A Dozen Items for Stations to Worry About

bostonmediaguy

A very interesting article from today's TV Newsday (http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2008/07/18/daily.7/).

Some highlights:

The end of the CW. Big Three affiliates who are upset with lousy programming, loss of exclusivity and reverse compensation should at least take solace in that they still have a network. There is growing expectation that the CW will soon go the way of DuMont. Smart CW affiliates are making plans for life after CW. If it survives, fine. If it doesn't, they'll be ready with something to fill those primetime hours.

We're already seeing this with the Tribune stations. I read a few weeks ago that they're trying to lure Jay Leno.

The lack of programming creativity at stations. To better serve local and young audiences, TV stations are going to have to get into the business of creating their own programming, just as they did in the old days, something besides news. Yet, TV stations simply don't have the creative talent to produce any kind of programming other than news. Those people all drifted away years ago when station managers decided it was easier to fill in around the network fare with just news and syndication. Who around your conference room table could come with an idea for — let alone produce — a program that would entice the teenagers in your market?

This is so vital! Why don't stations understand? They need to be able to control their own destiny and the only way that can be done is if major market stations begin producing local programming again. Some of the more successful stuff could be syndicated regionally (or if a larger audience interest exists, nationally).

A very interesting article from today's TV Newsday (http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2008/07/18/daily.7/).

Some highlights:

We're already seeing this with the Tribune stations. I read a few weeks ago that they're trying to lure Jay Leno.

This is so vital! Why don't stations understand? They need to be able to control their own destiny and the only way that can be done is if major market stations begin producing local programming again. Some of the more successful stuff could be syndicated regionally (or if a larger audience interest exists, nationally).

I wonder which networks would pick up some of the popular CW shows (should the network go the way of the dodo) like "Gossip Girl", "One Tree Hill", "Smallville", "America's Next Top Model", etc.

I wonder which networks would pick up some of the popular CW shows (should the network go the way of the dodo) like "Gossip Girl", "One Tree Hill", "Smallville", "America's Next Top Model", etc.

Uh, WTF? No one will. Those shows aren't popular and have run their course (aside from Gossip Girl). If they were "popular," the net wouldn't be in trouble.

Uh' date=' WTF? No one will. Those shows aren't popular and have run their course (aside from Gossip Girl). If they were "popular," the net wouldn't be in trouble.[/quote']

I meant "most-watched". Nevertheless, aside from Gossip Girl, they are not AND were not popular! Period!!

The latter three have all had decent runs, and already got one second chance when UPN merged into the CW. "Smallville" has a good seven seasons, which is good considering the networks it aired on.

If "Top Model" were to continue, I'd guess either MTV or VH-1 would pick it up. It seems to fit in perfectly with their reality-competition block of shows, and reruns already air on MTV.

For the most part I blame the CW as the culprit behind the destruction of some of the finest television stations around, and for the network to fold would be good news. I for one would rather see television stations revert to independent status. A fair share of locally-produced programming and quality syndicated programming, plus movies, and news.

The CW of course, has outsourced its sunday lineup to another production company and has lost the WWE...which could signal tough times for the network.

I would say that one big objection comes from Demon Cable. Cox has made it clear they don't like stations doing local programming... they think people prefer national programs.

AT&T and Verizon, on the other hand, make stations that carry local programming a priority when adding markets.

As far as programming for teens, we're working on it. We've developed a partnership with Hope Street Youth Development here in Wichita with a goal of producing 2-3 hours a week of programming for teens, by teens.

What say you guys?

EXACTLY!!! I'd love to see something that was locally produced instead of the endless "Who's My Baby's Daddy" pablum.

The medium, or rather the station ownership groups (and their investors and shareholders), is going to have to get past the "do (get more) more with less" mantra if they want to produce local programming. It is for this reason they would rather air syndicated court, talk or game shows and relegate hiring talent to the station's newscasts or, in some markets, the morning hybrid paid-for talk show.

It is also for this reason that the networks air such crappy non-scripted programming, you can get more by spending less money: the production company, or network, only has to pay the participants (aside from the host) if they win the competition versus paying a per-episode salary to a group of actors.

Compare the $1M prize amortized (spread out) over 22 episodes (or however many "Survivor" runs) versus the $20M - $30M per-episode budget of a scripted hour-long drama and you quickly see why the broadcast networks are relying on the un-scripted to fill their schedule.

Archived