CBS 2's "Finally Tonight"

former newsboy

This is nice. And it almost works. Almost.

I'm all for Channel 2 not ending it's 10PM newscast with the water skiing squirrel anymore, but since when did Rob Johnson become the moral authority on things? Before their last time-out he even says "my thoughts on [insert topic here] when we come back". MY thoughts. HIS thoughts. ROB JOHNSON'S thoughts.

It'd be one thing if he and Anne State split the segment and simply read a written station account for that day, but Rob playing Uncle Walter here doesn't sell. He's only 40 years old, only been in the market 10, and has only had the top job for what, a year, and here he is being the voice of reason for us all. And to put it nicely, often his sentiment isn't very insightful. (Example - from his thoughts about July 4th: "Layer upon layer of clothing have been replaced by more minimalist attire." Thanks Rob, I didn't know people didn't wear their swimsuits in the wintertime.)

I like the segment, all I'm saying is I don't like an anchor doing commentary, unless he's got the gravitas to go with it. Rob, grow some gray hair first. Til then, speak for the station, and share the duties with Anne.

Surprise, it's another negative post from Former Newsboy. "I'm all for Channel 2 not ending it's 10PM newscast with the water skiing squirrel anymore, but since when did Rob Johnson become the moral authority on things?" "ROB JOHNSON'S thoughts" Relax...it's a kicker plus your argument is flawed. You have a problem with Rob giving his thoughts because he's 40, without gray hair, has had the top job for a year, and has been in the market 10 years. Yet you want him to "share the duties with Anne" who's younger than 40, doesn't look like she has gray hair, has never worked in the market, and has had the top job for 3 months.

In previous post you bash Rob Johnson, you bash Don Schwenneker, you didn't think Mark Suppelsa was going to WGN and that "Mark's using WGN" Have you ever tried to respectfully contact any of these people to see what they're all about? "Til then" Former Newsboy, grow some class.

Surprise' date=' it's another negative post from Former Newsboy. "I'm all for Channel 2 not ending it's 10PM newscast with the water skiing squirrel anymore, but since when did Rob Johnson become the moral authority on things?" "ROB JOHNSON'S thoughts" Relax...it's a kicker plus your argument is flawed. You have a problem with Rob giving his thoughts because he's 40, without gray hair, has had the top job for a year, and has been in the market 10 years. Yet you want him to "share the duties with Anne" who's younger than 40, doesn't look like she has gray hair, has never worked in the market, and has had the top job for 3 months.

In previous post you bash Rob Johnson, you bash Don Schwenneker, you didn't think Mark Suppelsa was going to WGN and that "Mark's using WGN" Have you ever tried to respectfully contact any of these people to see what they're all about? "Til then" Former Newsboy, grow some class.

Surprise, it's another attack on former newsboy. "Nice day", I'm glad I've inspired you to join tvnewstalk.net, I guess I'm good for business round here.

But my argument is not flawed, yours is. If you would've read things more closely, or more than once before sounding off, u would've noticed I clearly stated my like for this "kicker". Nothing negative there. You would have also read my desire that the pieces reflect the station's perspective, and not that of the anchor. As for Rob sharing the duties with Anne, I simply meant taking turns reading that copy. How u gathered I'd like to know what Anne thinks I'm not quite sure. Again, it must've been a rush to jugement, so again, take your time reading things.

BTW, who's bashing Rob Johnson? (OK, he does look EXACTLY like a male cheerleader but I'm only saying that now). Can u argue with any of my points? Or the fact that he'd look perfect in a sweater vest and white polyester pants? And don't even get me started on his tan...

As for thinking Mark wouldn't wind up at WGN, you've got me, guess u've been keeping score. Then u no doubt also know that I wasn't the only one here who thought so. And remembered that Feder and others in town got it wrong last time. U surely must've noticed that I, unlike others on here, didn't say one negative word about Mark during all that. This may blow your mind, but I like Mark Suppelsa and was only hoping he'd make a better, more exciting career move than boring old WGN News at 9.

While I'm at it, I don't really enjoy being painted with the classless brush cuz that's simply not true. I've had many nice things to say about personalities and operations, both singing their praises and just plain giving credit where credit's due. Most know that I'm Mary Ann Childers' biggest fan for example, and the list of those I admire goes on and on. My intention isn't to offend, but rather to discuss, however I continue to find myself on the defensive lately. So I suppose I'll try to work on the sarcastic nature of some of my posts, perhaps interjecting some more humor here and there. But I gotta say, with all this criticism I've been getting, I've developed somewhat of a thicker skin. So I thank you, and I highly recommend that some of you do the same, you'll feel better (I do). Just a suggestion though.

I'll agree to disagree on how we've read each others post or we could just keep going and going. BTW, I agree with you (although stated differently) Rob Johnson is good looking and has a great tan but he's more than just his looks. I can tell you from talking to him at a charity event he's smart and devotes a lot of time helping others.

Anyway, if it stops raining, I'm off to work on getting my thicker skin tan. :awesome:

I think this is a nice idea. It reminds me of how in the olden days, when anchors gave small editorials. Of course, viewer habits have changed since then and it may not work. Still, it's pretty interesting and I like it.

Archived