like they would be for HD)

(I know I have a NY station above, but I think this is a thread topic not limited to one market)

Well I am hoping that rumors of KFMB in San Diego going HD in January are true. That would be nice to start of the year above all other stations not only technology wise but ratings wise seeing as they are #1 at 5, 6:30 and 11pm. So I am hoping for KFMB HD with a brand new set and spiffy new grfx to go with it. :)

(I think this belongs here)

WTKR - The New York Times Company will find a good owner that will revamp the news operation completely, fire at least Barbara and Kurt, try to grab talent from other stations... Vanessa Coria from 13 or Stephanie Harris from 10, bring back "News 3"

WAVY - 50th anniversary special

WVEC - new set, new graphics, bring back Convergence or get a real news music package

WVBT - new set

My wishes:

KDFW: (I've said it now, for the umpteenth time) Kick Baron James to the curb and replace him with the far more talented Shawn Rabb. Clarice Tinsley deserves a much better partner at 5pm and 10pm.

KXAS: (although I know this will never happen) bring back the Texas News 5 days, when they actually had a decent newscast product.

WFAA: 1) Bring back the News 8 Update talent bumps at 10pm. 2) Replace Pete Delkus with Steve Mc Cauley (which is who they should have chosen as Troy Dungan's replacement to begin with). 3) Adopt WFAA8Fan's wonderful graphics package as an update to their current graphics. 4) More News 8 Investigates stories.

KTVT: Either make the 4pm news an hour long, or bring Inside Edition to 4pm and bump the news to 4:30.

KTXA: Develope a morning newscast. KDFW is the only game in town between 7am and 9am. TXA-21 could easily give Fox 4's Good Day a run for its money.

KDAF: Get yourselves out of the basement. DMA 6 deserves better than KDAF's flash-in-the-pan style news.

KFWD: DMA 6 already has enough TV news outlets. We don't need one more, Thank You.

Any one of the news stations: come up with a 6:30pm newscast. I think the station who does this could clean up in the 6:30-7pm time slot.

Thanks ;D

WTVF: Follow suit with their sister station KLAS in Las Vegas and start offering local news in HD.

WKRN: Dump their current set, and go for something new.

Sorry, but I got nothing to say for WSMV or WZTV at this time.

WSMV: Dump the Bland gfx.

WTVF: Get a new set. Dump the bland gfx.

Here's some good one's

WCBS - Start doing your news in Hi-Def and get better anchors and reporters. It could get you guys out of last place and put you in 3rd (which is not that bad).

WBBM - Keep doing better, and hopefully you guys will be back at number 1 by the time ya' know it.

And last but not least, KTLA and WPIX - Drop your current news packages. They both sound like crap.

WESH | Use NBC Flagship for the actual close (Even though the Hearst theme still sounds good) and rerecord your talent bumpers with the complete NBC Flagship and not with the Hearst theme sticking out at the end.

WKMG | Dump the production music and use CBS Enforcer (New Generation or disc 6 [WUSA Update])

WFTV | Use the KABC version of EWN:NG

WOFL | When you switch to the Fox O&O Pak, get a custom graphics update like WTVT's 10:00 Open ([yt=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lSzbEb5Ovk[/yt]) and play the actual closing music instead of the bumper at the end.

Oh, an some talent opens on any station would be nice.

WREG: Can't ask for much here yet. Riding high right now, hopefully ownership change doesn't ruin it.

WMC: Hire a News Director who brings the station back to the image it was known for from the 70s through Mid-90s. It would be nice to see different music and altered graphics (though leaps and bounds better than previous) but am asking for too much given its only been there two months. Bottom Line: Make the right hiring decisions (including better reporters) and you're on the way back to the top.

WHBQ: Keep doing what you're doing. Quickly becoming the best news product in the market.

WPTY/WLMT: Please dump PNP. I don't even care what music. And if you've made an entire new graphics package, although its still cheap, please apply it to ALL newscasts and don't continue to run the old garbage at 5, 6, 9 and 10. Don't ruin an improving product content by loading it with all the investigations, crime stories, and increasingly, fluff.

Oh, and any one station: Please go HD in 2007.

My new year wishes for the Lansing/jackson,Michigan Market

1-WLNS retains its status as "Mid-Michigan's News Leader",and maybe bring CBS NEWSPATH to lansing and not Detroit

2-WILX/WSYM; give WSYM a seperate studiio in case a sporting event goes over 10pm

3-SOMEONE PLEASE BUY WLAJ AND PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY!!

4-And a 10pm newscast for WHTV

KDBC - Someone PLEASE go over there and revive the station while you still can!...

KVIA - Looking Good. Keep it up. But PLEASE, for the love of god, dump the ABC Affiliate Package completely. Anything else is better...even Production Music!...

KTSM - Please hire more personel. Don't tell me you are broke from spending your budget on the set and the new weather graphics package with all the bells and whistles...

KFOX - I am hopeful that they will improve the current set and finally get to use CineMagic's graphic package. After that, maybe a few personel changes, then just maybe, there will be some competition in this market...

My wishes:

WFAA: 3) Adopt WFAA8Fan's wonderful graphics package as an update to their current graphics.

KTVT: Either make the 4pm news an hour long, or bring Inside Edition to 4pm and bump the news to 4:30.

KTXA: Develope a morning newscast. KDFW is the only game in town between 7am and 9am. TXA-21 could easily give Fox 4's Good Day a run for its money.

KDAF: Get yourselves out of the basement. DMA 6 deserves better than KDAF's flash-in-the-pan style news.

KFWD: DMA 6 already has enough TV news outlets. We don't need one more, Thank You.

Any one of the news stations: come up with a 6:30pm newscast. I think the station who does this could clean up in the 6:30-7pm time slot.

Thanks ;D

WFAA: what gfx? link please!

KTVT: I agree. They actually gave KXAS competition, I thought when they had it an hour long.

KTXA: Yeah, I'd appreciate it. Even though, I won't always see it. There's usually nothing else on (Today, GMA & Early Show are too crappy for me)

KDAF: I doubt they'll ever get out of the basement unless they turn into a DFW version of KPIX.

KFWD: doesn't really bother me, because all it does is show the repeat of the 6 & 10 newscasts on WFAA. Now, if it was it's own newscast, I'd hate it too!

And last but not least, KTLA and WPIX - Drop your current news packages. They both sound like crap.

Am I the only one who thinks the WPIX Custom Package is one of the best news themes in New York? It's really catchy, especially the close. Hell it sure beats The Viper on WWOR. KTLA shouldn't have dumped Flashpoint or went with something better.

WESH | Use NBC Flagship for the actual close (Even though the Hearst theme still sounds good) and rerecord your talent bumpers with the complete NBC Flagship and not with the Hearst theme sticking out at the end.

WKMG | Dump the production music and use CBS Enforcer (New Generation or disc 6 [WUSA Update])

WFTV | Use the KABC version of EWN:NG

WOFL | When you switch to the Fox O&O Pak, get a custom graphics update like WTVT's 10:00 Open (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lSzbEb5Ovk) and play the actual closing music instead of the bumper at the end.

WESH- Agreed but the Hearst theme is crap anyway.

WKMG- Agreed but I'd go with News Source or Image News.

WFTV- 100% Agreed, the current theme doesn't match the graphics which were really made for their former theme News Matrix Version 2 Theme. WFTV, the only station in the market who's got it together!!! A dominant #1 for a while.

WOFL- As much as I dislike this station because they are nothing like market neighbor WTVT, I think Fox needs to feed more money in to this station for talent especially in sports where the supposed "sports director" is only on every few days, if they can't do that, how about a cool idea, outsource it to WTVT where they take sports seriously and I'm sure Chip Carter, Kevin O'Donnell, or Chris Fields could put together a good 2 minute sports segment.

WRDQ(WFTV)- Since WFTV has Oprah at 4pm, add a half-hour 4pm newscast to their sister station to compete with WKMG and WESH to show that even their sister station can whoop up on those two. Maybe add a 1pm newscast as well.

WSIL-Dump EVERYTHING, one of the worst news stations in our area. Add a Midday Newscast.

WPSD-Dont Dump Anything, maybe update the graphics. Otherwise it is one of the best news markets in the area.

KFVS-UPDATE a lot of things. Get your own Radar and not mooch it off someone else. Update the set, heck even change the name. CBS 12 News, not bad.

KBSI-If it wasnt for WPSD, there would be no news on here. If it wasnt for KBSI, I would not be watching WPSD.

WQWQ-They are ok, but no one can see it because it is not on Dish Network, which has led me to watch KBSI, and eventually WPSD.

WRDQ(WFTV)- Since WFTV has Oprah at 4pm, add a half-hour 4pm newscast to their sister station to compete with WKMG and WESH to show that even their sister station can whoop up on those two. Maybe add a 1pm newscast as well.

Nice! Make another KCAL in Orlando! :p ;D

My wishes:

WFAA: 3) Adopt WFAA8Fan's wonderful graphics package as an update to their current graphics.

Thanks ;D

WFAA: what gfx? link please!

Sorry :-[ ;D Here ya' go:

http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum/index.php?topic=190.0

KDAF: I doubt they'll ever get out of the basement unless they turn into a DFW version of KPIX.

The only thing worse that could happen to KDAF's news division is that they become (groans please...) a Sincrap station. Your right: What DMA 6/North Texas needs is a really good Eyewitness News station. That would be right up KDAF's alley, if they'd only realize that.

If the logic holds true that a DMA is only as good as its worst station, KDAF is what's holding the Dallas-Fort Worth market back, as far as news stations are concerned. With the 5 Big Four stations we have (Fox 4 [O&O], NBC 5 [O&O], ABC 8 [belo's flagship], and 11/21 [the CBS O&O duopoly]), we can't afford to have a station with a second-rate news division.

WGCL: Keep the Noon, 4pm, 6pm, 11pm, and Weekend newscasts... Bring back the Morning and 5pm newscasts.

I doubt they will bring back the 5pm newscast, but it looks like the morning show will return next year.

Under Job Listings for CBS46:

Executive Producer-Lifestyle

Responsible for line producing and supervising all aspects of station's morning program, including development and execution of both show content and program format. This program will be edgy and feature heavy lifestyle and entertainment content along with traffic and weather.

Archived