MORA OUT AT WBBM

first on fox

I think this is a good move for him. We all knew his departure from Channel 2 was coming sooner or later - he no longer even fills-in for Rob Johnson.

I thought perhaps Channel 5 might still want him (like they did in 2002). Warner Saunders' only heir apparent is Bob Sirott and I think Antonio and Allison Rosati would make a nice team. Or at least a nice sounding team.

But I guess 6 years with no ratings doesn't exactly make you a hot commodity to another Chicago station or, say, network again. And let's be honest, Antonio failed to prove his worth as anything more than a talking head during his time here, so Miami makes sense.

I'm guessing Rob Johnson will assume co-anchor duties at 6? The article doesn't say. I'm sure Feder will have more tomorrow...

Antonio Mora wasn't a bad anchor at CBS 2. I liked him. He was probably the best hire WBBM made in the past decade.

Honestly, WBBM's problems are way beyond who's sitting at the anchor chair.. Unless WBBM does something way out there, they're still going to be in last place. I don't see Rob Johnson boosting WBBM's ratings anymore than Antonio Mora did.

I think this is a good move for Antonio, and also agree that he was the best WBBM hire in a while. I wonder if they will put Derrick at 6 since he anchored the 4 before Dr. Phil or hire another anchor for 6.

I think this is a good move for Antonio, and also agree that he was the best WBBM hire in a while. I wonder if they will put Derrick at 6 since he anchored the 4 before Dr. Phil or hire another anchor for 6.

Rob Johnson is going to take over the 6PM newscast and "Eye on Chicago". No new male anchor will be hired. It was already known that Rob Johnson was hired to replace Antonio Mora altogether. The only reason for the time of overlap was Rob's contract at WLS was up and Antonio still had some time left on his contract.

Originally, Friday was supposed to be Antonio's last broadcast at CBS 2. Well, it appears that changed to tonight. There's a video of Antonio Mora's goodbye to Chicago at cbs2chicago.com.

Yeah, I flipped on the last minute of CBS 2 News at 6PM and saw the tail-end of his farewell. Why'd it change to tonight? If I'd of known, I woulda made sure I watched that instead of The Simpsons. Oh well, like lazynet said it's on the website - here's the direct link, click away...

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/[email protected]

My guess is that they changed it (his final newscast) to tonight because of the Sun-Times/Feder piece. I'm certain WBBM management was not happy with what he said (hence, the early exit). It's just another bad (and somewhat childish) move by the management team. Also, they wasted no time removing Mora's bio and updating Rob Johnson's bio. Classy move WBBM!

My guess is that they changed it (his final newscast) to tonight because of the Sun-Times/Feder piece. I'm certain WBBM management was not happy with what he said (hence, the early exit). It's just another bad (and somewhat childish) move by the management team. Also, they wasted no time removing Mora's bio and updating Rob Johnson's bio. Classy move WBBM!

What a thing to do.. Not even let him finish the week. Especially after Antonio took the demotion graciously and acted in the most professional way possible while knowing in the back of his mind that his contract wasn't going to be renewed. I noticed that too about updating the bios on the website right after the 6PM newscast. Hopefully, there aren't anymore billboards/posters still up around the city, CTA, etc. showing Antonio and Diann.

Who could forget when David Kerley was let go for Antonio Mora. He wasn't a happy man. He was offered reporter/fill-in anchor but he didn't take it. There wasn't any goodbyes. If I remember correctly, after the 10PM newscast, he grabbed a box, packed EVERYTHING from his desk/office (I think including the telephone too), grabbed his photo off the wall at the front hall of the building, and stormed out the door.

Who could forget when David Kerley was let go for Antonio Mora. He wasn't a happy man. He was offered reporter/fill-in anchor but he didn't take it. There wasn't any goodbyes. If I remember correctly, after the 10PM newscast, he grabbed a box, packed EVERYTHING from his desk/office (I think including the telephone too), grabbed his photo off the wall at the front hall of the building, and stormed out the door.

Actually, David Kerley did say goodbye on the air. But nobody saw it cuz it was on a Friday at the start of March Madness so it was well passed midnight (he even signed-off the 5 as well that night). I have the 10PM on tape (along with lots of other moments from Chicago TV past). One of these days, when I learn how to convert VHS to say, YouTube, I'll post em.

But yes, David wasn't too happy with the way he was treated. I remember being annoyed myself with the fact that he wasn't given Vince Gerasole's spot on the 4:30 news. I expressed that in an e-mail to David (along with my well-wishes) the very night he left and to my surprise he wrote me right back with more than a hint of disgust for then-management. But when it came down to it, David wasn't their guy and Vince was. And sadly sometimes, that's the way it goes in this business (or any business for that matter).

But it's nice to see him on ABC News whenever I catch a report of his. Like Lester Holt before him, he's very impressive at the the network level.

Archived