Rant: Why Action News at 5pm Sucks

Jess

I'm sorry, I need to get this off my chest.

Action News at 5pm is probably hands down the worst newscast I've seen in this market.

I don't know if this is my feeling about the product as a whole. (The 6 and 11pm newscasts with Gardner don't bother me.) But the 5pm - something's bugging me about it, and it's been bugging me for awhile.

The problem is simple - the content. All the nice graphics and set (and they are nice over at 6 now) basically amount to polish on a turd if the content is bad. And on the 5pm Action News, lord is it bad.

It's got more fluff than news. The second story tonight - the second story, probably the first one if they didn't have the horses found in the city - had Anita Brickman reporting on the death of Kanye West's mother from plastic surgery.

Please tell me why this is nearly leading off the 5pm. Or is in the first segment. Or is even airing on a newscast supposedly devoted to Philadelphia news.

And yet this happens night after night. Britney was the lead story one night. Half of the newscast, it seems, is devoted to these lame and pointless web chats with Nydia Han. Nearly every story seems incomplete with a mention "go to our website!" after each one. The other half of the 5pm news seems to be plugs for whatever ABC is airing that night.

Do they seriously think that they can just put on whatever crap they find because they have monster ratings from Oprah? Apparently they do. And what's a shame about this is that the two competitors at 5, NBC 10 and Fox 29, have substantially better newscasts than the tripe 6 is putting on at 5 these days.

I think it's time people realized the emperor has no clothes. Something is rotten over at WPVI. If they want to stay #1, they need to go back to actual news at 5.

The 5:00PM edition of action news targets women now. Its main competition, isn't ch10, or 29, but Dr.Phil on ch3, and not even somuch for that timeslot, but for the 6:00 timeslot. Ch6 is trying retain as many Oprah viewers as possible, because ch3 gets a carry over for its 6:00PM news from Dr.Phil.

As a result, action news at 5:00 is full of celebrity, consumer, fluff, ect. Ofcoarse the same could be said about 3, and 10's 4:00pm news. All that and more is geared towards women, and 3's 4pm news is simular to 6's 5pm. They even have a segment called "A woman's view" In those cases, 3 and 10 are competing with Oprah.

Ofcoarse this is sweeps, so all the newscasts suck a bit extra. Hey, tonight they all give out there yearly winter forecasts. Ofcoarse they probably won't mention they all did a 2nd revised one last year halfway in, because they all got the November one wrong. I also sure hope none of them try to pass the revised version they did in January off as the offical version they did a year ago [cough]Ch10[/cough] to brag about getting it right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, some demographics genius must have figured out more women are watching the news in the late afternoon. All That and More with Tracy Davidson is the most blantant (and unwatchable) example, but FOX29's 5PM news is also obviously geared toward women as well, though more "newsy."

All these newscasts are essentially just excuses for commercials. Does anyone know the content vs. commerical ratio of a 5pm or early AM newscasts? They seem to be the worst. There are a couple times where the commericial breaks are actually longer than the segments between them!

• 1 month later...

I think it's right to give credit where credit is due, and after tuning into the last half of 6's 5pm news today, I have to say that I think they're improving.

The 5:30 story was a great report by David Henry on questionable appointments to Nutter's administration. Given that the other stations have taken a more "rah rah rah" approach to today's inauguration, I was pretty impressed with the report.

And aside from a "Call to Action" plug at the end of the A block, the broadcast seemed refreshingly light on fluff. Celebrity stories were thankfully limited to the traditional PeopleScene slot at the end. There's still a bit of a goofy vibe, but I think that's more the chemistry of Rob and Monica.

So... here's hoping it's not an aberration.

Archived