JOE AHERN OUT AT WBBM

312newswannabe

from the trib...

CBS Chicago boss out

October 14, 2008 at 3:16 PM | Comments (0)

Joe Ahern, who erected a glitzy new home for CBS-owned WBBM-Ch. 2 but was unable to significantly raise its ratings in six years, is out as the station's president and general manager.

Replacing Ahern will be Bruno Cohen, who has headed the two CBS-owned stations in Sacramento, Calif.

More details to come.

Phil Rosenthal, Chicago Tribune media columnist

YES!!!!!!!! GODDAMMIT, YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Jesus!!!

I knew this day would come. This shit is really making my day. I feel like celebrating today! I'm happy the higher-ups at CBS is finally giving him the boot. This shit was very very very long overdue. He should've been shown the door way when they were still at 630 McClurg Ct., but better late than never!!

EDIT: Here's the article from Feder.

YES!!!!!!!! GODDAMMIT, YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Jesus!!!

I knew this day would come. This shit is really making my day. I feel like celebrating today! I'm happy the higher-ups at CBS is finally giving him the boot. This shit was very very very long overdue. He should've been shown the door way when they were still at 630 McClurg Ct., but better late than never!!

EDIT: Here's the article from Feder.

A post like this makes me think of five things...

-The Knicks firing Isaiah Thomas

-Al Davis Selling the Raiders (someday)

-Vinnie Malcolm getting fired from KTLA

-The CW and MyNetworkTV shutting down and all affils become indies.

-One of us winning the lottery (someday)

and now Joe Ahern gets the boot, but will Chicago's CBS2 get some help with the new ND?

YES HALLELUIAH HE'S FINALLY OUT OF CBS 2!! I couldn't believe the network kept him this long. I guess they were waiting for the plans to be completed on their new facility before they rocked the boat with new management-otherwise he'd likely been out a long time ago.

Also this month CBS is DONE paying Diann Burns marking the end of her five year contract with the station!

Fowler could be shown the door soon as well. My guess is that Cohen would probably wait a while to replace her until he can fully gauge WBBM situation first-hand. It's one thing to hear about the problems facing WBBM and it's totally another to see them for yourself in person.

Plus, it's never really a good idea to make rash decisions even through we all can agree that getting rid of her now wouldn't be a bad thing. Given Cohen's "NEWS" background, I think CBS made the right choice in hiring him and who knows, things just may turn around for CBS2 faster than we thought.

Probably quite high.

When Cohen was given responsibility for KOVR after CBS bought it he proceeded to fire most of the existing Sinclair-era personnel.

I don't know if the same is true here, as he's taking over a much more established station (that has already been through several rounds of layoffs recently), but the possibility is always there.

Probably quite high.

When Cohen was given responsibility for KOVR after CBS bought it he proceeded to fire most of the existing Sinclair-era personnel.

I don't know if the same is true here, as he's taking over a much more established station (that has already been through several rounds of layoffs recently), but the possibility is always there.

KOVR is a joke and is looked down upon as a network O&O simply because it does not carry the network soap Guiding Light. It is practically unheard of for a network O&O to not carry ALL network programming.

KOVR is a joke and is looked down upon as a network O&O simply because it does not carry the network soap Guiding Light. It is practically unheard of for a network O&O to not carry ALL network programming.

.....In Addition to airing primetime programming one hour earlier than all the other West Coast CBS affils so they can accompany their hourly 10pm newscast.

What?!?! The station is looked down upon by whom... the ten "Guiding Light" fans that are alive? I can guarantee that the station makes more money airing whatever else in place of a soap with sinking viewership. I don't believe it even cracks a 1.0 on major-market O&Os.

*sighs*

So KOVR doesn't carry Guiding Light. One low-rated soap. Five hours of programming. Out of the hundreds or so that CBS carries each week. So automatically KOVR sucks because it doesn't carry the entire CBS lineup.

So under this criteria WPVI was utterly worthless from 1986 to 1996 because it would pre-empt a half-hour of ABC daytime to air a local talk show (which it probably would still be doing today, mind you, if Barbara Walters didn't complain). Surely WPSG Philadelphia is an awful CW O&O because it pre-empts the schedule every few weeks to air a sports game.

I don't understand this school of thought, but then again, I probably shouldn't try to.

I don't expect any changes with the on air talent.

The only reason why I don't think Bruno will clean house right away is that Ahern already did it for him. If that hadn't already happened, I'd definitely tell WBBM staffers to get their tapes ready. I think there are only two or three people left at KOVR from the Sinclair days.

As for Bruno turning anything around, I seriously doubt it. When CBS bought KOVR from Sinclair back in 2005, I had high hopes for the station that it would actually prove to be a formidable opponent to KCRA, which has led the Sacramento market for so long its complacency has brought down the quality of news in the entire market. Instead of raising the bar, KOVR just became more and more sensational. Weird why they tapped him, instead of someone like KPIX's GM, who has actually had a reasonable amount of success in the Bay Area...

The only reason why I don't think Bruno will clean house right away is that Ahern already did it for him. If that hadn't already happened, I'd definitely tell WBBM staffers to get their tapes ready. I think there are only two or three people left at KOVR from the Sinclair days.

As for Bruno turning anything around, I seriously doubt it. When CBS bought KOVR from Sinclair back in 2005, I had high hopes for the station that it would actually prove to be a formidable opponent to KCRA, which has led the Sacramento market for so long its complacency has brought down the quality of news in the entire market. Instead of raising the bar, KOVR just became more and more sensational. Weird why they tapped him, instead of someone like KPIX's GM, who has actually had a reasonable amount of success in the Bay Area...

Yes, Ahern did the cleaning for him. Let's see if Bruno and Fowler can work together in up-toning BBM's newscasts. We'll have to see what will happen. And yes, looking at KPIX, I ask the same, why they didn't tap KPIX's GM. At least WBBM didn't got Don Corsini :lol:

Archived