The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Very true, except what I would call the "New School" FX, which I have come to really love! I might also add that "360" by 360 Music makes for a great combo with the new set and graphics. Graphics look either to be Renderon or GO.

It's a Renderon job. The glass skyline and buildings are much like that of WPRI's graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPMI in Mobile may very well be the next station in Mobile to take the plunge into HD News....according to this job posting...

http://602communications.com/2012/01/graphic-designer-local-15-utv44-mobile-al-pensacola-fl/

And word on the street is that WALA may not be far behind them. They could use a refresh.....very badly....

If this post from foxcitiestv.com is to be believed, WLUK may be going HD soon. They're [as far as I know] almost there; I think the Ignite system/robocams they installed a few years back are HD [can't see why they'd waste time installing new SD-only equipment], and I have seen one of their photogs with an HD XDCam out in the field.....

• 2 weeks later...

WALA is doing their news on a different set as of Saturday's 9pm show. It looks like the old set they used to use for their morning news before they moved all news programs to their main newsroom set.

With all the recent upgrades at LIN stations both completed and announced....WALA may be next on LIN's list to upgrade to HD.

• 2 weeks later...

As said in the shoutbox, WHP is going HD news very soon. They are now broadcasting from the newsroom.

What Was Happening Today!

Link above shows them taking a sledgehammer to the weather center. Looks like total set construction.

Last HLLY station to go HD news. Let the speculation begin. :)

-- Matt

As said in the shoutbox, WHP is going HD news very soon. They are now broadcasting from the newsroom.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Link above shows them taking a sledgehammer to the weather center. Looks like total set construction.

Last HLLY station to go HD news. Let the speculation begin. :)

-- Matt

They're broadcasting the weather from a hallway...PRICELESS. :rofl!:

WPMI in Mobile confirmed they are going HD on their 10pm newscast...their temporary set is using parts of their existing set, and they showed a shot of their now vacant studio being stripped down to the bare walls.

With WALA upgrading as well....this will round out the Mobile-Pensacola market with all stations doing HD news by the end of May!

WLUK is officially beginning the transition. Tonight's newscasts are being broadcast from their News and Content Center. They're likely just building a new set [or revamping the current one]......don't see much tech-wise they'd need to do in there.

UPDATE ON WHP CBS21 HD NEWS SET ... Got a CONFIRMATION that it will be a Devlin set. Devlin's Blog here has all of the inforamtion ... Already looks LIGHTYEARS better than27, and it's not even designed yet. As for graphics, I don't think there will be a change, but they are overdue.

WALA has posted a picture of their studio with unassembled pieces of the new set.

Could this be another FX job like WIVB?

Meanwhile, over in West Virginia, WOWK is moving their station from Huntington to Charleston which will include an upgrade to HD. Sister station WTRF in Wheeling made the upgrade at the end of 2011.

I bring this up because their set (which looks to be virtually identical to what they are using now in Huntington) has the same triangle columns that WALA is using on their temp set.

WALA has posted a picture of their studio with unassembled pieces of the new set.

Could this be another FX job like WIVB?

Per Andrew Perez's Facebook page, the new set is indeed an FX job.

walanewsset1.jpg

As you can see from the picture, the working newsroom is being partially enclosed, and many of the design elements look similar to WTLV/WJXX's newsroom set (except for the desk).

WHP CBS21 HD is is progressing along nicely. The Devlin Blog I linked in a previous post is being updated daily at this point. Some of the interesting stats on the new set were announced on the blog today: "46 inch video wall, color changing LCD's, pivoting anchor desk and rolling kiosks with montiors" ... CBS21 is going all out, guns blazing with this new set and I am VERY interested to see what they do. Kirk Clyatt (Twitter: @Clyatt) also twitpic'd a lot of pics. The logo is a little different that the current one (notice the lack of red). IF they have a graphic change I would love for them to get the CBS O&O package. Then we would have a grand slam by the underdog in the HLLY market!! More updates as they come avaliable.

Twitter: @Clyatt[/url]) also twitpic'd a lot of pics. The logo is a little different that the current one (notice the lack of red). IF they have a graphic change I would love for them to get the CBS O&O package. Then we would have a grand slam by the underdog in the HLLY market!! More updates as they come avaliable.

I'm really impressed with what they're doing at WHP. If only something like that could make it's way to Milwaukee...

Very interested to see the pivoting anchor desk. Kinda makes me think it's like from Press Your Luck in the 80s. Haha. But really yeah, WHP is going to look nice. No word on premiere date, but if I had to guess, April 2nd ... NCAA Men's Baasketball Championship Game. Just a guess.

WHP-CBS 21 UPDATE: Blog updated once again now the Weather Center is showcased. It looks BEAUTIFUL even though it is still a work in progress. The final death blow to 27 is ready to be slung over 6th Street to 27 in uptown Harrisburg. It's a shame that 27 thought they knew how to do a HD set ... 21's response to the competition ... game on. They indeed saved the best for last in the HLLY market. Who would've thought 21 would have a set that matched any maybe EXCEEDED the giant Channel 8.

Well done.

Now, Devlin is in Mobile putting in WPMI's new set...

http://www.ddgtv.com...nstallation-23/

It would be really nice if they were doing WPTY too, but I have a feeling that's not going to be case since they're expected to be finished with whatever they're doing (and still don't know the extent of it) this weekend, as TennTV noted in the other thread seems too short to be that kind of a massive overhaul.

Devlin Design group updated their pictures of WPMI's new set...

http://www.ddgtv.com...nstallation-23/

It looks like LOCAL 15 will be sticking around after they relaunch in HD. The monitor shots show a different look from what they've been using since 2008 (NBC Arthouse Look A).

I'm thinking it could be a Hothaus package....since they've done many of Newport's HD re-launches.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived