The New Early Show

Geoffrey

So CBS updated the promo for the new Early Show today. It includes a new logo.

CBS-TheEarlyShow2008.jpg

I was getting kind of tired of the graphics modeled after the CBS Evening News... I hope the new look is fresh.

I also wonder how different the format will really be. They're saying they'll have the ability to be more flexible and not have to worry about hitting certain breaks and stuff.

So CBS updated the promo for the new Early Show today. It includes a new logo.

CBS-TheEarlyShow2008.jpg

I was getting kind of tired of the graphics modeled after the CBS Evening News... I hope the new look is fresh.

Hmmm, that logo reminds me of the yellowish Startin' up a brand new day days. Nice change. I am hoping for great graphics, new music, and less Russ Mitchell.

Otherwise, I'll watch the Today show for the first time ever.

I guess anything is better than the logo they have now.

They will have new graphics. I know I saw something about stations having to reconfigure their time/temp and crawl systems to conform to the new graphics package.

The program has been broadcasting from the Evening News studio as construction takes place at 5th Avenue. Perhaps there will be a sneak peek Friday morning.

I am hoping for great graphics, new music, and less Russ Mitchell.

Really, less Russ Mitchell? I always thought he was one of the strengths at CBS and The Early Show. I originally thought they were moving away from the multi-anchor format for the more traditional two-anchor model, but all they did was go from four to three (not counting Russ because he's the news reader).

I think the addition of Maggie Rodriguez is a good move but, other than that, my guess is that it'll be more of the same.

Oh, and has there been any mention of TES finally going HD? I find it amazing that CBS was such a leader with HD in sports and primetime but is last when it comes to HD news.

I'm really diggin that red color. So will the affiliates like WISH still get to do what they want like now. I.E. WISH has part TES' date=' and part local news, will they get to do that.[/quote']

This new Early Show in roughly like this. The network is asking stations that have their 7am local news, accompanied with segments from TES to end their hybridization and to have a full national program on the 7am hour so the show can compete with other networks in the morning. Or course local stations would still have their 7:25 & 7:55 news updates.

Stations like WTVF & KHOU will drop the hybridization on Monday Morning.

I'm really diggin that red color. So will the affiliates like WISH still get to do what they want like now. I.E. WISH has part TES' date=' and part local news, will they get to do that.[/quote']

When it doesn't work - and I fully expect it won't because, honestly, the "relaunch" is really no different than putting a new shade of lipstick on the same pig - I fully expect KHOU to just expand 11News This Morning to four hours like sister WWL-New Orleans.

They really talked up their new studio today but didn't show anything. It'll be the first major revamp of that set since it debuted in November 1999 (though it has definitely undergone remodeling over the years, but a little bit at a time).

Here's something I captured from a quick topical promo for tomorrow's The Early Show... a clearer indication of what the graphics will look like:

CBS-TheEarlyShow2008b.jpg

Reminds me of the old "Paula Zahn Now" graphics on CNN...

is that CBS News or CBS Sports? I can't tell...

It should be better than the current CBS EN-inspired look. But then again, a five-year-old could design a better look than the current CBS EN look.

Wow! So much for the whole defacto style they've been running with for the last year (has it been that long?), guess maybe they got the idea that the same look for every last thing was kinda bland, plus their logo was horrid. Looks like it'll be flashy, maybe a little too much, but I'll wait to see it tomorrow.

is that CBS News or CBS Sports? I can't tell...

Couldn't have said it better myself. The intro is awesome, and the transitions between stories on the opening now even LOOKS more like the CBS Sports stuff.

And the music, some pumped up remix of the CBS EN theme. wow.

I thought the last look for The Early Show was bottom of the barrel. Horrible looking in style, execution, and music. I thought that they could do nothing but improve upon it.

Holy christ, was I wrong. This is even worse. The opening - way way way too CBS Sportsy for my taste. The set - ugly. The graphics - uglier (teal and purple? yeah no). And whoever decided that it was a good idea to do a dance mix of the James Horner Evening News theme... well, it wasn't.

I saw the first minute or so, and I was not impressed. Graphics are okay, a tad bit too flashy... the lower-thirds look like they're from 1998. I was disappointed that they kept the same bug (just changed the logo), I was hoping for a time/temp bug. Set is okay, a bit too open and "big." The music is absolutely horrible.

I don't know i wanted to turn to Fox59 this morning but i couldn't it just kept drawing me in. I really like the colors on the set, green, it's like saying good morning, have a refreshed day, i don't know but green just does that to me, anywho, it looks like a great first day, i think i'm hooked of course it gets boring again.

Skimming through the recording this afternoon, the colors used are rather interesting, though the overall scheme of things is kinda mixed in my own opinion. While I personally kidna like the intros, the L3s really do look rather hideous and aged.

In terms of music, I thought it was an interesting move, kinda making it a little less triumphant compared to the other two, though maybe people need that kinda music to wake up. Overall, an interesting move, and the artwork is kinda interesting also.

I would love to know how industrial stark white became a fashion statement.

ugh. Sterile.

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but Today's stark white overly-sterile set is not something I would want to imitate.

Archived