4:30AM for CBS 2?

former newsboy

I'm still outta the loop so all I have is the internet. And today I noticed a snippet of a morning news graphic for tomorrow at 4:30AM. But it also had to do with the winter storm so my question is this: is this just a one-time thing or does Channel 2's morning news start at 4:30 now, like NBC5? It at least signals that it will soon, maybe after the new year?

Also at CBS 2... "Medicine Today/Tonight" has been re-dubbed "Eye on Health". I kinda like it, at least for marketing purposes. And it establishes more of a brand name along with "Eye on Chicago" (the whole CBS eye thing). Whatev.

There have been some occasions in the past that WBBM started their news at 4:30AM due to a big winter storm. However, it wasn't an announced/promoted thing. They just started the news at 4:30AM. I wouldn't be surprised if WBBM permanently started their news at 4:30AM.

I believe WBBM already used "Eye on Health" in the past.

Well, it appears that CBS 2, NBC 5, ABC 7, and FOX Chicago all started their newscasts at 4:30 AM this morning for the ice storm coverage with crawl of school closings. WGN just has their normal rerun of the Andy Griffith Show on; however, they have a graphic up showing school closings.

FOX Chicago is kind of reminding me of CNBC now.. They have a double crawl on the screen. The normal one saying what the weather throughout the day is and one right below it moving slightly faster showing school closings.

With the upcoming change in format for the CBS Early Show I'd almost guess a lot of stations that had been pre-empting the 7-8a.m. hour will start their newscasts at 4:00 or 4:30, though I know the CBS O&O's already run TES in full daily. I know a couple stations in my area have alraedy announced early starts come January 7th.

KMOV in St. Louis just recently stopped prempting the 7:00am-7:30am portion of The Early Show. Now, KSDK is making noises about 4:30am newscasts (weather related...for now).

How many markets already have a 4:30 newscast, besides WMAQ's failed "Barely Today" experiment?

How many markets already have a 4:30 newscast, besides WMAQ's failed "Barely Today" experiment?

WMAQ still has their 4:30AM newscast. It was never actually cancelled. It's now just an earlier extension of "NBC 5 News Today". "Barely Today" being cancelled wasn't exactly due to failure. It had to do with WMAQ wanting to head back in the direction of a more serious newscast in the morning and shifting Bruce Wolf to full time sports reporter/anchor.

Two CBS affiliates to come to mind. KPHO in Phoenix begins their morning news at 4:30am. And starting January 7, KGMB in Honolulu will expand from 5-7am to 4:30-8am (and no, they aren't preempting the first hour of TES... they're just starting it an hour later).

WTHR has a 430 newscast. what's the new format for TES

I think its mostly just dropping the national/local hybrid element more than anything.

I wonder if KHOU will go the way of sister WWL-New Orleans and completely preempt the show in favor of local news, which has pretty decent ratings with anchors Debra Duncan and Ron Trevino.

Archived