Changes on KPRC Local 2

nbc9houston

During the weather segment, I heard Jonathan Novack saying the new weather graphics are in "HD". That was the only mentioning of "HD" during their news at six.

I just got a response to an E-mail I sent to KPRC's Director of Engineering (Dale E. Werner). He says that tonight's 6:00pm newscast is the first in High Definition.

dropping Hometown News for Viral? I like Viral just not on KPRC

I agree with you on this. Dropping Hometown & Advantage (to me at the least) was a very bad move. But I do like the new opening graphics.

Kudos to Local 2 for jumping the HD bandwagon.

Here's this morning's news open. It's obviously generic because they used this same open from last night's 10pm show. I hope they don't use this for all of their newscasts.

[yt]cfELydq8l4s[/yt]

Video courtesy of Houstontvnews from YT

I will say this...the camera shots they got in Houston is actually better than the Hothaus work for KTRK by actually driving around Downtown and flying around. I agree they should have gotten more areas in the open but hopefully there is more opens to come. Overall this new set of GFX is good but still wishing they didnt drop Hometown News.

The open is nice, and I do like the Viral package, it beats having to listen to the overly synthesized Hometown News and Advantage. I don't like the L3's, they are too much like their previous ones.

The open is nice, and I do like the Viral package, it beats having to listen to the overly synthesized Hometown News and Advantage. I don't like the L3's, they are too much like their previous ones.

But in a way their L3s though are done right with the look. And I think Viral is going to grow on me, I like how WINK uses it, but the question is whenever more of the graphics start rolling out, how much more of the package will they use. I didn't like how they were using pretty much just a selection of 2-5 cuts.

Now, If KPRC can get some more gravitas to bring them back from a consistent 4th, 5th @ 10 PM, than we will see what will happen. It is though real sad how management pretty much made KPRC the red-headed stepchild while all other Post Newsweek operations have done decent to the market leader in there respective markets. I know Houston is a difficult market in its own right, with KTRK, and KHOU, plus KRIV primed and ready to take over. It's also going to be interesting what 39 Does with Zell at the reign?

dropping Hometown News for Viral? I like Viral just not on KPRC

I'm not diggin' Viral. We use it at the TV/Radio station I work for and it doesn't have a lot of depth. Although, when KPRC went to Advantage...they never used *that* to it's full potential.

Here's this morning's news open. It's obviously generic because they used this same open from last night's 10pm show. I hope they don't use this for all of their newscasts.

[yt]cfELydq8l4s[/yt]

Video courtesy of Houstontvnews from YT

The sun's usually up by 7 in Houston isn't it. It can't be that dark at 7. Yeah, they would be pretty cheap and annoying if they just applied that to every newscast.

Overall it's alright. Nothing exciting or outstanding but it does the job. I like WDIV HD graphics better.

Overall it's alright. Nothing exciting or outstanding but it does the job. I like WDIV HD graphics better.

I too am a fan of WDIV's GFX. They're the only chance I get to see RenderOn GFX (the closest anyone in Denver has to RenderOn is KDVR and they're using the O&O package).

And Viral sounds like a clone of Extreme (I define a "clone package" to be one that sounds kind of like a certain pack but not the same, like Ignitor is to Impact).

Yeah, Their new music is ok. Their new graphics, mostly the new open looks great in HD. Maybe this will boost their ratings a little because they are rated #3 in Houston.

#1: KTRK ABC 13

#2: KHOU CBS 11

#3: KPRC NBC 2

Yeah, Their new music is ok. Their new graphics, mostly the new open looks great in HD. Maybe this will boost their ratings a little because they are rated #3 in Houston.

#1: KTRK ABC 13

#2: KHOU CBS 11

#3: KPRC NBC 2

Mercedes. I know your a KTRK mark and its appreciated. But KPRC's graphics will not make them back to #3 in the market. That will still belong to FOX26 certainly when there new Five and Five-Thirty News comes out next month. KPRC has a lot more they need help in, although this is a step in the right direction, they still need a lot more help before they can get higher than fourth.

If I were running KPRC Local 2 and if I needed to make some really serious changes, here's what I would do:

Bill Balleza: 5 & 10 PM Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Dominique Sachse: 5 & 10 PM Anchor/Reporter (MOVE BACK TO DAYBREAK AND NOON)

Owen Conflenti: Weekday Morning & 11 AM Anchor (MOVE TO WEEKEND EVENINGS)

Lauren Freeman: Weekday Morning & 11 AM Anchor (NO CHANGE)

Jerome Gray: 4 PM & 6 PM Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Wendy Corona: 4 PM & 6 PM Anchor/Reporter (MOVE TO WEEKEND EVENINGS)

Rachel McNeill: Weekend Evening Anchor/Reporter (MOVE TO WEEKDAYS: 4 & 6 pm)

Courtney Zavala: Weekend Morning Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Also, KPRC Local 2 should take advantage of making Sherry Williams (formerly of KHCW, which is now KIAH) Bill Balleza's new co-anchor.

If I were running KPRC Local 2 and if I needed to make some really serious changes, here's what I would do:

Bill Balleza: 5 & 10 PM Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Dominique Sachse: 5 & 10 PM Anchor/Reporter (MOVE BACK TO DAYBREAK AND NOON)

Owen Conflenti: Weekday Morning & 11 AM Anchor (MOVE TO WEEKEND EVENINGS)

Lauren Freeman: Weekday Morning & 11 AM Anchor (NO CHANGE)

Jerome Gray: 4 PM & 6 PM Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Wendy Corona: 4 PM & 6 PM Anchor/Reporter (MOVE TO WEEKEND EVENINGS)

Rachel McNeill: Weekend Evening Anchor/Reporter (MOVE TO WEEKDAYS: 4 & 6 pm)

Courtney Zavala: Weekend Morning Anchor/Reporter (NO CHANGE)

Also, KPRC Local 2 should take advantage of making Sherry Williams (formerly of KHCW, which is now KIAH) Bill Balleza's new co-anchor.

I agree with you. I think Jerome and Rachel will work a lot better. I would though rather keep Owen on Daybreak and 11AM than move Dominique there. I rather her go to weekends than anything. KPRC I think made the mistake on building everything around Dominique when they had a solid anchor team in Bill Balleza and Linda Lorelle.

Archived