WPXI's Move

takingaction4you

As most of you know, WPXI moved into their new facility this past Saturday, and so far things haven't been going so well.

It's not out of the ordinary for the open to not play, black to roll for longer than 3 seconds, and lower 3rds to pop up at random times. It's also routine for the teleprompter to fail or live reports to be pushed back. (WPXI's top story was pushed back to 5:15) Last night the audio was down ridiculously low while the music for weather and teases were put up at full blast. The first night they sent out the 16:9 signal through the analog channel and there was no HD.

I understand moving to a new location is a large task, but haven't they rehearsed the shows enough to catch these huge glitches? Has anyone else been noticing these types of errors, and is this routine for other stations undergoing huge changes like that?

I understand moving to a new location is a large task, but haven't they rehearsed the shows enough to catch these huge glitches? Has anyone else been noticing these types of errors, and is this routine for other stations undergoing huge changes like that?

Yes, I've been noticing them for months now... ever since WPXI implemented their new Ignite automation. It's gotten worse since the move, though. This morning during Today breaks, I was treated to Chris Cimino asking whether he was to toss to Matt or Meridith. "This Meridith over here, or that one there?" No local weather, and during the news breaks and teases, all you could hear was Newlin Archinal muttering under her breath.

automating your newscasts can either make them flawless or a disaster. you have to remember and plan every little detail before the show happens, i don't know how challenging changing things on the fly is, i will find out on wednesday and let you guys know, i am going through producer training for our new automation system debuting later this month.

It's not out of the ordinary for the open to not play, black to roll for longer than 3 seconds, and lower 3rds to pop up at random times. It's also routine for the teleprompter to fail or live reports to be pushed back.

That's not the new building's fault, that's Ignite at work. It's a piece of crap system that's just not ready for prime time. When KTVU, another Cox station, first installed Ignite last year and actually began running with it in full automation mode, there were always a few issues every show. Graphics were wrong, popping up at random times, mics were being clipped, etc etc. Now, there's always just about one technical snafu per show. It's just Ignite, and I suggest you get used to it.

It's not out of the ordinary for the open to not play, black to roll for longer than 3 seconds, and lower 3rds to pop up at random times. It's also routine for the teleprompter to fail or live reports to be pushed back.

That's not the new building's fault, that's Ignite at work. It's a piece of crap system that's just not ready for prime time. When KTVU, another Cox station, first installed Ignite last year and actually began running with it in full automation mode, there were always a few issues every show. Graphics were wrong, popping up at random times, mics were being clipped, etc etc. Now, there's always just about one technical snafu per show. It's just Ignite, and I suggest you get used to it.

Ignite is pretty bad, and I'd venture to say that it's almost as bad as the original PVTV systems. That said, 11 did have most everything worked out prior to the move. The Post-Gazette says that GM Ray Carter attributes it to the system having to interact with new equipment. My question is, why didn't they wait to move to Ignite until they had the new building ready to occupy? This would have given them time to learn the ins and outs of the new system and how it behaves before forcing it upon a real product. Why take the time to install it for 4 months at one location, work out most of the kinks and then move it to a totally new location with all-new everything?

The constant glitches are just incredibly numerous. It was almost comical as the first two live reports yesterday on the 5PM news failed and WPXI's top story was moved 15 minutes back. I honestly couldn't watch them; it was like watching the bad tapings of our school morning announcements program.

WPXI looks like they have a classy new look, but if I can't watch them without getting annoyed, then I just won't watch. I've been going back to KDKA because they can at least put together a decent product. I'll give them another try in a week or so when (I hope) they fix the automated system. WPXI's newscasts (or newscast attempts) made me turn off the television out of sheer annoyance; I have never done that before.

On another note, I'm going to try to get video sometime of a newscast and put some caps/videos on later tonight.

I am disappointed at the Severe weather center.

They had $30 million dollars, and all they could come up with was that???

Sorry... but I'm still a WTAE guy.

Here are the caps from WPXI; they seem to be doing better with the errors tonight. It only happens every 10 minutes rather than every 2. :)

Image0.jpgImage1.jpg

Image2.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpgImage5.jpgImage6.jpgImage7.jpgImage8.jpgImage9.jpgImage10.jpgImage11.jpgImage12.jpgImage13.jpgImage14.jpgImage15.jpg

Image16.jpgImage17.jpg

I just have a little bit of video attached to the post. It's the open and a tease with a promo. I'll try to get more out sometime this week.

th_tvnt.jpg

As an Ignite operator myself, I can vouch for the fact that the system does have its issues, but about 99% of the shows I do come off as cleanly as traditionally-staffed newscasts. The problem is stations are in such a hurry to implement these systems the directing staff isn't trained properly and often things that should be tested before the station goes on-air with the system wind up working themselves out on the air.

Given time things will get better. It won't be overnight, but a properly trained staff and properly maintained automated system can and do work on a regular basis.

Edit:

I should mention I don't work at WPXI... sorry if I gave anyone that impression.

I'm sorry, but I have never heard so much criticsm for a studio that has been FULLY functional a whole what "FIVE" days. Yes the building has been mostly complete for a few months, but to quote the article in the Post Gazette on September 28th: Moving the newscast from Television Hill to the new Summer Hill facility requires the movement of 1,000 pieces of equipment, Carter said, which will begin after the 11 p.m. news ends next Friday. So maybe they don't have everything tweaked and running perfectly, but just like when ANYONE moves to a new house, it takes a "tiny" bit of adjustment. Come on give'm a break. Jeez.....

Sweet, thanks. The set is eh, should have Black Walnut create it. What does FOX53 News at 10 look like? Different music?

Haha... FOX53 at 10=WPXI with Deadlines. No joke. They are still using Deadlines with the new graphics. If you thought it was terrible before, putting Deadlines with the new graphics is even worse.

I'm sorry, but I have never heard so much criticsm for a studio that has been FULLY functional a whole what "FIVE" days. Yes the building has been mostly complete for a few months, but to quote the article in the Post Gazette on September 28th: Moving the newscast from Television Hill to the new Summer Hill facility requires the movement of 1,000 pieces of equipment, Carter said, which will begin after the 11 p.m. news ends next Friday. So maybe they don't have everything tweaked and running perfectly, but just like when ANYONE moves to a new house, it takes a "tiny" bit of adjustment. Come on give'm a break. Jeez.....

No, no, no. We are not talking about minor expected bugs when a switch of this magnitude happens. We are talking newscast ruining bugs. The newscasts are barely watchable at this point.

KYW seemed to make it look easy, and they're owned by the CBS!

I thought this was interesting:

He said the Cox-owned station in San Francisco has no problems using it on the air' date=' but other stations (Cox and others) with automation have had meltdowns similar to or worse than those on WPXI. [/quote']

I thought this was interesting:

He said the Cox-owned station in San Francisco has no problems using it on the air' date=' but other stations (Cox and others) with automation have had meltdowns similar to or worse than those on WPXI. [/quote']

LIES! My assessment is true...if you don't believe me, watch any KTVU newscast. Before going to Ignite, the shows were pretty much flawless from a technical standpoint. But ever since Ignite went live there is still at least one little glitch in every show.

LIES! My assessment is true...if you don't believe me, watch any KTVU newscast. Before going to Ignite, the shows were pretty much flawless from a technical standpoint. But ever since Ignite went live there is still at least one little glitch in every show.

http://www.tvnewstalk.net/matt/11close.mp4

Glitchy close. To their credit, it was about the only thing that went wrong today.

Also, open! I'll get more on YouTube shortly for those interested; I just realized this nifty Firewire output on my cable box today!

• 2 weeks later...

I Though The problem at WPXI would get better. They Aren't Getting getting better.

From TV Spy ShopTalk newsletter

...from Pittsburgh:

WPXI Meltdown...More Channel 11 blunders

From Rob Owen at the Post-Gazette:

Just when it seemed like WPXI had its technical difficulties under control, last night's 11 p.m. news was marred by a report that froze, which resulted in a string of commercials, maybe as long as five minutes.

"We want to apologize for the technical difficulties we've had," said news anchor Darieth Chisolm when the newscast resumed. "Thanks for hanging in for us."

Later, video froze during John Fedko's spotscast, his microphone went out and a promo eventually cut him off in mid-sentence. Anchors Chisolm and David Johnson returned again to put the newscast out of its misery, apologizing again for the flubs. They then sat there for a long 11 seconds, looking uncomfortable as ambient studio sound played (no music, no sound effects) until they were finally off the hook as the newscast cut to commercial. Another day, another embarrassing Channel 11 newscast.

Not to be outdone, a commercial for a "Just Pay Half" sale on WPXI.com followed. One problem: it was a sale "starting April 10th." Would that be in 2007 or 2008?

Archived