Your Turn: Fix WBBM

superbad

Assuming the rumors are true and Ahern & Co. get shown the door after the move or at the end of his contract next year.

What are some of the changes you would make if you were in charge.

I would bring in stronger anchors and reporters.

Hire some new ep's and producers.

Okay basically clean house and start fresh.

Isn't that the mistake that every new management team makes... cleaning house and setting back any sense of familiarity the viewer was just beginning to feel?

Yeah, that does sound like WCBS's strategy and that never works for them.

Moving into their new place will help and getting new studio, graphics, etc. will freshen up their newscast. Their opens now are not good at all.

Keep the newscasters who have been their a long time and only make minor changes and stick to them. Don't change after a month or so like some other CBS station that I know of.

Yeah, that does sound like WCBS's strategy and that never works for them.

Moving into their new place will help and getting new studio, graphics, etc. will freshen up their newscast. Their opens now are not good at all.

Keep the newscasters who have been their a long time and only make minor changes and stick to them. Don't change after a month or so like some other CBS station that I know of.

That's what happened to WFOR-TV, M-Rod leaving for NY, Shannon and Anotonio Mora coming here, unfortunately not living up to the station's expectations.

I think too many stations overlook the value of having a good "bench" - experienced reporters they can call up to take on newscasts.

Build it up. Get them experienced and known to the public, have them fill in... and when needed...

I like CBS 2 and think they can turn their ship around. Obviously, it won't be easy. I would move programming around so they could start up a 4pm newscast. I would also like to see them using the Eyewitness News name, although it probably won't work. Maybe a noon newscast, but I doubt that one, as well. I would also move the weather department around. Move Don Schwenneker to weekend evenings, leave Mary Kay Kleist to weekend mornings, and give Steve the 5pm time slot. I love Don's work, but give Mary Kay a break. She works basically sun-up to sun-down on weekends. Give her some more time with her family. That's what I would do.

Archived