HD Reception Issues

Hi Everyone. Been a while since I posted on here. Hope all is well.

I recently got my HD TV (32 inch Vizio 720p flatscreen) and it's great. However, I cannot get WHP and WHTM on the HD. I know the WHP signal in HD is very very low since they had a transmitter fire a few months back. As for WHTM I can't even get them and their new 27.2 channel. I find it so funny that the strongest HD signals I get is WGAL, and WPMT, and they are at least 20 miles from me.

My question is this: How many of you (if you get the HD over the air and not satellite or cable), have outdoor antennas? Any good suggestions?

Thanks

- Matt

Thinking of it, your reply does make sense. WHP is on digital channel 4, and WHTM is 10. So maybe I need an antenna that picks up both VHF & UHF.

But also take this into consideration: the TV I had before wasn't HD, but had a digital turner built in. The antenna I had did pick up WHTM DT. It was far from a perfect picture, but it did pick up the signal.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out.

-- Matt

I have also been trying to do my homework on DTV/HD over-the-air reception and how to boost it - respectively, for those of us who live in our respective DMA's outer counties/regions. Have you maybe looked into signal boosters or signal amplifier equipment in addition to an outdoor antenna?

Cfif's thoughts make since. In St. Louis we have (or will have) one VHF digital station, KUMO-LD on Channel 10. It remains to be seen whether the station will have wide reception. The others are all on UHF.

I would mention that sometimes stations on UHF low (13-20) may be annoying, as is the case with KNLC-DT, on Channel 14. The others, KPLR (26), KDNL (31), KSDK (35), KETC (39), KTVI (43), WRBU (47), and KMOV (now 56, later 24). One needs to look no farther than WBBM-DT, Channel 3 to see how annoying VHF digital stations can be.

While the signal propagates quite fine, the signal is highly receptive to interference. Unfortunately it's likely that an amplifier may make it worse, depending on the conditions in your location. Try to see if you can orient the antenna in such a way that you can get all of the locals without amplification.

For indoor use, the Zenith/Panasonic/Philips Silver Sensor seems to be really good at both low and high UHF/VHF reception. I have one and it has served well with set top box.

You also might want to look into the amplified Philips branded Silver Sensor. The actual elements are encased in plastic so it looks a little more aesthetically pleasing, and I've found that it works extremely well for picking up UHF digital stations. I picked one of these up when I first purchased my 42-inch Vizio 1080p LCD TV and I was still living in the San Jose State dorms and was blown away at the amount of digital channels I was able to pick up. Being on the 15th floor might have something to do with it, but there were about four cinderblock walls and about 45 miles between my antenna and Sutro Tower.

This amplified Silver Sensor also has VHF dipole antennas. The standard Silver Sensor only works for UHF channels, but it can pick up VHF if you're relatively close to the transmitter (~15 miles). When I was using my antenna, reception of KNTV-DT on channel 12 was pretty spotty; some days it would come in great, others not so much.

I know some people are anti-amplified antennas, but this one really works. I know Circuit City should carry it, not sure about Best Buy or another similar consumer electronics store.

Archived