WVEC Set Celebrates 11 Years

Ntropolis

Today, WVEC's set that is currently used for evenings marks its 11th year on the air. It was used for all newscasts until July when a new set debuted for mornings.

On October 14, 1996, WVEC unveiled the set that is still used to this day, with minor changes along the way.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1996/vp961014/10120067.htm

WVEC25.jpg

WVEC10.jpg

WVEC101.jpg

WVEC37.jpg

Let's hope you ditch it soon!

Oh yeah well the set at WWKK-TV celebrated its 5th year, 7th month, 13th day and 8th hour of operation. Just thought you might like to know.

Name a station whose set has been around for at least 11 years with little to no modifications (besides KWQC).

That wasn't my point. My point was actually that the other 95% of people on here aren't from the Hampton Roads area and don't care to know every little painful intricate detail of the goings-on (and endless speculation) of that market's stations.

I guess 95% of people don't care about WHO's graphics... http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum/index.php/topic,582.0.html

I hate to turn into an ass, but my post was sarcasm and for humor, which I apparently failed at doing. In fact, I am not usually the first to post about the goings-on of things in this market... I leave that job up to newsie and WAVY 10.

And if this set makes it to 12 years, it's guaranteed that I'll post a "WVEC Set Celebrates 12 Years" post.

I'd like to get the rest of the Po7's opinion on this.

Thank you.

I guess 95% of people don't care about WHO's graphics... http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum/index.php/topic,582.0.html

I hate to turn into an ass, but my post was sarcasm and for humor, which I apparently failed at doing. In fact, I am not usually the first to post about the goings-on of things in this market... I leave that job up to newsie and WAVY 10.

And if this set makes it to 12 years, it's guaranteed that I'll post a "WVEC Set Celebrates 12 Years" post.

I'd like to get the rest of the Po7's opinion on this.

Thank you.

ANCHORTEEEEEEEEEEEAMMMMMM!

ASSSEMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Considering that the set is 11 years old, it doesn't look that bad. But it definitely has an nineties vibe to it.

I'd be surprised if that set saw a 12th year...

I agree, it's not too bad. Definitely needs an update though.

The only reason I posted that thread is because it's actually a nice look and judging by the responses, people were glad I posted it and were surprised that the station has that good of a look. Also I think it's kind of funny how a lot of people like to sit around and endlessly speculate about what just *might* (OOOH GOODY GOODY) be happening at WTKR this week because they slightly shifted a plasma two feet to the right. One more thing: If you're so obsessed with TV news why don't you go out and get a job??

Also I think it's kind of funny how a lot of people like to sit around and endlessly speculate about what just *might* (OOOH GOODY GOODY) be happening at WTKR this week because they slightly shifted a plasma two feet to the right.

We're not that bad. I sure as hell wouldn't post about something like that.

One more thing: If you're so obsessed with TV news why don't you go out and get a job??

I'm 16 (to you, I guess that means I do not know anything), live 30-45 minutes away from the stations, so it's kinda hard to get a job at one. I am in a digital media production class at school, so I'm not a fanboy. I do plan to go into the business (I'd like to go into the promotion/marketing dept).

cfif, have you ever even been in a tv station? Do you even know why Scripps is supposedly a bad owner? I can think of plenty more. Have you ever ever worked for a tv station or a bad owner? Cuz I know I have and it makes WFTS look like a vacation. I bet I even know more people at WFTS and I've never even seen one of their newscasts, nor have I been to Florida. Do you even know Bill Carey? I don't but I wouldn't go posting that he was an asshole just because of hearsay on some messageboard.

I hate to turn into an ass, but my post was sarcasm and for humor, which I apparently failed at doing.

You didn't fail at all. Keep in mind, NAN is somebody who doesn't know what Anti-Spyware software does.

I too have DSL, and we have problems up the yang with pop-ups, and the computer is just plain slow. I also keep getting the same popups over and over again. To get to this message board, it can take over two minutes to pop up sometimes. It usually takes 3-5 minutes to get to TVspy message boards. And to open my email takes a good 10 minutes. I'm told from a computer geek friend that a reason for this happening is because i have Windows ME, and she says thats probably the root of all my problems.

You didn't fail at all. Keep in mind, NAN is somebody who doesn't know what Anti-Spyware software does.

Um, kay. Windows Me? Could it have something to do with the fact that said computer is ancient, probably runs at 1/8th of today's speeds and has the one operating system Microsoft itself won't run?

Also, could you be a bigger douchebag? I mean seriously, if you look at the topic and it doesn't interest you, don't click it. This isn't slashdot, so don't needlessly flame members who do actually contribute.

Coincidentally, I do believe KDKA's set is on year 11 also, albeit with some moderate changes along the way.

Oh yeah well the set at WWKK-TV celebrated its 5th year, 7th month, 13th day and 8th hour of operation. Just thought you might like to know.

Name a station whose set has been around for at least 11 years with little to no modifications (besides KWQC).

WGAL.

-- matt

• 1 year later...

Not to make this a bump from hell...but I knew the topic had already been talked about so I thought it best not to start a whole new thread.

Anyway, looks like WVEC updated their main evening set today. Nothing too drastic, looks like new paint and some different backdrop. They took down the large "13" that was in the back between the two anchors.

Noon newscast was done from the morning set, presumably so these changes could be made to the evening set.

Can see some of it, but not all, on their live cam:

http://www.wvec.com/cams/studio.html

Not to make this a bump from hell...but I knew the topic had already been talked about so I thought it best not to start a whole new thread.

Anyway, looks like WVEC updated their main evening set today. Nothing too drastic, looks like new paint and some different backdrop. They took down the large "13" that was in the back between the two anchors.

Noon newscast was done from the morning set, presumably so these changes could be made to the evening set.

Can see some of it, but not all, on their live cam:

http://www.wvec.com/cams/studio.html

New paint, still can't see the main set yet (will probably have to look at tonight). I noticed the 13 logo is still on the screen, so I doubt they may be about to change the logo.

They probably expanded the AM set "circle" (sorry, that's what it looks like) to have it usable as a primary set.

In the webcam it looks like a bright orange, but on-air it looks more like honey-stained wood. It translates well on-air and makes it brighter, less dull. The loss of the "13" looks kinda funny since I'm so used to seeing it. On the right side of the set, the globes and old ABC logo are gone and are now replaced by a mural-like thing with the new glossy ABC logo and the 13News logo.

In the webcam it looks like a bright orange, but on-air it looks more like honey-stained wood. It translates well on-air and makes it brighter, less dull. The loss of the "13" looks kinda funny since I'm so used to seeing it. On the right side of the set, the globes and old ABC logo are gone and are now replaced by a mural-like thing with the new glossy ABC logo and the 13News logo.

I also saw some monitors on the sides when they showed Scott Cash for instance. I don't remember seeing those on the main set before.

If it wasn't for the logo on some of those monitors, I'd think there may be a new logo.

WSVN has had their "newscenter" set for 10 or so years. Their changes have been cosmetic.

WDJT has had the same newsdesk since 1996. They repainted the newsroom in 1999 or 2000 from a weird green color to its current mesh of blues' date=' oranges, and yellows that you see today.[/quote']

8 years later, they make a new graphics package based on the newsroom paint job..

:rolleyes:

Archived