OMG Don Schwenneker

former newsboy

I can't stand him. Has he ever heared of humility? The guy just started and he's about as unpretentious as a brand new pair of ugly gym shoes. Not that I'm necessarily calling HIM ugly. Necessarily.

Anyways, kinda reminds me of Dave Price when he worked at 2. But at least I think Dave knew/knows he's a big dweeb; Schwenneker seems to relish in the wrongful assumption that he's awesome and that people actually like him. And maybe they would... over time... if he'd give it a rest and stop acting like he's been in town for years.

Ew, when he bites his lower lip, or when he says "exclusive CBS 2 WeatherTrak forecast". Or how bout that time, I think it might of even been his first weekend on the job when he walked off the set on crutches. Then there's Dan's Daily Briefing today

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/[email protected]

(which truth be told set off this tirade of mine) in which he just pops in the background unannounced, uninvited like he owns the joint and doesn't even follow-through with anything to say. He probably felt like a dork. Cuz he is. If he even gets Baskerville's job I'll vomit.

Haha I couldn't agree with you more on this post!

I am so glad he finally stopped wearing that flag pin. He is pretty annoying. ESPECIALLY after seeing today's Dan's Daily Briefing where he just drops in like one of those weirdos out on the street while doing a live shot. He looks like a total slob.

What is so "exclusive" about the weather forecast? He ALWAYS says that! It's like one of those words that is used so much in the news it doesn't even mean anything anymore.

I would have much rather seen him stay on weekends, or not on CBS 2 at all.

Don was incredibly popular here in Pittsburgh, and I think he is one of the most eminently watchable, knowledgable, UNpretentious people around. His departure was a gigantic loss for WTAE. Give him time, you'll like him.

Haha I couldn't agree with you more on this post!What is so "exclusive" about the weather forecast? He ALWAYS says that! It's like one of those words that is used so much in the news it doesn't even mean anything anymore.

That's from all his years at 'TAE. All their meteorologists use the word "exclusive," esp. during weather teases ("and coming up in a few minutes... your exclusive WeatherWatch4 forecast").

That's from all his years at 'TAE. All their meteorologists use the word "exclusive," esp. during weather teases ("and coming up in a few minutes... your exclusive WeatherWatch4 forecast").

I say give it some time and he'll stop saying it. Almost all the new weather forecasters that come to Chicago seem to have that same problem. FOX Chicago's Mark Strehl used to do the same thing when he first came to WFLD. He used to call it "Your exclusive FOX Forecast".. Something he took along from WIFR in Rockford. Mary Kay Kleist did the same thing.. She had her own word (I forgot what it was). It just takes some time for new weather forecasters to get used to the fact in Chicago, we don't use extravagant names for our weathercast.

Trust me, it is really hard to break those kind of habits. The short few months that WFLD changed their newscast title from "FOX News Chicago" to "FOX Chicago News", it drove anchors/reports up the wall and many were still saying and correcting themselves a few months into it. Luckily, they reverted back to "FOX News Chicago" where it will remain.

I'm watching

and I don't really read much into it. He seems to me to be like any other meteorologist I've ever seen on TV. I don't see him being pretentious... and I think throwing the word "exclusive" in once in awhile really isn't such a big deal.

Thank you so much for watching. I really do appreciate it! And thanks for spelling my name correctly!!!:)

If it's really you, Don... let it be known we do miss you in Pittsburgh!

Don was incredibly popular here in Pittsburgh, and I think he is one of the most eminently watchable, knowledgable, UNpretentious people around. His departure was a gigantic loss for WTAE. Give him time, you'll like him.

I'm positive Chicago will like him. You just have to keep an open mind. He was the best meteorologist here in Pittsburgh and it was terrible to see him go. He was a valuable asset for WTAE and he's definitely missed.

I'm positive Chicago will like him. You just have to keep an open mind. He was the best meteorologist here in Pittsburgh and it was terrible to see him go. He was a valuable asset for WTAE and he's definitely missed.

Personally, I like Don Schwenneker and his style. I think alot of Chicagoans do. I haven't heard any complaints anywhere (other than here) about him. I think he does a great job and he brings something different to the newscast.

It's really time that the "norm" in Chicago is broken. I know a handful of Chicagoans may not like it now but that's the only way things will change for the better at CBS 2.

Personally, I like Don Schwenneker and his style. I think alot of Chicagoans do.

I also like Don Schwenneker. As said, just give him time, and he will become more farmiliar with the city and he will become liked by more Chicagoans.

And um, what's your problem?

Maybe I was just taken back a little by the fact that the subject of this thread himself, Mr. Don Schwenneker, chose to chime-in so publicly on this little message board. As one of the admins., u know that never happens. Probably cuz it's not supposed to, and the fact that Don did just adds to my case, even if it was just a bunch of corporate drivel that speaks to nothing.

In fact, I betcha Don violated some sort of station policy by doing so. At the very least, it's weird.

Maybe I was just taken back a little by the fact that the subject of this thread himself, Mr. Don Schwenneker, chose to chime-in so publicly on this little message board. As one of the admins., u know that never happens. Probably cuz it's not supposed to, and the fact that Don did just adds to my case, even if it was just a bunch of corporate drivel that speaks to nothing.

In fact, I betcha Don violated some sort of station policy by doing so. At the very least, it's weird.

I doubt he violated any kind of policy. All he did was graciously respond to your criticism and I think he handled it very well. This should be a reminder to all of us that the people we watch on television, whether we love them or hate them, are people, too.

How is saying "Thanks for watching" violating station policy? Idiot.

How is saying "Thanks for watching" violating station policy? Idiot.

Eat me first on fox, that's not what I'm saying. His response was far too pointless for there to be anything inherently wrong with it. It's not what he said, it's the fact that he said anything at all. Just further reiterates my point that Don's comin on way too thick. U probably just have a boner that a real live on-air personality patronized your board.

Wait a second, you're saying that someone whom you're SAVAGING on the internet has no right to respond? None?

It's called "free speech," pal. No wonder you're a Former Newsboy.

Maybe I was just taken back a little by the fact that the subject of this thread himself' date=' Mr. Don Schwenneker, chose to chime-in so publicly on this little message board. As one of the admins., u know that never happens. [/quote']

I must disagree. There are several members here who regularly defend themselves against undue criticism. Don may be a little more public about it here, but that's nothing new. Anchors and reporters live lives just like you and I, and they deserve a change to defend themselves. All Don said was "thanks for watching." There's a lesson in respect for you.

And speaking of respect, watch what you say to the administration team, please. An aside: "bite me" was cute in the 80s, but it's a little beneath you, dontcha think?

I must disagree. There are several members here who regularly defend themselves against undue criticism. Don may be a little more public about it here, but that's nothing new. Anchors and reporters live lives just like you and I, and they deserve a change to defend themselves. All Don said was "thanks for watching." There's a lesson in respect for you.

And speaking of respect, watch what you say to the administration team, please. An aside: "bite me" was cute in the 80s, but it's a little beneath you, dontcha think?

YOUR USER NAME IS JESTBITEME. On top of that, I said eat me. Cuz he called me an idiot. Otherwise I wouldn't have said that.

And undue criticism? Says who? The karma police? Is there a "no negative posting unless it's about Diann Burns policy" I don't know about? It's not like I got nasty, or was "savaging" him as newsboy called it. Please. We all have our opinions and I obviously felt strongly about mine, which is why I posted. And isn't that the point of this site? The guy gets under my skin, still does, and I stand by what I said. Maybe that'll change over time - but I was open to that possibility to begin with.

BTW newsboy, FYI, I was newsboy before u were, before everyone had to re-register on here. I didn't wanna lose my identity altogether after participating on this board for years, so I did what I could with it after u snatched it up. Not that I care, and not that I'm actually responding to your attempt at an insult. But just so u know.

But cfif, YOUR reply was good :rofl!:

YOUR USER NAME IS JESTBITEME. On top of that, I said eat me. Cuz he called me an idiot. Otherwise I wouldn't have said that.

And undue criticism? Says who? The karma police? Is there a "no negative posting unless it's about Diann Burns policy" I don't know about? It's not like I got nasty, or was "savaging" him as newsboy called it. Please. We all have our opinions and I obviously felt strongly about mine, which is why I posted. And isn't that the point of this site? The guy gets under my skin, still does, and I stand by what I said. Maybe that'll change over time - but I was open to that possibility to begin with.

BTW newsboy, FYI, I was newsboy before u were, before everyone had to re-register on here. I didn't wanna lose my identity altogether after participating on this board for years, so I did what I could with it after u snatched it up. Not that I care, and not that I'm actually responding to your attempt at an insult. But just so u know.

But cfif, YOUR reply was good :rofl!:

Jeez! You're like John Kerry, a reply for everything. I think I'm gonna lock this thread, and go on a party ride.

(For what it's worth, my username is just a username, not a statement directed at another member. What I said still stands. Be respectful.)

Archived