NBC 5 HD

5Viewer

WMAQ debuted their updated set on NBC 5 News at 5 tonight.

NBC5NewSet.png

(I think it is kind of cheap looking and has too much blue.)

I also called the newsroom, along with another person, and they said that they are going HD tomorrow. She said she wasn't sure about new graphics or music, but all newscasts will be in HD as of tomorrow.

I will make sure to get caps and videos of tomorrows 5 and hopefully 6 O'Clock newscasts. (The videos wont be in HD though.)

Hopefully they get the WNBC look and keep the Tower, not go the KXAS route.

Is that a SD monitor built in the front?

And what's going on with Studio 5?

I'm pretty sure it is an SD monitor and I'm not sure about Studio 5.

Here is the video of the close:

[yt]BBPSxMrxmlw[/yt]

Well, there isn't really much of a budget at NBC 5 for a new set at this time so don't expect any spectacular set changes. Heck, a few things that were added to the Studio 5 set more recently are recycled items removed from the newsroom set when it was remodeled a few years ago. On NBC 5's newscast this morning, Studio 5 pretty much looked the same as it normally does.

I agree that the little changes they have made to the set are likely all they're going to do for some time. I would guess they won't wait until tomorrow for a graphics/music change (if there is one) and debut it tonight at 10 instead.

Dick Johnson said at the end of NBC 5 News Today that they will be debuting in HD tomorrow Morning and will be heading over to the tower for a few weeks while they update the Studio 5 Set.

But from what im hearing they will be debuting in HD today on the 4:30 News!

It looks great in HD, but they had a handful of problems on the 4:30 and 5 O'Clock newscasts today. The audio wouldn't work for two stories, sports popped up on the plasma while Bob Sirott was doing his segment "One More Thing", a blank screen with just the logo came up during a commercial, a few others I can't think of, and this close, which I captured, where they play two cuts of The Tower and it gets messed up. They also used the morning cut for the 5 O'Clock open, which I'm not sure why they did so.

[yt]sxYouRQoL60[/yt]

You know there were SOOOOO many errors there were to many to count.... My only concern is they are using morning news cuts for the open.. which im surprised.. and i think is stupid. They have Tower V3 that has AWEsOME cuts that they could use. Thier Bug is awesome! I like that.

Im thinking that this is a slow ease into HD..but why would you do that.. i donno this makes NBC 5 look horrible compared to ABC7.

The first 10pm broadcast in HD ran alot smoother than the 4:30, 5, and 6pm.

A few notes:

>Open with morning cut

>some graphics were messed up, particularly OTSs that would be picture and text, no fancy moving color lines(don't know what to call them)

>WX+ Graphics not in HD(kinda sad)

>No mention on any newscast about the HD switch.....

>Weather tossback in HD can see sports set...why not just do a 3 shot towards the newsroom

>Closing music was not a close but the normal boring bumper...i mean c'mon you did commission Tower v3....

>The Bug wasn't missing for half the newscast it was always there :)(i must add it looks awesome)

>One or two small audio issues with mic's not cuing right

>Lower 3rds were there :D

>and looking at it closely the set looks good in HD even though in SD i almost threw up:p

Just a few more....(not exactly relating to the 10pm)

>warner saunders wasn't on so i couldn't find out if he has real hair or not(me and my friend really disappointed)

>all the live shots were in Widescreen

>at 4:30 during the "one more thing" you could see the sports set...whoops

>during nightly the feed went black and you saw the new bug for about 10secs.....whoops again!

Overall I think NBC 5 did a good job on the transition especially considering the fact, as we all know, that they are in a bit of a money bind.

I've been talking to some of the people I know over at NBC 5 and they say that when studio 5 is completed we should be seeing some bigger changes and they said referring to graphics and music. I guess we'll see.

Hope you hall have a good night.

LETS JUST HOPE! This was a GOD AWEFUL transition! Hopefully they will get their act together! My only thing is.. if you want to go HD then go HD when EVERYTHING is finished.. It seems like they rushed it last min. The 430-5-and 6pm Newscasts were just HORRID! 10pm seems alright with a minor few errors. Sports showed up during brants weather report.

But lets just hope that before Feb they get new graphics, and music updates. Im really not happy with morning news cuts during the evening news. Wonder whats going to be on in the morning? Only time will tell.

Archived