Is KSDK Asleep?

NowSTLexNY

I don't know if this is the norm, but being off this week from work, I have noticed several KSDK mistakes. Yesterday, after carrying the Presidents comments regarding the passing of Gerald Ford, Matt Lauer announce that for most, the today show will continue. KSDK then went back to local news, and joined the Today show in progress after 7:11am. Very disappointing.

This morning, after some national ads, they went back to the Today Show, and Matt Lauer was humming, then returned from a report that never ended up airing in St. Louis (there was some black screens for a bit), then more black screens, some local ads, a cut in and they returned to the Today Show 2 minutes late.

Are these guys amateurs? Is this an intern run station? It definitely changes my perception of Gannett. I notice often, during prime time, they forget to show their local ads on the hdtv feed, instead a black screen with floating peacock feathers.

Is this typical of other non O&O stations? It definitely did not seem like it was the way it should have been.

it's the holidays. many staffers are out on break.

cut them some slack.

No. I agree with the original poster. There is no excuse for these problems that have been happening on one of the biggest NBC affiliates in the country. I don't see these problems happening on WBAY, WFRV, WLUK, or WGBA, here in Green Bay, so I don't see any reason that this should be acceptable.

I wonder what their advertisers think when they get charged for running the ad, but it is only shown on the analog channel.

I was in the tv business for a while before I got out and lemme tell you, mistakes happen. Some of you guys act expect perfection. If perfection happens, we surely wouldn't have this bulletin board to discuss about "controversy." ::D

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't. We are all human. Sure, would we like KSDK be mistake free. But the point is mistakes happen. Is it embarassing? Sure it is, but what are you going to do? Not watch them anymore? Yeah, OK. Stations (most of them) live and learn.

I wonder what their advertisers think when they get charged for running the ad, but it is only shown on the analog channel.

That itself is a legimate concern. If I was the company, I would request some compensation for it. Stations hate that and they will lose revenue. However, I doubt many people would call to KSDK's office and raise hell about a damn commerical. Will I go out to the store and buy a charmin toilet paper after watching that big ass bear shake her ass on television? Not likely.

Are these guys amateurs? Is this an intern run station? It definitely changes my perception of Gannett. I notice often, during prime time, they forget to show their local ads on the hdtv feed, instead a black screen with floating peacock feathers.

I dunno but KSDK might be run through Parkervision. I can't be sure. But I do know this. These employees are luckily to still have a job, seeing how the market is declining. So yes, cut them some slack. If it is happening during sweeps, then you would see some hell raised by the managers and perhaps viewers. But this is Christmas. I do know this is typically a week with low viewership.

I don't know if this is the norm, but being off this week from work, I have noticed several KSDK mistakes. Yesterday, after carrying the Presidents comments regarding the passing of Gerald Ford, Matt Lauer announce that for most, the today show will continue. KSDK then went back to local news, and joined the Today show in progress after 7:11am. Very disappointing.

This morning, after some national ads, they went back to the Today Show, and Matt Lauer was humming, then returned from a report that never ended up airing in St. Louis (there was some black screens for a bit), then more black screens, some local ads, a cut in and they returned to the Today Show 2 minutes late.

Is this typical of other non O&O stations? It definitely did not seem like it was the way it should have been.

No kidding, if they want to keep the helm is number 1 in st louis in the morning, then they need to keep on the ball, or else i'm moving my morning news to channel 2 for all four hours!

Are these guys amateurs? Is this an intern run station?

Well, when I was intering at KTVU, if we even looked funny at a piece of equipment that was used to put anything on-air (routers, beta decks, etc.) we'd be shown the door. If KSDK is a union shop, they have a similar policy. So I seriously doubt interns are running the place.

As for the insertion of local ads on the HDTV feed, who cares? As of right now, the client is charged for their commercials airing on the analog channel, not the digital. So as long as the spot runs on analog channel 5, KSDK gets to keep its money. (In 2007, Nielsen will start rating HDTV broadcasts. Right now, rating information is only collected on analog broadcasts, and that's all a station charges for.) Personally I'd rather see floating peacock feathers than some poorly produced local spot anyway.

every night WJHG fades into either the 5 second spot for late night shows before leno or sometimes a few seconds into the show open...i don't know how they can do that every night because Leno starts at an exact time, so you think they would be done the newscast by then :-\

*and this happens every weeknight all year long

WMBB is even worse...IDs run too long and freeze after they're supposed to be done, you can see parts of network promos that are supposed to be covered up by local content...and even countdowns for World News Tonight and Nightline that can be seen virtually any night!...can someone say automation gone bad?

As for WJHG...there have been times when they've actually had super-heavy newscasts (usually right before a hurricane) where they join Leno in progress almost 15 minutes later. Today, I didn't see them air network coverage of Pres. Ford's memorial service (they air talk shows at the time instead of soaps, which air in the morning).

Archived