FCC gives go ahead to further media consolidation.

WXmanTim

The Federal Communications Commissions, today, voted to allow further media consolidation in the form of Newspaper-Television cross-ownership. The Republican-dominated FCC voted 3-2 to allow consolidation in the top-20 media markets (as designated by Neilsen).

However, the station cannot be one of the top-4 rated stations in the market and there must be at least eight other independent media outlets remaining in the market.

The former rule, prohibiting newspaper-television cross-ownership, had been in effect for 32-years. Television stations founded by newspapers were exempt from the rules under a 1977 U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Public advocacy groups have vowed to fight the new rules.

~~~

My thoughts: Tribune and NewsCorp stand to gain a lot from this ruling. Currently, both companies operate television stations under waivers in New York (Newscorp owns the NYPost, WSJ and TV properties WWOR and WNYW; Tribune ownes Long Island Newsday and TV property WPIX), Tribune additionally operates under waivers in Los Angeles (LA Times and KTLA). Chicago is grandfathered for Tribune as the newspaper founded WGN-AM and TV.

Hearst could also gain. I have heard in the past that Hearst was interested in acquiring newspapers where they owned existing television stations (or vice versa). This could impact Houston and Orlando, specifically, where Tribune picks up WESH-Orlando in exchange for KHCW-Houston or Hearst gets the Orlando Sentinal in exchange for the Houston Chronicle.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Thoughts?

I don't think its a good idea. Futher conglomeration of our mass media will only lead to further job cuts and further overall downsizing as media companies choose to operate tighter, less expensive operation and, in most cases, pursue other corporate interests.

I remember particularly the year 1986, when NBC was sold to General Electric, ABC was sold to CapCities, CBS was sold to Larry Tisch, and Metromedia was sold to what is now the News Corporation. Particularly ABC O&O's suffered big with Capital Cities low-cost approach, which saw many respected ABC O&O newscasters and staff fired or departed, such as Roger Grimsby, Jerry Dunphy, and Suzanne Saunders (Shaw).

I must say that FOX became successful with all its purchases, but its omnipresent appearance and the conservative politics of Rupert Murdoch and a good majority of FOX News Channel staffers irks many, particularly when shows like the O'Reilly factor and Hannity and Colmes are the most-watched programs on the channel. These are commentary shows, rather than newscasts, but more people watch them than the news updates themself, which at one time featured current White House spokesperson Tony Snow. Now we are beginning to see this shift towards the Dow Jones Co. and WSJ, but in defense, there are quite a few Murdoch papers that have seen little change since takeover, particularly the Times of the UK.

FOX and Tribune will benefit for sure, but what about the staffers, will they benefit or will further budget cuts and job cuts continue. Already KTLA in Los Angeles has dumped Carlos Amezcua (who could have been Hal's heir apparent for News@Ten anchor) along with several others. KTTV has kept most of its staff for some time now, but the loss of John Beard, which from what I gather had more to do with the direction of its newscasts, was quite a shock, particularly for someone who has covered Southern California for nearly 30 years.

Maybe NBCUni, which through (NBC2.0) is experiencing all-around cuts and operational amalgamating, might also benefit.

All in all, this is something to think about. Perhaps a monopoly on the brink and democracy in danger. Makes one think.....

The Federal Communications Commissions, today, voted to allow further media consolidation in the form of Newspaper-Television cross-ownership. The Republican-dominated FCC voted 3-2 to allow consolidation in the top-20 media markets (as designated by Neilsen).

However, the station cannot be one of the top-4 rated stations in the market and there must be at least eight other independent media outlets remaining in the market.

The former rule, prohibiting newspaper-television cross-ownership, had been in effect for 32-years. Television stations founded by newspapers were exempt from the rules under a 1977 U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Public advocacy groups have vowed to fight the new rules.

~~~

My thoughts: Tribune and NewsCorp stand to gain a lot from this ruling. Currently, both companies operate television stations under waivers in New York (Newscorp owns the NYPost, WSJ and TV properties WWOR and WNYW; Tribune ownes Long Island Newsday and TV property WPIX), Tribune additionally operates under waivers in Los Angeles (LA Times and KTLA). Chicago is grandfathered for Tribune as the newspaper founded WGN-AM and TV.

Hearst could also gain. I have heard in the past that Hearst was interested in acquiring newspapers where they owned existing television stations (or vice versa). This could impact Houston and Orlando, specifically, where Tribune picks up WESH-Orlando in exchange for KHCW-Houston or Hearst gets the Orlando Sentinal in exchange for the Houston Chronicle.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Thoughts?

There's also a duopoly in Orlando with WESH and WKCF (CW18).

Isn't there a similar situation in Dallas where WFAA and the Dallas Morning News are both owned by Belo? Were they also grandfathered into that law?

Yes. I believe Gannett in Phoenix with the AZ Republic and KPNX-12 are grandfathered as well.

The big winer COULD also be the small to medium sized market stations that are somewhat on the short end of the viewer and ratings stick...

In a Macro sense.

The reality is more to the effect that a few large post-consolidated [in make-up] media companys will be the winners.The would be advertising sector does not have the capacity to financially support all the advertising outlets=[mobile,net,naked people with branded tatoos,etc].It's to broad an audience for a small station to survive with Narrowed local view culture. But before they ultimately win, small to medium privately owned think tanks will be competitive in constructing creative campaigns that are quantifiable in benefit. Industry wise everything has a floating point, dont settle in!

Archived