WDTN Dayton Gets New Graphics

tigermichal

WDTN Channel 2 here in Dayton got new graphics today. They are what looks like an In-House version of the former NBC O&O graphics that were used on WCMH and other NBC affiliates. I will try to get pictures or video... for now log on to wdtn.com where you may be able to see video on their site.

Here's their new open. It's kinda odd that they use In-Sink with these graphics.

In-Sink with Indiana, no less! Maybe something by Arnold or Gari would work (I always thought that Third Coast or Counterpoint would work with something like that. Both are quite versatile).

WDTN Channel 2 here in Dayton got new graphics today. They are what looks like an In-House version of the former NBC O&O graphics that were used on WCMH and other NBC affiliates. I will try to get pictures or video... for now log on to wdtn.com where you may be able to see video on their site.

Nothing in-house about that. That is the NBC O&O Look A pacakge.

Nothing in-house about that. That is the NBC O&O Look A pacakge.

Which begs the question: why are so many non-O&Os picking up this package all of a sudden? With the HD package slowly migrating across NBC's station, are they repurposing this package and opening it up to more affiliates? Or was that the idea all along?

WDTN, WBRE... I had a whole long list ready, but I forgot. Jordan know what I mean, though; we were talking about this last night.

Which begs the question: why are so many non-O&Os picking up this package all of a sudden? With the HD package slowly migrating across NBC's station, are they repurposing this package and opening it up to more affiliates? Or was that the idea all along?

WDTN, WBRE... I had a whole long list ready, but I forgot. Jordan know what I mean, though; we were talking about this last night.

They may be positioning Look A to be a package available to affiliates but making Look C (the new package) exclusive for O&Os.

Also keep in mind Look A was reformatted for HD use as shown by WMAQ and KXAS.

Look A is the Arthouse 2005 package. Before that, it referred to Novocom.

Look B is WNBC's graphics.

Look C is the new HD look currently being rolled out to the O&Os.

My guess is that NBC is rolling out Look A to affiliates with some sort of financial incentive, or at least heavily pushing the thing.

WPMI apparently got this package as well.

Yes, that's right, I went to WPMI's website and they did indeed get the package. It sounds like WPMI has a good version of Look A because the lower thirds are somewhat different than WDTN's lower thirds.

Good job for WPMI. Now they have Look A.

I wonder if any other NBC affiliates will get Look A in the coming weeks or months.

Yes, that's right, I went to WPMI's website and they did indeed get the package. It sounds like WPMI has a good version of Look A because the lower thirds are somewhat different than WDTN's lower thirds.

Good job for WPMI. Now they have Look A.

I wonder if any other NBC affiliates will get Look A in the coming weeks or months.

Good for them. I hate those lowers. HATE THEM.

And how some stations opt for the bug-box. Ew. EW!

/incoherence

What's sad is that some of these stations that are picking up this look are doing the look better than some of the O&Os who ORIGINATED the look.

WPMI is using l3s that are different (uhm... I'm not sure if I should be using the term "better") from every other Look A station. Probably because it looks like they have VizRT by the way things are animating in and out...

What's sad is that some of these stations that are picking up this look are doing the look better than some of the O&Os who ORIGINATED the look.

WPMI is using l3s that are different (uhm... I'm not sure if I should be using the term "better") from every other Look A station. Probably because it looks like they have VizRT by the way things are animating in and out...

WPMI seems to be taking the old-school WKRC approach with their lower thirds...leaving the story slug up the entire time. At least the lowers are designed for it this time. It looked awkward under the old look.

Ironically, this station had the old WNBC Pyburn graphics before their last look.

This new package is WAY better than what they replaced the Pyburn graphics with, IMO.

They're also using much better cuts of the NBC collection this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

WPMI has always seemed to done this. Since becoming a NBC affiliate WPMI always seemed in some various ways imitated former NBC O&O WVTM in Birmingham. When WVTM added their version of the Pyburns, which were partially in-house, but horrible, WPMI did the same. However, when Media General forced WVTM to get its current horrible MG-style graphics and logo, that's when WPMI changed as well to their shortlived graphic package until the current one.

Archived