Mary Ann Childers & McCall were laid off from WBBM.

sg9018

Sorry Mary Ann Childers funs but, she, Katie McCall and 19 others have been laid off from WBBM CBS 2 Chicago.

Mary contract will not be renewed because of a cost-cutting sweep at CBS 2.

More in the Chicago Tribune,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-wbbm-channel-2-cuts-childers-mar31,0,7559950.story

Ouch!

It seems like alot of CBS O&O's are cutting people lately. Chicago, Sacramento, Philadelphia, ...

UMMMMMMMMMMMM, NOT ONLY THAT..... DIANN BURNS IS GONE TOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG THIS IS HUGE. I CAN'T BELIEVE MARY ANN CHILDERS IS GONE, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY, SO I'LL JUST POST THIS LINK THAT JUST HIT THE PRESSES THAT HAS DIANN BURNS INCLUDED.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-wbbm-channel-2-cuts-childers-mar31,1,546439.story

HALLELUJAH!!! DIANN IS GONE!!! Thank You Jesus!!!

But, I feel sorry for Mary Ann leaving. She was one of the best at Channel 2. I hope she can get a better Job at one of the big markets if she doesn't find anything here in the Chi.

Mary Ann isn't leaving Chicago.. She's been around town about 30 years. Her husband, Jay Levine, still has his job at CBS 2. They've already got the money. I kind of doubt finding a new station is going to Mary Ann Childer's top priority at this point in her life. She may just take it easy for a while.

Plus, I really don't think any other market will take much interest in her due to her age and time in the business. Most stations these days are looking for younger hipper less experienced talent that will cost the station much less money. Mary Ann's best chance at going to another TV station will be in the Chicago market because she is very well known here in Chicago.

SHIT! Joe should've kicked somebody else ass but not Mary Ann's. So, it's clear that now Anne State will be 5, 6 & 10PM anchor, but damn it, I was dreaming to see Mary Ann saying, Good Evening I'm Mary Ann Childers and welcome to CBS 2 News at 10

Diann Burns also out at wbbm...from the trib...

Channel 2 cuts anchors Burns, Childers and others in major sweep

By Phil Rosenthal | Tribune media columnist

4:13 PM CDT, March 31, 2008

Long-time Chicago newswomen Diann Burns and Mary Ann Childers, along with sportscaster Mark Malone, are among around 18 WBBM-Ch. 2 staffers today either laid off or being told their contracts will not be renewed by the CBS-owned station.

Others from the station's staff of more than 200 confirmed to have been caught in the cost-cutting sweep included reporters Katie McCall and Rafael Romo, executive producers Vicki Zwart and Caryn Brooks, producer Harvey Moshman and investigative producer Phil Hayes.

"There's certainly some staff reductions that are taking place," President and General Manager Joe Ahern said this afternoon. "We're not unique in the economic environments we're all involved in. The Tribune, the Sun-Times, Newsweek, ABC in network news, many, many others have gone through these reviews of staffing and resources in order to adjust to the economic conditions."

Ahern would not confirm the number of those let go, saying only it was a "single-digit" percentage of the station's workforce.

"We have to rethink how we do business," he said. "The paradigms are changing in the way in which we do business. Our commitment is never going to change to news and programming and community service, but in a different way. All our people are being asked to do more and face the challenges of the future. But that's the dynamics of the business and, frankly, most businesses."

This is WCBS 1996 all over again. Maybe not in the number of on-air talent fired, but getting rid of your two main afternoon anchors?

I know everyone seems to hate Diann Burns, but I wouldn't celebrate. Not in the least. Mass firings do nothing - NOTHING - but erode viewer confidence.

mai martinez should have been gone. maybe fox chicago will get mary ann and start a 5 or 6pm newscast, they could pair her with anne kavanaugh or hire another man, casue i can't see darien trotter as an anchor.

just a thought

Unfortunately, I can tell you a 5 or 6 PM newscast at FOX Chicago is out of the question at this time and won't happen anytime soon.

Unfortunately, I can tell you a 5 or 6 PM newscast at FOX Chicago is out of the question at this time and won't happen anytime soon.

I second that.

The Simpsons have been a staple on Channel 32 at those time slots for many years. I don't see them changing those in the forseeable future.

mai martinez should have been gone. maybe fox chicago will get mary ann and start a 5 or 6pm newscast, they could pair her with anne kavanaugh or hire another man, cause i can't see darien trotter as an anchor.

just a thought

We don't need more evening newscasts. Fox 5 in New York started doing evening newscasts at 5 & 6 a few years back and they get low ratings. The only Fox stations having success with evening newscasts are ones that had newscasts in place prior to switching to Fox affilation.

Fox 11 in LA doesn't do evening newscasts either so I doubt Chicago will anytime soon.

It amazes me that Chicago has 5 stations doing morning newscasts from 5-7am. It seems like stations today provide news as a service regardless of ratings just so they are not outdone by total hours of coverage by other stations.

Archived