CBS 2 Auctioning off Station Props, Backdrops, Memorabilia, etc.

cbs2worksforyou

Sun Times columnist Robert Feder reports that CBS 2 will be auctioning off station memorabilia this summer after it moves to its new home next to Daley Plaza. They are going to be getting rid of props, backdrops, logos, and lights. How cool!

For those of you who have been wondering when this will all take place, ricklevin.com has the auction scheduled for Saturday, August 2nd at 10AM at the CBS 2 studios on McClurg Court.

....which means they should be at their new studios in July???

As the "expert" here on auctions and liquidations (I go to many of them), I'm going to advise you to bring ALOT of cash. Yes, I said cash. Also, don't forget a driver's license or state ID. Be prepared to be paying a high amount for items with the CBS 2 logo on it. You're probably going to be spending a good couple hundred dollars to get a good item or 2 with the logo on it. There will most likely be quite a bit of aggressive bidding going on that kind of stuff.

Eventhough the Feder's column states that there will be backdrops, logos, etc., the majority of the items going to be auctioned off will be office furniture, shelving, studio equipment, CRT computer monitors, power strips, TONS OF CHAIRS, etc. Mostly old and obsolete stuff they wouldn't want to take to the new home. If anyone knows the stuff that WPXI left behind in their old building, you know what I'm talking about. I know there's an assortment of odds and ends that the radio stations (WBBM-AM and -FM) left behind upstairs. I'm sure the DDG studio set is going to be auctioned off in pieces. I myself am curious to know which backdrops are going to be auctioned off.. I know there's a couple sitting in studio 2 that they were planning to take to their new building for possible future use. Quite a bit of WBBM historic related items will be going with them to their new home so I'm also kind of curious what, if any, of that they're going to auction off.

Since the building itself is going to be demolished, I'm not sure if they're also going to be auctioning off building fixtures too (room/hall lights, doors, windows, electrical panels, ceiling tiles, etc.).

Don't count on there being Gari Communications Enforcer music CD's, mic flags, or logo coffee mugs to bid on. That kind of stuff is going to be moved to the new home too; plus, the employees will most likely grab what they want out of the place before they sign what's left over to the auctioneers.

The online auction will most likely be done through Proxibid. That's what the real auctioneers use, not that ebay crap.

One important thing: Be sure to bring tools and maybe some friends to help. Also, you're probably going to need extra money to park your vehicle with your tools in the parking garage. Everything is going to be sold where-is and as-is. The buyer is going to be fully responsible for take apart and removal and most of the time, that's going to be expected the same day as the auction or a day or 2 after. So if you're going to be buying the set, be prepared to remove it from the building right away.

If this is going to be your first time to an auction, it's going to be fun. Just be sure you know your budget. Also, don't be intimidated by the auctioneer's chant (that fast talking he/she does). Trust me, when you're in the auction, you'll understand clearly everything he/she is saying.

• 1 month later...

http://www.museum.tv/eventssection.php?page=458

The preliminary list of items is up. It seems to me that the best way to put this auction is "EVERYTHING MUST GO".

"Interesting" items:

• Lot #19: Fixtures & Contents of Mens Room #325
  • Lot #28: Fire Hose & Reel
  • Lot #94: Ridged 400a Pipe Threading Machine
  • Lot #101: 2- Adirondack Style Lawn Chairs
  • Lot #102: Cabinet W/ Solvent

A very good way for CBS 2 to get rid of stuff besides throwing it out. I wonder if they'll be selling anything with the CBS 2 logo on it.

From what I saw:

lot #113: Lighted Sign “Channel 2 CBS”

Lot #126: Plexiglas (?? I can't see this being just plain Plexiglas.)

141-154: Some of this stuff will likely have the CBS logo on it, but it seems to be grouped in with other stuff like lighting and set materials.

From what I saw:

Lot #126: Plexiglas (?? I can't see this being just plain Plexiglas.)

141-154: Some of this stuff will likely have the CBS logo on it, but it seems to be grouped in with other stuff like lighting and set materials.

It's probably just plain plexiglass.. There's quite a stash of plain plexiglass sheets (and other extra/scrap building materials) for building custom furniture, set pieces, etc.

As far as I know, a couple of the plexi pieces in the set with the CBS 2 logos are going to be taken to the new building but there maybe some plexi from the set that will have the logo left behind.. However, this stuff is being sold in lots so be prepared to take a whole lot of other junk along with what you want.

Archived