Dave Clark leaves KCAL9 to KTVU San Fran

News4LA

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2007/09/dave_clark_heads_north.php

Dave Clark heads north

by Kevin Roderick

KCAL9 and CBS2 anchor Dave Clark starts November 1 as anchor of the top-rated morning news at Channel 2 in San Francisco. His email to friends says "I have spent the past year being 'wined and dined' and 'wooed' by the major TV Networks and top TV stations around the country. It has been tremendously flattering and humbling experience.... I will be commuting home, and will continue to be active in prominent civic, charitable, and social activities in both Los Angeles and San Francisco [and] continue appearing in Hollywood movies and on Network TV shows filmed in Hollywood..."

I really liked him on the weekends. He seemed live a very nice guy. Wish him well.

Truly, a huge loss for KCBS/KCAL. Dave was a very solid anchor/reporter, and he did very well alongside Leyna Nguyen. One has to wonder how the duopoly was able to lose him. You don't find very many Dave Clark's out there, and when you do have one they are a big asset. Dave should have been the permanent replacement to Kilbride and Jackson when they left 2/9. Instead the bone head news director and the inept GM have managed to get rid of or let good veterans leave the duopoly. To think that some on this board actually think that KCBS/KCAL has good management. The evidence stacks up, yes KCBS may be a solid #2, but look at the reason why. KNBC is free falling because of the 2.0 cuts, and the lack of good programming to provide a good lead-in to The Channel 4 Newscasts. KCBS is hiring younger and younger on-air people, that are not ready for market #2, to replace those veterans with many years of experience. Give it about a year or so, and you will see KCBS/KCAL sink to the ground, let's hope that Pat Harvey is not the next one to leave.

Dave Clark did leave KCAL for a time in 1999, to go over to KNBC. But yes, it sucks, and CBS has become to reliant to Foxifying itself for ratings. Notice how the news anchor dress a little more liberally than they did in the past and KCBS's presence on KCAL. It seems that Dave Gonzales, Mia Lee, Pat Harvey and Sylvia Lopez are among the few remaining KCALers left. Well there's also Dave Bryan, David Goldstein, et al. But Harold Greene and Ann Martin are really making themselves known at 9. The weekend ratings are going to slip and KCBS/CAL is bringing itself down. Just when we thought.

But then again, as I have said before, Los Angeles has become another Bakersfield, as many of the fine talents we have enjoyed are being replaced with those who have less experience and less knowledge about covering Southern California. Most people here are just here to be seen and heard, after all, we all know what became of Lisa Joyner et al.

KTVU has one of the best news programs in the country. I wonder if Dave will replace Frank Somerville on Mornings on 2, as Frank now anchors the 5pm News. Maybe he'll get to do 6pm as well, leading the great Dennis Richmond back only to the 10 O'Clock News. It's a great show.

BTW. Great to see Dave remain in Los Angeles, He's done a lot for the community and despite being from Philly, really knows how things are done here. While he won't be on 9, he'll be around.

• 2 weeks later...

Truly, a huge loss for KCBS/KCAL. Dave was a very solid anchor/reporter, and he did very well alongside Leyna Nguyen. One has to wonder how the duopoly was able to lose him. You don't find very many Dave Clark's out there, and when you do have one they are a big asset. Dave should have been the permanent replacement to Kilbride and Jackson when they left 2/9. Instead the bone head news director and the inept GM have managed to get rid of or let good veterans leave the duopoly. To think that some on this board actually think that KCBS/KCAL has good management. The evidence stacks up, yes KCBS may be a solid #2, but look at the reason why. KNBC is free falling because of the 2.0 cuts, and the lack of good programming to provide a good lead-in to The Channel 4 Newscasts. KCBS is hiring younger and younger on-air people, that are not ready for market #2, to replace those veterans with many years of experience. Give it about a year or so, and you will see KCBS/KCAL sink to the ground, let's hope that Pat Harvey is not the next one to leave.

Compared to it's other CBS sisters, KCBS/KCAL management are more smarter. The problem with the duopoly is that they hire good talent with a heavy price tag, then they need to cut costs and they get rid of the good talent. They should give them a pay cut, not to lay them off. That is exactly what happened with Special Assignment. Budget cuts. KNBC might not be right now "The Southland's #1 Late News" but they aren't giving up just yet, more over, in May, the difference between KCBS and KNBC were IIRC a .5 difference. And remember who is they new guy at FOX, yep, you guess it, Dennis Swanson, the same guy who hired Johnny Mountain with out even consulting Don Corsini and letting Byron Miranda go. He likes to steal away the good talent from the competition. Dave Clark, great guy, CBS 2/KCAL 9 loss is now KTVU gain, and a big gain. I don't think Pat Harvey is going to leave KCAL/KCBS unless she gets the lead female anchor on any other channel, nevertheless, I can see Pat anchoring CBS 2 News @ 5 & 11 when Don & Nancy decide it's no longer cost-efficient to have Laura anchoring there.

Back to topic, Bye Dave, even though I didn't lived in LA, but watch the news you anchored, you are a great anchor, may you have a good luck at your new station.

Archived