Illinois Earthquake

lazynetjunkie

Just incase you haven't turned on the news yet, we just had a 5.4 magnitude earthquake down in southern Illinois which could be felt all the way up here in the Chicago area. It happened somewhere between 4:37-4:40AM (4:39AM on my clock) depending on the clock you happened to be looking at. Since NBC 5 is the only live local news at 4:30AM, they were first to break with the news.

It shook my house and woke me up. I even felt the aftershock a minute later. I live in a very old house built in 1885 in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago. I have some new good sized cracks in the plaster walls and ceilings but that's fixable. I guess us in the midwest can forget we can get earthquakes too.

I'm seeing coverage on the stations here in Milwaukee. Due to an illness, I was actually laying on the floor at that time and didn't feel a thing... but there are people calling into the stations here claiming it actually woke them up and shook things in their house.

It was quiet as a mouse here, all I could hear was Early Today which I had on very quietly on the TV.

Not terribly surprising, the quake itself, but the magnitude is somewhat. The fault is a branch of the New Madrid Fault which runs along (roughly) the Mississippi River (though the exact location of the fault is unknown because of its depth).

The location of the quake is maybe 10 miles from my hometown (Grayville) and half that from where my mother now lives (Mt. Carmel). Looking it at on Google maps, what I find interesting is it was near the location of recently developed coal mine.

WFIE-14-Evansville begins their newscasts at 4:30am, and was transitioning to a weather segment when the quake struck. You can see video at 14wfie.com.

Just incase you haven't turned on the news yet, we just had a 5.4 magnitude earthquake down in southern Illinois which could be felt all the way up here in the Chicago area. It happened somewhere between 4:37-4:40AM (4:39AM on my clock) depending on the clock you happened to be looking at. Since NBC 5 is the only live local news at 4:30AM, they were first to break with the news.

It shook my house and woke me up. I even felt the aftershock a minute later. I live in a very old house built in 1885 in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago. I have some new good sized cracks in the plaster walls and ceilings but that's fixable. I guess us in the midwest can forget we can get earthquakes too.

I'm glad to hear that you're OK.

i felt it here in south central indiana (about 42 miles west of Terre Haute, 14 miles from IU Bloomington) and it shook things pretty good here, also at 1114 eastern there was 4.8 "aftershock" which shook things pretty good also.

Wow! Thank God you're alive lazynetjunkie. And I'm sorry to hear about you're house.

From what I heard about this earthquake, There were no major injuries or damage. Which appears to be good news.

The most damage around my area that I've heard from neighbors are knick knacks falling off shelves and/or wall or ceiling cracks. I live in one of those "historic districts" where the houses are really old so I guess that would be expected. People I know in much newer homes didn't get as much shaking. It seemed to be more of a spot by spot thing also.. Some areas, people felt more. Some areas, people barely felt anything. I guess there are numerous factors that would come into account.

Altogether, there was no real or major damage. The rest of the day went normal like any other day. People went to work and kids went to school and seemed to forgot all about it.

Archived