CITY-TV adds 5pm Newscast

KKyuubi

I see that one of Toronto's stations is finally trying to compete with the Buffalo stations in one of the only ways imaginable: by adding a full 5pm newscast.

Yeah, CITY-TV debuted a 5pm newscast yesterday, now having a full 2 hours of high definition news in the early evening. I have never seen a Canadian station do this, usually they only do hour-long newscasts, but this station scheduling-wise kinda uses ideas influenced by American stations, such as a multi-hour morning newscast (although competing CHCH in Hamilton recently expanded their morning news to begin at 5am).

Man, Rogers is truly giving this station well-deserved treatment. Also they upgraded their graphics a bit, we have this big "flipper panel" on the bottom with non-scrolling newsticker (which also switches to 5-day forcasts), and an animated "Citynews.ca/IN HD" time/temp bug. They also updated the openings a bit too.

But 2 hours of local news? You've got to be kidding me. US Networks, just slot your nightly news at 11pm, give your affiliates 11:30, then take over at midnight like CTV does.

Noticed the tweaks in the opens/stings and music last night. Not a big fan of it. I'm more looking forward to their move to the Olympic Spirit Building next year; they did Breakfast Television there one day last week, and they used some pretty cool studio shots.

They didn't really promote the new 5pm newscast much. All I heard before this week was that Ellen was moving to 4pm, without any mention of what was replacing it at 5.

FYI, CTV Vancouver also has a 2-hour news block (5-7pm), with a fair amount of fluff.

Yeah, CITY-TV debuted a 5pm newscast yesterday, now having a full 2 hours of high definition news in the early evening. I have never seen a Canadian station do this, usually they only do hour-long newscasts, but this station scheduling-wise kinda uses ideas influenced by American stations, such as a multi-hour morning newscast (although competing CHCH in Hamilton recently expanded their morning news to begin at 5am).

Global BC, if you count Global National, has been doing 2 hours of news from 5-7 for years, even when it was BCTV/CTV. CFCN/CTV Calgary has also been doing 2 hours of news starting at 5, and Global Calgary and Global Edmonton have been doing 90 minutes of local news plus Global National between 5 & 7. Not to mention CTV Atlantic's Live at 5 along with their 6pm CTV News, which continues to blow the competition out of the water.

Man, Rogers is truly giving this station well-deserved treatment. Also they upgraded their graphics a bit, we have this big "flipper panel" on the bottom with non-scrolling newsticker (which also switches to 5-day forcasts), and an animated "Citynews.ca/IN HD" time/temp bug. They also updated the openings a bit too.

CityTV has been needing a shot in the arm for a long time. While it's sad to see it move out of Queen & John, it's nice to see them finally expand their news offering. Though if Rogers does plan to expand the news operations at the other CityTV stations, I hope they stay away from a 6pm newscast and decide to do a 10pm newscast instead.

But 2 hours of local news? You've got to be kidding me. US Networks, just slot your nightly news at 11pm, give your affiliates 11:30, then take over at midnight like CTV does.

I don't see what's wrong with CityTV having a 2 hour block of news at 5, in fact it's about time a Toronto TV station was broadcasting local news at 5pm. CFTO/CTV should have been doing this a long time ago, and CIII/Global should have added a 5pm news when they rejigged their 5:30-7pm news block.

I don't see what's wrong with CityTV having a 2 hour block of news at 5, in fact it's about time a Toronto TV station was broadcasting local news at 5pm. CFTO/CTV should have been doing this a long time ago, and CIII/Global should have added a 5pm news when they rejigged their 5:30-7pm news block.

I personally, have only seen local Canadian newscasts not go farther than 1 hour. I'm not saying this is bad, but usually all the American stations typically to 5-6:30, then the National Newscast (or a syndicated program on Fox affiliates).

Come to think of it...are there any Fox affiliates using that entire block?

And in 1978, KCBS (when they were KNXT) was the first in the nation with 2 1/2 HOURS of local news from 4:00 to 6:30. KABC took notice of that, and shot to the top of the L.A. ratings with KNXT/KCBS crashing to third place which they remained until about a few years ago.

By the way, during the pipeline construction boom of the mid-70s, KTVF's "Fairbanks Evening News" was an hour from 5:30-6:30.

Jonathan Allen

WJW, WAGA and WTVT all have a two-hour news block from 5:00 to 7:00pm.

Not just Fox affiliates - Atlanta's WSB also has 2 hours of evening news from 5-7.

And in 1978, KCBS (when they were KNXT) was the first in the nation with 2 1/2 HOURS of local news from 4:00 to 6:30. KABC took notice of that, and shot to the top of the L.A. ratings with KNXT/KCBS crashing to third place which they remained until about a few years ago.

At first, though, KABC upped the game with 3 complete hours from 4-7. They scaled back to 6:30 late '80s or early '90s to make room for World News. WRC, however, continues the 4-7 news block weeknights.

KDKA has news from 4-7 PM as well.

It's pretty exciting that Citytv is doing this. From what I heard, it looked like it was starting to lose it's luster like back in the glory days for them. But this is definately a step in the right direction. I've been to there new location when it was the olympic spirit and its surrounding are something to see. It's basically a public square with advertisment surrounding it (a la Times Square) so I am sure they are going to be some nice studio shots from that location similar to GMA with Times Square in NYC. Maybe Citytv can relive its glory days.

Archived