Walter Richards, Bill Smith, Willa Sandmeyer and Janet Choi out at KTLA-Channel 5

312newswannabe

from laobserved.com :

More downsizing at KTLA?

8:55 PM Monday

ERS News says that seven Channel 5 news staffers got the pink slip today, including on-air reporters Walter Richards, Bill Smith, Willa Sandmeyer and Janet Choi. Two long-time executive producers also are named, along with Joseph Russin, the executive planning editor who had previously been an assistant managing editor at the L.A. Times in charge of coordinating coverage with KTLA (thus, doing what Sam Zell says he wants his properties to do.) I have no independent confirmation of the names, but you'll remember that in May a new boss was brought in to start downZelling the newsroom. Back in April ex-anchor Carlos Amezcua predicted big changes at KTLA — and not for the better. Meanwhile, the reporters' bios remain on the staff page and Smith's blog is still up.

And so continues the KCOPization of KTLA, where a one time popular independent gets gobbled up by corporate interests becomes a haven for mindless filler programming. Rupert did it KCOP, Sam Hell is doing it to KTLA, as well as all things Tribune!

CHANT WITH ME!!!!!

Go to Hell Sam Zell Go to Hell!! Clap Clap!

This is only the beginning, there are more cuts to come for sure. I don't know why some people are surprised by the layoffs at Tribune. We all knew it was bound to happen and I suspect WGN is next and then it will be WPIX. I might be in the minority here, but I can't blame Sam Zell for the layoffs. Blame it on the old Tribune management, they kept spending and spending and spending money left and right without really thinking of the consequences. Yes, I know that Zell took Tribune private and that added to the company's debt, but there was no other way. The Chandler family wanted out of their stake in Tribune, and there was really no other way to keep the company alive without taking them private and of course Sam Zell to purchase the company. We all have to remember that Sam Zell is NOT a broadcaster, he is a real estate mogul and his ultimate goal is to make money. I think that Tribune will be a better company, but that is years from now. For the present and the foreseeable future look for and expect VJ's/One man bands/backpack journo's to be the standard at the company. There are already rumors spreading that KSWB will be a OMB station, and if this is happening at a new start up station, look for it to become the "norm" at other Trib stations. I think that Tribune's partnership with LOCAL TV LLC, will maybe add a few more people to the layoff list. I say this because in most cities where Tribune owns a station, Local TV already has a tv station there (Denver, St. Louis to name a few) and they can essentially share some resources. Oh and Local TV is supposedly going to be operating the day to day activities of KSWB, which may be a sign that they might manage the day to day operations of other Tribune properties.

I always thought KTLA was doing well. I guess not. I wonder how their ratings are doing. The last time I was in LA, I noticed that KTLA's newscasts were becoming somewhat tabloid-ish. They probably did this so they could go toe-to-toe with KTTV. It's kind of sad, because KTLA was the first television station on the West Coast and they also had the first news helicopter (KTLA Telecopter.) You think they could get rid of the helicopter and save some on-air jobs?

It's also true that old Trib and KTLA mgmt made a disaster of the station. We all remember Vinnie Malcolm and Jeff Wald, now they're gone. But with Walter Richards being let go from the station, it makes one wonder, what will become of the Weekend Prime News, a newscast that just seems to be there to fill timeslots, as Walt was the primary anchor there. Could there perhaps be signs of cancellation for the weekend news, and what about Prime News, while Leila Feinstein turn into another Lauren Sanchez?

Tough times ahead indeed, maybe some of us aspiring journos should think of other fields to work in. I am already contemplating a life in the airline industry or in PR.

I always thought KTLA was doing well. I guess not. I wonder how their ratings are doing. The last time I was in LA, I noticed that KTLA's newscasts were becoming somewhat tabloid-ish. They probably did this so they could go toe-to-toe with KTTV. It's kind of sad, because KTLA was the first television station on the West Coast and they also had the first news helicopter (KTLA Telecopter.) You think they could get rid of the helicopter and save some on-air jobs?

I know their helicopter pilot/reporter. When I see him, I'll ask him whats going to happen to their helicopter.

It's also true that old Trib and KTLA mgmt made a disaster of the station. We all remember Vinnie Malcolm and Jeff Wald, now they're gone. But with Walter Richards being let go from the station, it makes one wonder, what will become of the Weekend Prime News, a newscast that just seems to be there to fill timeslots, as Walt was the primary anchor there. Could there perhaps be signs of cancellation for the weekend news, and what about Prime News, while Leila Feinstein turn into another Lauren Sanchez?

Tough times ahead indeed, maybe some of us aspiring journos should think of other fields to work in. I am already contemplating a life in the airline industry or in PR.

The airline industry is in hell right now with the cuts from AA, UA, DL, CO, US and the nickel and diming. The ones that are worth right now are WN and B6. BTW, PM.

Actually, I was considering WN and B6....I have always had fine experiences flying them, as opposed to some of the older established brands, which I feel with stick around. They are too established to end up TWA or Eastern or Western or PamAm, all of which failed to either plane crashes, money issues, or overall deregulation.

It's good to be a jack of all trades sometimes methinx =P

Archived