Chris Clausen

It looks like his voiceover career has come to a sad end. He suffered a stroke last week and from what I've heard, he's not doing so good.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

WFTV was one of his stations, along with WKRG, WRBL, WALB, WPTV, WJAR among others.

I wonder....how are the stations going to deal with this?

Oh no! That is sad for someone like him, who has been on what seems like every station in the Southeast. He is on WCIV now, doing voiceover for them. He was also on WCBD for a while, back when they changed to their Media General graphics package in '02.

That looks like Scott Chapin will be doing more work for KTVI. Scott's voice can be heard on station sponsor bumpers, and local ads in St. Louis.

Err... That should say that Chris's voice can be heard on sponsor bumpers, and local ads in St. Louis.

That's really sad... may God be with his family during such a tough time.

This market never really got to be treated to Chris's voice, though he was on WVEC for a brief time around 1990-92 along with Doug Paul and Roger Thompson.

It's sad to hear.. He was great voiceover that worked well with WFTV.

It would be nice if WFTV would go back to using Roger Thompson. Roger was their voiceover for a good part of the '70s, '80s, and early '90s. Even WLS's main voicever, Ron Rolland, could work out well for WFTV.

I read he died in Orlando and WFTV (station he then-currently did voiceovers) has not posted and AFAIK said nothing about his death. This is typical of WFTV and doesn't surprise me though because other than being the 800 pound gorilla in the market, the anchors don't banter at all, they didn't even mention the 50th anniversary of the station earlier in the year and only use few cuts from the Gari Eyewitness News package. They the think the viewers don't notice things like this but some do.

First off, my condolences goes to the family of Chris Clausen. He was a good VO for the stations he served.

I went to WFTV's website after looking at video from WHBQ's site. I was baffled that they didn't post anything about their local voiceover being deceased. I call this shit very cold-hearted. And to the fact that it had to be another station in a market several hundred miles away to mention his death and show some sort of a tribute all on television, I would of thought at least the "flagship" station of the VO would mention something about him. He was a giant part of WFTV as much as the on-air talent there.

First off, my condolences goes to the family of Chris Clausen. He was a good VO for the stations he served.

I went to WFTV's website after looking at video from WHBQ's site. I was baffled that they didn't post anything about their local voiceover being deceased. I call this shit very cold-hearted. And to the fact that it had to be another station in a market several hundred miles away to mention his death and show some sort of a tribute all on television, I would of thought at least the "flagship" station of the VO would mention something about him. He was a giant part of WFTV as much as the on-air talent there.

Yep that's WFTV for you, their news coverage is top notch and is pretty much the only good station for news in that market but their newscasts are bland and anchors are instructed to be as dry as burnt toast, they don't banter at all, all they do is an ordinary "back to you", not much conversation on camera. I know that Martie Salt and Bob Opsahl have more personality than they show on camera.

I would like to add my own condolences to Chris' family and friends.

I have been feeding copy to Chris for the past 12 years and he always strove to make what I sent sound good and make sense - not always an easy task (especially when commercial clients insisted on writing their own scripts).

On the too rare occasion when he would call with a question or concern, it would be like getting a call from the Voice of God.

Easy to work with, forgiving of typos and re-writes and generally a good person to have on your team... He will be missed.

I too would like to express my deep condolences to the Clausen family, since I remember hearing his voiceover on WSVN here in Miami, and WNEV/WHDH in Boston, which is before they became sister to 'SVN.

On a lighter note, if WGAL does get a new V/O, which they will have now, I hope they go with Cederling Fox. What a voice.

-- matt

While Cedering (no "L") is great, it would be a bold and improbable move to go with her as a main voice. NDs and CSDs like to play it safe and, more often than not, go with the 'authoritative' male.

I recall when the great Ernie Anderson passed away, NO ONE (with the exception of his Cleveland affil.) mentioned his passing. Viewers I don't think conciously identify with the Voice of the station as much as as an on air talent/personality's passing.

Us as members of this board are more aware of changes of vo talent and delivery styles voice etc... sure.

Ernie was mentioned in the Cleveland area, due to the fact he was an air talent years ago as "Ghoulardi". WCVB in Boston to the best of my knowledge didn't mention it. Neither did his client WXKS FM in Boston.

I think the same that happened in Cleveland for Ernie would happen for WCVB's secondary announcer Frank Avruch in the event of his passing (he was on air as a movie host as well as Bozo the clown in his early days here in Boston on camera)

So for stations to not have a piece on it isn't that uncommon.

Oh one last thing ...

In responce to:

Eeerie... 7 NBC (WHDH) keeps playing his "7 News is brought to you by..." promos but has made no mention of his death.

Ernie Anderson died and they used him for quite a while on both TV and radio in Boston. Not only that they "Ressurected him" Years after his passing by mix and matching past workparts to create current imaging. If the Talent agency doesn't b*itch no need to rush him off the air.

While Cedering (no "L") is great, it would be a bold and improbable move to go with her as a main voice. NDs and CSDs like to play it safe and, more often than not, go with the 'authoritative' male.

My bad on the spelling. I thought when I looked at the Web Page (to have my info right) it showed a L. Sorry about that.

What is a CSD?

Thanks

-- matt

Archived