CBS 2 News

NewsJunkie247

About one year ago, Chris and Kristine were named 11PM anchors and Jim and Dana were put on the noon news. I want to know what people think of CBS 2 today. I have really grown to like Chris and Kristine and even though it was sad to see Jim Rosenfield leave, Dana and Don are great and have a lot of chemistry with each other. It was also about a year ago that Lonnie Quinn started doing the forecasts at 5, 6, and 11 and he has also grown on me as well. He seems to inject personality and energy into his forecasts. Whats your feedback about the station today? I think that overall, the station has gotten much better than what it was about a year ago.

Also as a quick side note: CBS 2's intro has changed. Instead of having the top stories and then the intro with shots of the city, they have the intro and then the top stories.

I thought the changes were unnecessary, at first. Now, I think the changes were worth while. All the new hires at WCBS seem to have grown on me. I thought Dana was best suited to doing the late news, but she does well on the noon newscast. After all, the ratings are going up. This is a dramatic turnaround for a station once considered the bottom-dweller in New York news.

I still prefer CBS2 over the other 'options' in the market---despite Kristine having terrible speaking patterns and Lonnie Quinns' exhaustive hand movements at the weather wall.

But what CBS2 did was change their anchors to better suit the demographics they are chasing. They went much younger (looking) on their primetime shows to hopefully draw in that primo demo.

Chris Wragge really holds together the 5 and 11 shows though. But he even times can get a little too serious and edgy for hard news. But again, the reporting and overall substance I get from CBS2 is better than 4,5,7,9, and 11.

I like the team, being someone who is younger (mid-twenties) I like seeing a younger group tell me what's happening, opposed to a group in their 50s and 60s.

I find CBS 2 News to be pretty unwatchable most of the time. I will grant that Chris Wragge has made it work. A pleasant surprise. But Kristine I still cannot stand. And Lonnie Quinn -- ugh! What a goofball.

I'm also befuddled by Don Dahler. He's better than Kristine, but I'm not sure why he's an anchor in NYC. He looks like the kind of guy who should be the elder statesman anchor in Cedar Rapids - -the kind of guy who is a big fish in a small pond, someone who's been there for 20 years. He's fine, but blah.

I just think the place lacks gravitas (exception: Dana) most of the time.

Although I prefer WNBC, I have seen slot of progress, finding their own style of news, which I guess is a little more approachable than the otherbstations. I see why it got them to 2nd place, but it's personally not my style.

Have they found new weekend morning anchors yet?

Steve Bartelstein and Mary Calvi anchor the weekend morning news, as well as the weekend evening news. Before Steve and Mary, Deborah Garcia anchored with a number of people like Sean Hennessey and Brendan Keefe.

I like Steve and Mary, but I will say that putting them on both morning and evening is a little excessive. Give them a break. I prefer them more in the evenings. Put Deborah Garcia and Sean Hennessey back on in the mornings. They were good, as well.

I like Steve and Mary, but I will say that putting them on both morning and evening is a little excessive. Give them a break. I prefer them more in the evenings. Put Deborah Garcia and Sean Hennessey back on in the mornings. They were good, as well.

I agree. Both mornings and evenings is excessive. Sean and Deborah were good together and even though Steve and Mary are good, I would like to see them anchoring the weekend morning news again. I know that Deborah reports on the weekend morning news, so I guess they could put Cindy Hsu with Sean Hennessey.

Last weekend Priya David from CBS News was on with Steve.

I'm not sure they used her over one of the women at WCBS.

Perhaps at the last minute Mary called in sick and they could only get Priya. I thought she wasn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

There was something odd this am on WCBS.

For some reason they decided to not have live weather forecasts this AM.

Instead they had Steve and Cindy talking over the live weather radar as a cover as they went to the taped Megan Glaros.

The video of the forecast was 16:9 standard definition and looked very soft.

Which is odd cause they record the weekend AM sports reports in HD.

How could they have no one to fill in?

I think I figured out what happened, Megan was supposed to be doing a remote but WCBS had problems. I guess the taped forecasts were a backup.

They had John Elliott come in for the last half hour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived