Most/least annoying meteorologists?

bmasters1

Most annoying:

WAVY's Jon Cash (sorry, but it's true...especially during football season)

Least annoying:

WVEC's Jeff Lawson

Good response. What is it about Jon Cash that makes him annoying during football season (or anytime for that matter)?

Also, why is Jeff Lawson of WVEC your vote for least annoying?

I'd like to explain mine-- it has to do with voices. Dale Gilbert of WYFF (who, by the way, is the morning and noon meteorologist), at least IMHO, has the most annoying voice that anyone could ever wake up to-- sounds utterly too perky. When I hear those 3 chimes for the morning weather segment, followed by the V/O for "Weather on the 4's," it fills me with dread. By the way, Dale is also P.A./play-by-play announcer for Clemson Tiger home football games at Memorial Stadium; however, he is a little more tolerable there, because I'm not waking up to him at that time. It is only in the mornings when I dread him.

I do not know what, to me, makes John Cessarich annoying, but, to be honest, I have never liked John doing the weather (that could boil down to voices, too).

Dan Bickford, on the other hand, I don't really mind waking up to (when it happens, of course)-- not certain why, but I actually happen to like it when he does the morning forecasts. It is probably the same thing that makes Dale the most annoying to me-- Dan does not have an annoying voice (Dan is also a noon meteorologist at WSPA).

From as long as I have been in L.A.

Most annoying

(Christopher Nance of KNBC) he's been fired now for 6 years, but God was he crazy.

(Danny Romero of KABC)

(Garth Kemp of KABC)

Least annoying

Mark Thompson of FOX11/MY13

Elita Loresca of KNBC

Dr. George Fischbeck of KABC/KCBS (he was legendary)

Most Annoying:

David Finfrock

-I think it is time for him to go. He has lost his "edge" he seemed to once have. Now he can't even make it through one weathercast without coughing or stuttering.

Least Annoying:

Dan Henry

KDKA:

Most Annoying: Chief Meteorologist Jeff Verszyla. What's on tap tonight? A healthy does of smug with a side of metrosexual.

Least Annoying: Jon Burnett. Very personable, real and talkative. I bit long-winded, but he makes forecasts enjoyable. Dennis Bowman gets honorable mention.

WPXI:

Most Annoying: Tie: Scott Harbaugh andMike LaPoint. Harbaugh's voice and overzealous manner equal meteorology's answer to Bill O'Reilly. LaPoint seems unexperienced and his voice is quite nasal- not exactly easy listening.

Least Annoying: Well, I, uh... Julie Bologna, maybe.

WTAE:

Most Annoying: Demetrius Ivory. How did he make it to Pittsburgh? Blech. We miss you, Don Schwenneker.

Least Annoying: Stephen Cropper. Classy, bright and on the ball. Top notch forecasts with a touch of wit. I don't watch 4 much, but when weather counts, I turn to him

Most annoying: Nelly Carreño (WSNS): She is the Chief Meteorologist at WSNS and periodically fills in for Ginger Zee on WMAQ. I don't like her voice, and her style.

Least Annoying: Jerry Taft (WLS): Jerry is very personable, gets right down to the point, and knows what he is talking about.

Noooo.... Jeremy Wheeler and his nasally voice.

In case you're wondering, bmasters, Jon's a big Redskins fan.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out. His Redskins side must really show through.

WPXI:

Most Annoying: Tie: Scott Harbaugh andMike LaPoint. Harbaugh's voice and overzealous manner equal meteorology's answer to Bill O'Reilly. LaPoint seems unexperienced and his voice is quite nasal- not exactly easy listening.

I had the same thought when LaPoint was here.

Also, why is Jeff Lawson of WVEC your vote for least annoying?

Partly because Jeff seems to be one of the most knowledgeable meteorologists in the area, as well as the fact that he doesn't try to force himself into anything else on the newscast.

in the Lowcountry of SC/Savannah/Columbia area:

Worst: Brooks Garner (WIS) Too smug on air, has a somewhat grating voice

Bill Walsh (WCSC) Always has an annoying voice, treats every warning like it's the sign of the apocalypse (tough not to do with the breaking news cuts for Enforcer WCSC uses for weather)

Best: Josh Marthers (WCBD) Always has a comforting presence in the morning, makes you want to watch their newscast with his usually right predictions

Tom Crawford (WCIV) Always explains the different weather fronts, is a comforting presence during severe weather (so is Marthers)

Ed Piotrowski (WPDE) Another calm presence during severe weather, has a moderate voice, not annoying.

In the New Orleans market:

Most annoying:

* Nicondra Norwood (WVUE): her voice is very monotonous...will bore you quickly, even though she knows her stuff.

* Damon Singleton (WDSU): Sometimes he acts as if he has a speech impediment or is trying to avoid stuttering.

* Kimberly Vaughn (WVUE): That Valley Girl accent has got to go.

Least annoying:

* Carl Arredondo (WWL): Definitely knows his stuff and doesn't hype things up. He just tells it like it is.

* Bob Breck (WVUE): The passion this guy has is unbelievable, even though he's in his 60s. You can't help but to stop what you are doing and listen.

* Margaret Orr (WDSU): She remains very calm and has that reassuring aspect to her voice and presentation. She makes you at ease.

By far the most annoying is Jillian Barbarie (KTTX FOX L.A.). When she does the weather it's not that bad, but when she starts talking about anything else she is just crazy. I love watching her though.

In the New Orleans market:

Most annoying:

* Nicondra Norwood (WVUE): her voice is very monotonous...will bore you quickly, even though she knows her stuff.

* Damon Singleton (WDSU): Sometimes he acts as if he has a speech impediment or is trying to avoid stuttering.

* Kimberly Vaughn (WVUE): That Valley Girl accent has got to go.

Least annoying:

* Carl Arredondo (WWL): Definitely knows his stuff and doesn't hype things up. He just tells it like it is.

* Bob Breck (WVUE): The passion this guy has is unbelievable, even though he's in his 60s. You can't help but to stop what you are doing and listen.

* Margaret Orr (WDSU): She remains very calm and has that reassuring aspect to her voice and presentation. She makes you at ease.

I worked with Carl and Margaret in the 1990s... both are big time class act people.

One of the most annoying I've seen is Steve Teeling, formerly of WPXI. He would zoom into the slightest blip on the radar and make a big deal of it every night.

>He's now at WXXA-FOX23, he's really not that bad at the station

• 4 weeks later...

Something really weird just happened today--

Remember Dale Gilbert, the WYFF morning meteorologist that I mentioned as being one of my most annoying? Not only was he on every weekday, but he's also on today (Sunday morning, of all days)! When I heard a different morning weather sounder than I'm used to (the three-chime "Weather on the 4's" is usually for Dale), I thought that there would be Keisha Kirkland, WYFF's weekend morning meteorologist, but no--lo and behold, it's Dale.

While I do not hate Dale (far from it), after hearing him every weekday (Monday to Friday), and expecting a respite on a weekend, only to get Dale instead, I don't know what happened.

KDKA -

Most Annoying: Jeff Verszyla - He is not too bad and I didn't like him at first, but I have gotten used to him. Compaired to all of the other meteorologists at the station, he is the most annoying.

Least Annoying: Jon Burnett.

WTAE-

Most Annoying: I don't know. In my opinion, there isn't anybody at Channel 4 that is annoying.

Least Annoying: Erin Kienzle and Stephen Cropper.

WPXI-

Most Annoying: Mike LaPoint - Again, like I said about Jeff Verszyla, he is not too bad and I didn't like him at first, but I have gotten used to him. I think his most annoying quality is his voice.

Least Annoying: Julie Bologna and Kevin Benson.

Archived