Source: ABC moving away from circle 7; changing first at WLS

Sam Horn

I just got tipped last night by a very good friend who works at a design firm in New York. Apparently, ABC is looking to reimage some of their stations, especially those utilizing some form of the circle -- including the circle 7.

It seems they've done some screen tests, and other shapes actually work better in HD and will work much better come next year when digital/HD signals are converted onto standard definition sets. They want to move away from circle branding, which they admit is a strong brand, to something viewers will respond better to visually.

I know we have an "insider info" rule, but I figure this is okay since my friend doesn't work for ABC, but works for a firm contracted by them.

He says they're working for a Chicago launch -- must be WLS, right? With SFO and New York shortly thereafter. He says that the firm has been given an October deadline to finalize the drafts and have a ready-to-go concept.

I kind of like it -- simple, elegant. But I do like me some circle 7. Thoughts?

ETA: Could explain why the new graphics have been so delayed at WABC, right? Someone should put that up in the NY board -- I don't want to be a double poster.

styled7_concept_draft2_abcWLS-TV.jpg.9904083f894f97ad5947af0d0eeb0fd3.jpg

Just got done IMing with my buddy in NYC. I convinced him to give us a higher res image. When the detail is clearer it grows on you, I think. You could work the design into A LOT of different elements, too. As iconic as the circle 7 is, this will make for a much more cohesive brand.

styled7_concept_draft2_abcWLS-TV.jpg.1a7a00ff85b9bf47ed285094b3862779.jpg

They have used the circle 7 logo for years and I don't know why they'd want to change it on any of the ABC O&Os. I've never liked other varations of the circle 7 logo.

I made a couple of phone calls, they are switching to this logo.

Are you sure about that? Emily Barr and a couple others told me otherwise earlier today after reading this for themselves..

Plus, I think someone at that "design firm" would be in some trouble or out of a job very soon. I don't think ABC would have liked something like this getting leaked out like this.

The ABC O&Os that use the circle 7 logo are all top rated in their respective markets so why would they go and change the logo after all these years??

In Chicago, viewers can always count on consistency at ABC 7 with the same logo, same theme music, same longtime anchors, and the same program schedule. That is what has kept the station #1 for so long. The other stations are continuous playing musical anchor chairs.

Well done.

I didn't wanna say anything, but the moment I saw the big version of the logo, the Photoshop alarm went off. So it kinda really did tip me off.

Didn't have me fooled... okay, for a minute, you did...

LOL, everyone knows circles don't look good in HD! For Pete's sake, the ABC logo itself is a circle! Or I guess now it's technically a sphere. But I admit, I too was fooled at first - I even was trying to get myself to like the new design. It wasn't going well.

Well done.

I didn't wanna say anything, but the moment I saw the big version of the logo, the Photoshop alarm went off. So it kinda really did tip me off.

Didn't have me fooled... okay, for a minute, you did...

There was no use of Photoshop in this production at all, sir. ;)

For serious.

• 3 months later...
That is SOOO wrong!!!! Everyone knows that the "Nationally-famous Circle 7" has been used by ABC O&O and affiliated stations for years. And now they want to change to that logo??!!! Man, I am sooo dissed!!!!!

So you are retarded. K thought so.

Archived