WGN Now Using New Graphics...

ctmajka

I'd like to compliment WGN on a seamless transition to HD, like channel 7, unlike NBC 5. The new graphics are nice but they remind me to much of sports graphics. The new news pack looks smiler to their sports graphics. I do agree with what someone said above about the Bug being new impossible to read but it is good. Non of their field stuff is in Wide screen or HD. It seems only studio stuff is in HD or even wide screen at this point. I am not a big big fan of the sidebars. I do like how the lower 3rds combine with the bug when they are put up. It looks very neat. Also, it appears the lotto is in HD now...the open is still 4:3 with side bars but the lotto studio shots are HD. Also the FSG with the winning numbers is in HD. So it appears everything but the open and close are in HD on the lotto. Overall I am now a 100% WGN Fan cause of the HD transition. Looking at a morning promo right now I was wondering, will the morning graphics have a different lighter purple color to them?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of the new graphics. They are a bit overwrought and obnoxious, especially with all thouse slanted lines moving all over the place. Plus, the text on the L3s seems smaller and more difficult to read (maybe I'm just getting old...)

=)

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of the new graphics. They are a bit overwrought and obnoxious, especially with all thouse slanted lines moving all over the place. Plus, the text on the L3s seems smaller and more difficult to read (maybe I'm just getting old...)

=)

You're not the only one. They're nice but nothing real spectacular. I personally think there's too much going on in some of the graphics. They could have done without all those diagonal thin white lines in just about everything. Those little lines do cause quite a bit of flickering on the screen.

An issue I see is that WGN has to realize that most people don't have a widescreen HD TV yet and should still keep things in the SD safe like the other stations in Chicago that are in HD. It now seems whenever they use the plasma for OTS, there's too much space between the anchor and the screen and a good chunk of the of the plasma screen is out of the SD view (on a couple of my TV's, at least). Same goes with Tom Skilling now.. Someone needs to tell him that he needs to keep more towards the center of the screen while doing his weather. It just doesn't look nice when he's looking at the camera and talking to the viewers but most viewers only being able to see half his face. These are just little things that I can see being corrected in no time at all. I understand that a station wants to show off that they're in HD now but just don't annoy the viewers that are still watching in SD.

On the new graphics note - on WGN's main page - there's a "Breaking News" story in regards to a ramp collapse from the WGN Morning News - however, when you play it, although it's the new graphics, does that clip not sound like the old WGN News Theme from Non-Stop?

It's weird how the initial comments about WGN's new graphics went from "they are awesome" to "they're okay" rather fast..... does someone out there think the new graphics are outright horrible?!?

Another rush job into HD take your time and do it right. The graphics are way to blue and seems just like they pulled the wgn sports graphics and used them.

I don't really think the HD launch was rushed.

Question: Did WGN hype their new HD newscasts prior to launch? Stations that set a date for themselves to go HD (e.g., "Starting September 15th, you can watch WXXX News in HD") and then advertise it for like a month before launch seem to be the ones that run into problems when they actually go HD.

It's weird how the initial comments about WGN's new graphics went from "they are awesome" to "they're okay" rather fast..... does someone out there think the new graphics are outright horrible?!?

I don't really think the HD launch was rushed.

Question: Did WGN hype their new HD newscasts prior to launch? Stations that set a date for themselves to go HD (e.g., "Starting September 15th, you can watch WXXX News in HD") and then advertise it for like a month before launch seem to be the ones that run into problems when they actually go HD.

I like to wait a little while to get a good look of the new graphics, including all its usage, before I comment. I'll usually wait a day or 2.

No, WGN didn't hype their HD newscasts prior to lauch. Neither did NBC 5 or ABC 7. However, ABC 7 ran into no problems at all and NBC 5 ran into alot of problems. The only one that did here in Chicago was CBS 2 but they pulled the promos because they ran into other problems at their new building delaying their move although none of the promos mentioned HD specifically. Chicago isn't really using HD as a gimmick to watch a station's newcast like most other markets out there.

I don't think they're outright horrible. They're just ok. They could be better but these will work for several years. Some little modifications wouldn't hurt.

Well I'm coming late into this. This is the first time I've been home to see WGN at night in a week and didn't even know they were debuting new graphics.

I like them I suppose but as someone said earlier, they are very 90sish. Especially their full screen graphics (Showing photos, etc.) The grey and blues attribute to that A LOT IMHO.

A couple little tidbits about WGN's new graphics I've noticed:

I guess WGN wasn't thinking about how their new graphics were going to look like on CLTV. CLTV's weather is done by WGN's weather department and using WGN's weather graphics. A good chunk of the temps and other information/text on the bottom half of the weather graphics are blocked by CLTV's lower third and bottom "crawl" (it's not really a crawl but you know what I mean) graphics. WGN should either use a modified set of graphics for CLTV's weather or CLTV should just remove the junk from the bottom of the screen when showing the weather. Hey, maybe just shrink the video of the weather segment to take up only the top 3/4's of the screen. Better yet, CLTV should get completely new graphics altogether.

Something else I noticed is that image of a cell phone used during their text to vote poll graphics each night. That cell phone in that photo looks to be about 8 to 10 years old. If you're going to get new graphics, at least get a new updated cell phone image too. Not an old cell phone that someone could easily confuse for a regular house line cordless phone.

Something else I noticed is that image of a cell phone used during their text to vote poll graphics each night. That cell phone in that photo looks to be about 8 to 10 years old. If you're going to get new graphics, at least get a new updated cell phone image too. Not an old cell phone that someone could easily confuse for a regular house line cordless phone.

No one is going to be confused and that's stupid to complain about the image of an old cell phone being used during those segments. A cell phone is a cell phone, even if the image is old, it still a cell phone and that image should stay.

No one is going to be confused and that's stupid to complain about the image of an old cell phone being used during those segments. A cell phone is a cell phone, even if the image is old, it still a cell phone and that image should stay.

Dude, I was just pointing it out. I know nobody is really going to be confused.

Anyways, I did have a cell phone like that back in the late '90s..

I say stick a Motorola in there or whichever company may be willing to pay to have their phone in there. A sneaky little way for some little added ad revenue.

As for the CLTV graphics, they appeared to have fixed the problem now. It looks like the weather graphics were modified so the bottom text/information (especially on the 7-days) aren't really blocked anymore.

Archived