WBZ/Boston Refresh

bostonmediaguy

WBZ-TV refreshed their graphics on Tuesday. I've uploaded some stills, but more is available on their website (wbztv.com).

They have a very international flair. You may notice that some of the text is cut-off. This is because the still was taken as the graphics 'transitioned' on-screen.

wbz-a.jpg.ac2b8922a33ca30258bcb983fdc2d262.jpg

wbz-c.jpg.01d01f4d17c7db2c4fe467bb234f2ea5.jpg

wbz-d.jpg.7f06501d706157ad5bb5a4f05158d27c.jpg

wbz-f.jpg.08d6e1c899865ef2bee2b054d9af03b2.jpg

wbz-g.jpg.c34c3dd6e2119331d52f7e85c9dfa148.jpg

I like it, it is very simple. Looks more unique than an update version of WBBM graphics. Also glad that the time is on the bug now too. I thought just having the temperature on there was wierd.

It was always temperature-only for the 11pm news. That continues in this package.

If you are watching television from any sort of distance this new package is NOT easy on the eyes.

Any rebrand that makes your eyes strain to look at the Chyron is not good. I actually thought WBZ launched quietly to HD for a few days...they didn't. >_<

In addition the one thing I did like about the previous graphics--their opens--are now gone. The thing didn't even last a year. They're utilizing a lot of abstract squares as a motif...not their footage, which is all amazing.

I will give credit though...this is easily one of the cleanest executions of VizRT (and all signs point to it being VizRT) in the country. As much as I think BZ should flip the HD switch with this...I think they are likely to see what WHDH rolls out before they do it.

-T

If you are watching television from any sort of distance this new package is NOT easy on the eyes.

Any rebrand that makes your eyes strain to look at the Chyron is not good. I actually thought WBZ launched quietly to HD for a few days...they didn't. >_<

In addition the one thing I did like about the previous graphics--their opens--are now gone. The thing didn't even last a year. They're utilizing a lot of abstract squares as a motif...not their footage, which is all amazing.

I will give credit though...this is easily one of the cleanest executions of VizRT (and all signs point to it being VizRT) in the country. As much as I think BZ should flip the HD switch with this...I think they are likely to see what WHDH rolls out before they do it.

-T

The morning crawl (which was the only thing I found difficult to view) was changed to all-caps this morning and is now far easier to read.

Could their switch to HD take place Sunday after the Patriots-Chargers game? It would make sense to do it after a program most would view in HD.

main-07.jpg

main-11.jpg

Not classy. At all.

And not at all what WBZ's graphics look like.

I'm disappointed they ditched their previous opens -- they were really nice.

Now they need to update their set to match this look... which is okay. I get WBZ, and it's certainly simple, clean, and clear.

BZ is set to go HD in mid-to-late 08... Sweet graphics though. When I flipped the TV on and first saw them, I mistook the bug for the one they used previously on sports (which was the same size), but when I saw the Lower 3s I thought "must be the new graphics package"...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived