The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm watching it now on my HDTV. On the SD feed its still showing the old logo and the audio is fine, while on the HD feed, the new logo is off to the side and cropped off on the right, their audio was garbled and in and out throughout most of the newscast. It's safe to say, they probably should have waited until 5:00 to premiere, cause it seems they have alot of kinks to get out. To be the second station in DC to go HD, you thought they would know what to do.

Yes, you would think!

5:00 seems to be much better. It is interesting how this is a quite premiere. But on the HD feed, the ABC 7 logo is still cut off horribly, and you totally cannot see the time because it is so small. However, the opens and full screens are pretty nice. It is somewhat of an update to their old graphics. And the Live bug is pretty nice and animate, as are the L3s. Who knows, they might work out the kinks in the next few weeks.

(still a better product IMO, than W*USA.)

The reason it was a quiet premiere was when WUSA went HD they milked it like crazy as most 'First in HD' stations do. But i must admit it looks good, the graphics are a nice update. Enough that it could blind you, especially the open lol. But, nevertheless I am just waiting patiently for my station WRC (News 4) to go HD.

WUSA is still annoying with the "First in HD". Unfortunately, nobody can take that from them, unless someone invents a time machine and convinces another station to launch in HD before WUSA. Honestly, they're going to drive me to start time travel research. I'd also use the time machine to stop Gannett from embarking on its lame centralized graphics!

I caught WJLA's 5pm graphics on my SD setup. They're much nicer than the old ones Though I missed 6pm, so I don't know what the regular open looks like (5pm opened with "Breaking News").

WUSA is still annoying with the "First in HD". Unfortunately, nobody can take that from them, unless someone invents a time machine and convinces another station to launch in HD before WUSA. Honestly, they're going to drive me to start time travel research. I'd also use the time machine to stop Gannett from embarking on its lame centralized graphics!

I caught WJLA's 5pm graphics on my SD setup. They're much nicer than the old ones Though I missed 6pm, so I don't know what the regular open looks like (5pm opened with "Breaking News").

I saw the 6pm open online and they used the "Breaking News" open. The graphics are classy.

I posted screencaps from WJLA's 5 and 6pm HD newscasts below. Pardon the lines and distortion in the pictures; they were taken with my digital camera. I think the new HD look is much better than the old look, however they need to move the logo bug over so it can be seen on the SD feed of the newscast. Now the next thing they need to do is get a new HD set. I'm thinking the set is going to stay as they added a TV to the front of the desk.

wjlahd3.thumb.jpg.5f0a90f1a944d6284995c837c8ff6ec5.jpg

I think the new HD look is much better than the old look, however they need to move the logo bug over so it can be seen on the SD feed of the newscast.

No wonder I didn't see any logo bug. I need to get hooked up to digital cable. (I have a HD set, but I didn't care to pay more for the same TV... I still hold out hope that digital will stop being a $7/month surcharge from my cable people.)

Join the club. It's been almost five months since WAVY went HD...and they have NO intention of letting anyone forget it.

Does KABC still overuse the fact they were LA's first HD newscast?

they do and they're pretty dang proud of it! They don't care what anyone else thinks. No one else does so. They recently aired new ads with the slogan "There goes than HD newsvan again."

WBZ is now in HD. Pretty half-assed in my opinion; all field cameras are in SD, the open is in SD, their awful old set was painted bright blue and yellow and they slapped up a new flat screen monitor. The weather graphics are still the same, but they added a WHDH-esque virtual weather center, but in true BZ fashion, it is nowhere near the quality of WHDH.

The bug is displayed differently on HD and SD feeds, it's not cut off.

At least on my Comcast cable system, the SD feed of WJLA (on analog cable channel 7) did not have any logo bug at all during the news until today as the logo bug was located in the "16:9 pillar area" that can only be seen on the HD feed. I confirmed this on a 4:3 analog TV to make sure it was the same. I don't think its a Comcast issue as WJLA-SD has letterboxed commercials during primetime which appear in widescreen on WJLA-HD. Maybe you were watching the OTA analog signal and the logo bug was different on the SD feed that way? Given the technical difficulties they had with their HD switch, I'd not be surprised if that was the case.

Just to note, WJLA now has the logo bug in the 4:3 safe area so it can be seen the same on both the SD and HD feeds.

WCAU's HD set looks interesting...it's different. Too bad I probably won't see anything like that on WRC for another ten years, if not longer. WRC is so cheap they'll probably simply have HD studio shots, but keep their 10-year-old set and SD graphics.

It's about time someone else in took the step toward HD other than WAVY.

I hope they do go HD soon, maybe new graphics will come with it.

I wonder what the deal is with WVEC. It's almost like they forgot, as I said in the Christmas Wish thread, digital widescreen does not equal HD. Good for 'TKR, though.

Archived