KPLR will have a 7pm Newscast.

CircleSeven

From KPLR's website, they've posted that starting September 8th, they will move their 9pm newscast to 7pm. Their new 7pm newscast will be on for an hour. The CW's primetime line-up will moved up an hour from 8pm-10pm.

Wow, I did not expect this. Sam Zell did say in that one video when he visited KPLR that options like that were avaliable. This is mostly done because somehow Tribune and Local TV, owners of KTVI, are connected and this is probably done so KTVI and KPLR don't compete with each other.

What would really be nice is if they get a new set and graphics and go HD. But I'm not holding my breath.

The catch here, is that KPLR is only running newscasts Monday-Friday. Saturday & Sunday are no more. The upshot is that the newscasts are an hour-long; just like under Koplar's ownership.

It took 15 years, but the station is returning to what is was as an independent station. No word on whether CW will disappear at 11.

Sinclair renewed a 'long-term' agreement in 2005 with the station groups ABC stations:

Cite:

During the quarter, the Company entered into a binding term sheetregarding long term affiliation agreements with the ABC network for KDNL-TV in St. Louis, Missouri, WSYX-TV in Columbus, Ohio, WLOS-TV inAsheville, North Carolina, WXLV-TV in Greensboro, North Carolina, WKEF-TVin Dayton, Ohio, WCHS-TV in Charleston/Huntington, West Virginia, WEAR-TVin Pensacola, Florida, WICS/WICD-TV in Springfield/Champaign, Illinois,and WGGB-TV in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Source: http://www.sbgi.net/news_releases/2005/release_200583_127.pdf

These agreements are usually 5 or 10 years, possibly shorter depending on market conditions dictating renegotiations.

Sinclair renewed a 'long-term' agreement in 2005 with the station groups ABC stations:

Cite:

During the quarter, the Company entered into a binding term sheetregarding long term affiliation agreements with the ABC network for KDNL-TV in St. Louis, Missouri, WSYX-TV in Columbus, Ohio, WLOS-TV inAsheville, North Carolina, WXLV-TV in Greensboro, North Carolina, WKEF-TVin Dayton, Ohio, WCHS-TV in Charleston/Huntington, West Virginia, WEAR-TVin Pensacola, Florida, WICS/WICD-TV in Springfield/Champaign, Illinois,and WGGB-TV in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Source: http://www.sbgi.net/news_releases/2005/release_200583_127.pdf

These agreements are usually 5 or 10 years, possibly shorter depending on market conditions dictating renegotiations.

All the ABC affiliation agreements for Sinclair expire on December 31, 2009. It's in the annual report.

Maybe KPLR is jockeying for the ABC affiliation they passed up on in 1995.

ABC11 may indeed be on the horizon...

Something tells me that ABC is not satisfied with their agreement with KDNL. ABC may just be in the same spot with KDNL that Fox was with XETV. If that is the case, then ABC on KPLR may not be as far-fetched as we once thought.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think it'll make much of a difference when KPLR airs their newscast. KSDK has been the ratings leader for decades. The other stations, in my opinion, just can't seem to catch up to it.

ACTUALLY KMOV and KTVI both have been digging into channel 5's lead in town. 5 is still the leader at 5 and 6, but the lead has been shrinking and shrinking over the past 2-3 years.

KPLR going back to an 1 hour newscast, big time plus and ever since what happened in San Diego, it would not suprise me one bit to see ABC 11 in the future... one drawback though still remains, and that's with Blues hockey on 11. granted most games are on saturday nights on channel 11, but ABC has their fare share of sporting events on Saturday nights year round too.

Guest Former Member 207

KPLR going back to an 1 hour newscast, big time plus and ever since what happened in San Diego, it would not suprise me one bit to see ABC 11 in the future... one drawback though still remains, and that's with Blues hockey on 11. granted most games are on saturday nights on channel 11, but ABC has their fare share of sporting events on Saturday nights year round too.

Certainly there are options for the Blues broadcasts...they could stay on 11, with a more-reduced schedule that doesn't interfere with ABC's higher-rated shows (much like in Sacramento, where KXTV carries Kings games on mostly early weeknights and weekends). Another option could be going to either KDNL or WRBU, or putting all the games exclusively on FSN Midwest.

Should ABC go to KPLR and should KDNL give up their ABC affiliation before their contract with ABC expires, we could see a swap of affiliates between these two. I wouldn't be surprised if KDNL (!) became the CW affiliate in St Lue or an independent.

This is similar to WTXX swapping affils with WBNE (now WCTX). On January 1, 2001, WTXX became "Connecticut's WB20" and WBNE changed there calls to WCTX, making it the Connecticut's NEW UPN station. Some 2 years ago, the WB and UPN would cease to exist and Fox's reincarnation MyNetwork and the CW, poster child of Time Warner and CBS Corp, took their places.

Certainly there are options for the Blues broadcasts...they could stay on 11, with a more-reduced schedule that doesn't interfere with ABC's higher-rated shows (much like in Sacramento, where KXTV carries Kings games on mostly early weeknights and weekends). Another option could be going to either KDNL or WRBU, or putting all the games exclusively on FSN Midwest.

no way they would go to all games on FSN Midwest. the blues tried that idea in the 90's and lets just say it backfired on them big time. And Sinclair is too cheap to pay rights for games on KDNL, most likely choice would be WRBU as they already air the pre-empted sporting events from KSDK when they have Cardinals baseball on.

Guest Former Member 207
no way they would go to all games on FSN Midwest. the blues tried that idea in the 90's and lets just say it backfired on them big time. And Sinclair is too cheap to pay rights for games on KDNL, most likely choice would be WRBU as they already air the pre-empted sporting events from KSDK when they have Cardinals baseball on.

Good point there about the exclusivity on FSN Midwest...I almost forgot that the St. Louis area has one of the lowest cable penetration rates of any major market.

Just my two cents on the whole reason KPLR moved their 9PM show to 7PM. Since Tribune and Local TV are kinda the same entity behind the scenes. My guess is someone up top didn't want to compete with the powerhouse that is FOX2 at 9.

well that theroy is being proved IMO. Fox 2 and KPLR annouce a "shared services" agreement as annouced on Fox 2 tonight and this from the post dispatch this afternoon. looks like KTVI will basically had rebuilt their studio at 40 and Hampton all for nothin.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/FBB72329E85ADB2B862574C70004EC36?OpenDocument

Archived