Something new for KDKA?

susquvalleywgal

Just learned from one of my friends in Pittsburgh that KDKA is starting something new on Monday with the weather. He said more cams or maybe new radar.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

-- Matt

I have the promo, it's uploading.

I am 95% sure that it's the usual Oh and Uh Oh partnership with TWC. This will make Tyler happy.

Here it is-- minus the terrible WBBM graphics at the tail-end, this is probably the best promo I have seen from KDKA since... 2002?

[YT]k1eU7AWVSJ4[/YT]

Looks like KDKA is partnering with weatherbug. I think KYW did the same thing not too long ago.

Looks like KDKA is partnering with weatherbug. I think KYW did the same thing not too long ago.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing when the promo mentioned the live weather stations. I hope not though, I'm not a huge fan of Weatherbug. :rolleyes:

KDKA.com says Weatherbug launches onair today at 4pm.

I already do not like this. It feels like a step back 15 years, to WPXI's Neighborhood WeatherNet days. That's exactly how it was presented: "30 degrees at xxx high school, home of the (team.) 32 in (town)..." Wonderful change.

One thing I can say is that the fullscreens used for the neighborhood temps are bright and clear, something that can not be said for the 5 day or the daily planner. Both are still a washed-out shade of blue and white that looks like grey. Aesthetically, the Square721 needs to go. I don't understand why KDKA does this: they used Serpentine for years as a chyron font, and now they're using Square in the same way. It's OK as a logo font, or even as a headline font, but information needs to be read easily and these small, overstyled fonts don't cut it. STOP IT. KDKA would have been fine if they had kept a clean font when they copied the WBBM package-- even with the logo in faux Euro... but no. They had to pick another free, obscure font that looks horrible.

I already do not like this. It feels like a step back 15 years, to WPXI's Neighborhood WeatherNet days. That's exactly how it was presented: "30 degrees at xxx high school, home of the (team.) 32 in (town)..." Wonderful change.

One thing I can say is that the fullscreens used for the neighborhood temps are bright and clear, something that can not be said for the 5 day or the daily planner. Both are still a washed-out shade of blue and white that looks like grey. Aesthetically, the Square721 needs to go. I don't understand why KDKA does this: they used Serpentine for years as a chyron font, and now they're using Square in the same way. It's OK as a logo font, or even as a headline font, but information needs to be read easily and these small, overstyled fonts don't cut it. STOP IT. KDKA would have been fine if they had kept a clean font when they copied the WBBM package-- even with the logo in faux Euro... but no. They had to pick another free, obscure font that looks horrible.

I agree. I hated WPXI's Neighborhood WxNet... and you're right, it's exactly like that. This is horrid...

And, they really need to update their VIPIR Radar... I love VIPIR and all, but for some reason, KD's version of VIPIR just looks so vague and plain.

KDKA, can we step in to 2008, please? Thanks! :D

In DC, WJLA has the WeatherBug network and they do pretty well with it. Now, given WJLA has access to 650 stations and KD has what, 45? So, a little disadvantage for KD.

Here in Winchester it helps to have live temps because we are never what it is at National. For some areas, WeatherBug works....some doesn't.

Ok i got the facts about KDKA

i just recently got a tour with Jon Burnett and here are pics of VIPIR

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/weatherdudejd/kdka%20now%20and%20then/

they have just recently updated VIPIR and have not got a chance to use it really good.

any other questions please aim me at weatherdudejd

Jordan

Weatherbug can be helpful in some situations, believe it or not WISH uses theirs everyday for Traffic. Also during severe weather situtations it's helpful to see how much rain has fallen, or what the wind gusts are.

Archived