Favorite Chicago TV Station

ChicagosNewsChannel

What is your favorite Chicago TV Station?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Chicago TV Station?

• WLS ABC 7 HD
    • WMAQ NBC 5 HD
    • WGN 9 HD
    • WFLD FOX CHICAGO 12/32
    • WBBM CBS 2

I've become a big fan of WLS (even living out of market) over the past few years. The station is solid all around.

I've also got a soft spot for WBBM, even though I voted for WLS. I frequently root for the underdog, and in Chicago, WBBM fits the bill. The seeds for competitiveness are there.

It's not surprising that no one is voting for Fox Chicago (I hate the branding). I have never cared for the station much and only watched it for American Idol, nothing else I can think of. I don't like how Fox runs their O&Os and especially that don't like that new myfox website. Fox stations need to have more localism, instead of being run like one big nationwide affiliate.

Fox's New World purchase in the early 90s, only hurt the strong VHF stations that switched to Fox. Most of them never saw the ratings they had as ABC, CBS, or NBC affiliates and have never recovered.

It's not surprising that no one is voting for Fox Chicago (I hate the branding). I have never cared for the station much and only watched it for American Idol, nothing else I can think of. I don't like how Fox runs their O&Os and especially that don't like that new myfox website. Fox stations need to have more localism, instead of being run like one big nationwide affiliate.

This is why this poll (along with most polls here on TVNT) is "flawed". People here will be voting on a station based on branding, graphics, etc. instead of taking the whole picture into account.

FOX Chicago (as well as the other FOX O&O's) are very local. You get all your local news headlines, your local weather, your local traffic, your local sports, your local politics, etc. just like all the other stations in town. You have to remember that the FOX newscasts are much longer than the other networks' newscasts. For example, most networks' late evening newscasts are only 35 minutes and FOX's are an hour (or an hour and a half in some cases) long. There's alot more time to fill in with content and many times, it's filled with more national coverage, maybe some Hollywood entertainment features, etc. Also, with FOX using reporters from other FOX stations to cover something happening in that station's city, that's something that's been done for many years by all the networks. The only difference with FOX is that FOX just has the reporters leave their mic flags on now. How is that not local enough for you? It shows the identity of that local FOX station.

What's wrong with the MyFox websites? Have you actually taken the time to go through MyFoxChicago.com? If anything, it's more local than any of the other networks' station's websites. There are message boards, there are chat features, there are blogs from your local talent on local issues. There's a number of ways for local viewers to be interactive with the station on MyFoxChicago.com. FOX did something with their stations' websites that no other network has done and it works well.

Eventhough all the FOX O&O's pretty much have the same graphics and music, each station is still run individually. So what's the big deal with all the FOX O&O's having the same graphics, music, etc.? The regular TV viewer (TVNT members don't count as the regular TV viewer) doesn't know and doesn't care that the other FOX stations in other cities use the same music and graphics. FOX (as most of the other networks) wanted to standardize their image and they implemented something that actually worked. The music, graphics, set, etc. all fit the FOX image and made most of the FOX O&O's look better than what they previously had. It just makes the FOX stations more identifiable wherever you go and looks better from a business standpoint. It's like going to the store. Most national chain stores have the same look(s), layout(s), image throughout all their stores in the company; however, each individual store sells the merchandise that makes that particular store a fit for that particular community. Plus, the FOX O&O package is not a strict package. There's plenty of flexibility within the set, graphics, music to make it all work for an individual station.

As for the FOX Chicago branding, get used to it. 10 years from now, there's a very good chance that channel numbers will no longer be in any networks' station's branding. Almost all the major UHF channels in Chicago no longer use the channel number in their name. FOX Chicago, Telemundo Chicago, Univision Chicago, and WCIU "The U". WPWR is really the only major UHF station that still uses the number; however, eventhough the website doesn't show it, the words/logo they use on much of their promos say/show "My 50 Chicago, Cable 8".

You also have to remember too that the FOX O&O's are run a little different than other networks' stations. Eventhough a FOX station may not be #1 or #2 in ratings, the station still makes the money that's expected out of them. The FOX stations are tight with their budgets. They don't go spending on things they don't need. They don't go buying new equipment every year and make unnecessary upgrades. Station staff is kept to what's necessary. If there's something that someone wants to change or upgrade, it is made sure that change is something that's really going to be worthwhile.

I have to agree with you lazy I watch Fox and NBC 5 those are my favorite. I especially like the format of The Ten fast paced news and heavy hitting. If i remember correctly Fox Chicago brings it the second most money in next to ABC7. WGN is the one station I never watch I don't know it is but maybe cause it doesn't seem right so I change the station right away. All we need is Fox HD and ill be happy and maybe Jeff Goldbatts hosting the 9 o'clock with Robin.

I'm not saying Fox Chicago doesn't have local coverage, it is just that Fox seems to want to make all their affiliates alike without taking into account the local market. I think it'd be nice if the stations were more unique to each market they serve in their branding, graphics, logo, and music. I don't see why Fox is branded into everything for 2 hours of primetime shows and the NFL football games in the fall. KTVU in San Francisco and WSVN in Miami are two non-O&O stations and don't incorporate Fox into their branding. Both stations are highly rated in their respective markets.

Network O&Os do similar things, but they aren't all alike. For example ABC 7 Chicago chose to drop the Eyewitness News name while most others still use it or Action News. ABC 7 keeps their own theme music and graphics and don't care what other ABC O&Os are using. WCBS, KCBS, and WBBM are all "CBS 2" but they have different logos, graphics, and theme music. What works in New York may not work the same in LA.

Lazy, down in St. Louis, KTVI has the largest team of reporters of all the stations. Before becoming a FOX station, KTVI had about 1/3 of the reporters, they have now. I suspect the difference between KTVI and WFLD is that as and ABC station, and not a independent, the station had invested far more into local news, and was a far more solid footing than WFLD, even today, even though 18 markets separate KTVI and WLFD. Even as ex O&O, KTVI is a stronger station. FOX spent money in St. Louis. The money wasn't spent on presentation, until the O&O makeovers occurred in April of 2006.

I stand by my assessment of WLS. The station is an all-around solid station; Chicago is a low BS market, as is most Midwest cities, so the lack of "Live SuperDoppler 70000" is not suprising. The station's graphic presentation is top notch, it's reporters are thorough and accurate.

I would like to add that Tom Skilling is a definite plus for WGN. He's one of the best meteorologists I've seen, and that not taking anything away from the mets in St. Louis (Roberts [KSDK], Erhardt [KMOV], Murray [KTVI].

Since I watch FOX primetime programming more than that of any other network, my vote is for WFLD. I like what the GM of WFLD/WPWR (in addition to the programming czar) has done with both stations over the past two years.

Compared to FOX O&Os in other markets (NYC and LA in particular), WFLD has always been more independent-minded. If News Corp. had not develop the plan to "brand" their O&O stations, WFLD would probably have the same music, set, graphics, etc.. that they had prior to the change-over. Heck..they still use 'Local Coverage...First' in their closing L3 during the Noon and 9 PM newscasts and that same slogan still appears on their live trucks. For years, they have resisted doing anything that other FOX stations do/have done and I like that.

I still call it either "FOX 32" or "Channel 32" today even though they'd dropped both those brands many years ago. I guess I do it for nostalgic reasons. I despise the "Fox Chicago" brand since the very day they went with it, therefore, I don't utter the brand "Fox Chicago". I strongly think that ever since the station dropped this logo below, the station went downhill and never recovered.

[yt]fVqdIglwTNA[/yt]

Video Courtesy of TownsendServer from YT

Yes, Walter Jacobson was a good anchorman after leaving Channel 2 but (IMHO) the greatest anchor pair on FOX 32 News/FOX News Chicago were Kris Long & Robin Robinson. Aside of adding newscasts throughout the years, there has been lack of Local Programming. The last sense of Local Programming (besides the news) was when Rich Koz (now works at WCIU) use to host/produce a few programs at FOX 32. I can careless for the MyFOX[whereever] websites and those overused on-air FOX O&O graphics. I never liked it from the get-go. I would've been more happier if the Fritz font logo would've stayed than these current on-air graphics, I don't care how old it is.

I was out of town earlier this summer and where I was staying, the cable had all channels from all cities across the US. I watched ABC 7 News Chicago, and it was great. They have great graphics also. The same firm that designed KTRK ABC 13 Houston also did WLS ABC 7 Chicago. You can tell because both are high in quality.

I was out of town earlier this summer and where I was staying, the cable had all channels from all cities across the US. I watched ABC 7 News Chicago, and it was great. They have great graphics also. The same firm that designed KTRK ABC 13 Houston also did WLS ABC 7 Chicago. You can tell because both are high in quality.

Where was that?

Anyways as someone from St. Louis. I get the WGN America feed down here so I am quite partial to WGN. There newscast are very professional and Tom Skilling is one of the most knowledgeable meteorologists out there. Plus I like watching the Cubs and White Sox games (even though I'm a Cardinals fan) and I hear they will be showing Blackhawks games this season too but that might be blacked outside of Chicago like the Bulls games tend to be for some reason. However, I've also notice that WLS has a superb, high-quality newscast and as the most viewed newscast in Chicago, I can see why.

However outside of news. My favorite station if I lived up there would probably be Fox Chicago. They seem to have the best syndicated fare, including Seinfeld and the Simpsons, which I think is on 3 times a day there.

I can't say much about their newscast. But I've noticed that the Fox station from the New World buyout tend to have less sensationalistic BS than long time Fox stations like WFLD and WTXF. KTVI really isn't that bad as a Fox affiliate and is definitely not as in your face as the cable news channel. In fact, I'm afraid KMOV is starting to get more sensationalistic than KTVI. Plus I do like the Myfox sites. I remember how horrendously crappy the previous Fox station sites were and Myfox was a significant improvement for them.

Lazy, down in St. Louis, KTVI has the largest team of reporters of all the stations. Before becoming a FOX station, KTVI had about 1/3 of the reporters, they have now. I suspect the difference between KTVI and WFLD is that as and ABC station, and not a independent, the station had invested far more into local news, and was a far more solid footing than WFLD, even today, even though 18 markets separate KTVI and WLFD. Even as ex O&O, KTVI is a stronger station. FOX spent money in St. Louis. The money wasn't spent on presentation, until the O&O makeovers occurred in April of 2006.

I stand by my assessment of WLS. The station is an all-around solid station; Chicago is a low BS market, as is most Midwest cities, so the lack of "Live SuperDoppler 70000" is not suprising. The station's graphic presentation is top notch, it's reporters are thorough and accurate.

I would like to add that Tom Skilling is a definite plus for WGN. He's one of the best meteorologists I've seen, and that not taking anything away from the mets in St. Louis (Roberts [KSDK], Erhardt [KMOV], Murray [KTVI].

Your example is excellent. I used to like KTVI's morning news quite a bit. It was a much stronger well established station when it became Fox. In contrast, KDNL 30 is a pathetic Big 4 network affiliate as their local news operation failed and they run sitcom reruns and syndicated shows during local news times. The station ranks 5th in the market as an ABC affiliate while KTVI was one of ABC's strongest affiliates. KDNL isn't even in the same league as WLS in Chicago!

Your example is excellent. I used to like KTVI's morning news quite a bit. It was a much stronger well established station when it became Fox. In contrast, KDNL 30 is a pathetic Big 4 network affiliate as their local news operation failed and they run sitcom reruns and syndicated shows during local news times. The station ranks 5th in the market as an ABC affiliate while KTVI was one of ABC's strongest affiliates. KDNL isn't even in the same league as WLS in Chicago!

KDNL isn't even in the same league as some CW affilates.

KDNL isn't even in the same league as some CW affilates.

That's for sure...Basically KDNL is just an outlet for ABC programming in St. Louis which could now be put on a digital subchannel of another area station which would probably improve ABC's ratings being of KDNL.

Since I watch FOX primetime programming more than that of any other network, my vote is for WFLD. I like what the GM of WFLD/WPWR (in addition to the programming czar) has done with both stations over the past two years.

Compared to FOX O&Os in other markets (NYC and LA in particular), WFLD has always been more independent-minded. If News Corp. had not develop the plan to "brand" their O&O stations, WFLD would probably have the same music, set, graphics, etc.. that they had prior to the change-over. Heck..they still use 'Local Coverage...First' in their closing L3 during the Noon and 9 PM newscasts and that same slogan still appears on their live trucks. For years, they have resisted doing anything that other FOX stations do/have done and I like that.

Would anyone else wanna see WFLD implement a 5pm newscast (hour long?). It seems like most other O&O's have the early evening broadcast, but also would putting a 5pm conflict with "The Ten"? Also I am really loving the extension to Good Day. I have started to grow on Fox and started watching it more seeing as I am normally not up for any of the other local morning shows. I wake up around 9 and being able to turn them on and not have to wait for a Today show update on NBC 5 for news is nice. I just overall am starting to grow on Fox Chicago. I have been watching them more, even killing my loyalty to NBC 5 at ten and watching "The Ten." Also I've been flipping to CBS 2 at ten alot to now. I seem to have a liking for the underdog right now in Chicago. (The two underdog's not in HD >.

Would anyone else wanna see WFLD implement a 5pm newscast (hour long?). It seems like most other O&O's have the early evening broadcast, but also would putting a 5pm conflict with "The Ten"? Also I am really loving the extension to Good Day. I have started to grow on Fox and started watching it more seeing as I am normally not up for any of the other local morning shows. I wake up around 9 and being able to turn them on and not have to wait for a Today show update on NBC 5 for news is nice. I just overall am starting to grow on Fox Chicago. I have been watching them more, even killing my loyalty to NBC 5 at ten and watching "The Ten." Also I've been flipping to CBS 2 at ten alot to now. I seem to have a liking for the underdog right now in Chicago. (The two underdog's not in HD >.

It would probably be a little while before WFLD starts an early newscast. I'm thinking it would be more of a half hour newscast at 5:30PM and moving TMZ to a different time. WFLD's viewing audience in the early evening (4PM to 7PM) are mainly teens and ages < 25 coming home from school that want an alternative to the newscasts on the other local stations. The Simpsons work too well at the 5PM and 6PM spots.

Renovations are now starting on WFLD's newsroom and control room. It's only a matter of time before FOX News Chicago goes HD.

I'd rather see an hourlong 6pm newscast. No one in Chicago has one and WGN will be covering the 5:30pm half hour soon. This would provide local news to those who get home late from a long commute. A good time for WFLD to launch one would have been prior to 2003, when WBBM was not even airing a 6pm newscast.

Archived