WPXI's Move

takingaction4you

This is the case. Just this morning after the weather report, Scott Harbaugh said "That's the latest from Severe Weather Center 11." There was an awkward pause, followed by 15 seconds of a WPXI ID. After that, we cut to the middle of a sports report from the previous night (ironically, there was a problem with the sports report on the 11:00 newscast the night before). There isn't even a sports report on the morning news, so you knew something was wrong.

There were also frequent screw ups with lower 3rds and the like. All kinds of lower thirds would pop up at random, incorrect times.

It was like they've never used the equipment, I swear. They must've brought someone in that knew nothing and sat them down in front of this shiny new Ignite system half an hour before airtime and told them to make the entire show.

It happened again this evening on their WPGH newscast. For nearly the first 30 minutes was FOX53 and MyPittsbughTV promos (no 11 promos though), followed by Darieth Chisholm at 1030 stating "thanks for sticking with us though our technical difficulties..."

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump an old topic... but were we ever able to determine the creator of WPXI's graphics? I was told about two months ago by someone at FX (set designer) that they were done in house... this true?

Sorry to bump an old topic... but were we ever able to determine the creator of WPXI's graphics? I was told about two months ago by someone at FX (set designer) that they were done in house... this true?

Ew, Tyler, you know better. Remember when they scotch-taped LIVE, LOCAL, LATEBREAKING into their already-fucked-up VDO opens? That was in house. WPXI can't even take a super at the right time, how in the hell could they go HD?

:D

Ew, Tyler, you know better. Remember when they scotch-taped LIVE, LOCAL, LATEBREAKING into their already-fucked-up VDO opens? That was in house. WPXI can't even take a super at the right time, how in the hell could they go HD?

:D

Ah, how could I forget that lame open! I won't lie... I laughed the first time I saw it, what a shitty open that was. But good point, I should of known they weren't done in house.

BTW, I still think using "Live Local Latebreaking" AND "News Coverage You Can Count On" in the same open is COMPLETELY stupid, though they do seem to pull it off okay.

Archived