WBBM ND FIRED!

superbad

I remember earlier this year, Channel 2 did a two-hour town hall meeting (I think that pre-empted their 10pm news that Sunday Night) about the growing murder rate with the school children, and it featured Rob Johnson and someone (I can't remember that person's name at this time) from WBBM-AM 780. It also featured some Channel 2 reporters and even sports anchor Ryan Baker were taking questions from the audience area. And oh yeah, Ahern was there sitting at one of the front rows, but they'd showed him at the end of that telecast.

It was Felicia Middlebrooks, veteran morning news anchor on Newsradio 780 WBBM.

I'm glad to see they finally dumped those bright/neon colored CBS 2/skyline graphics on the front of the anchor desk this week for something easier on the eyes. It's good to see they're heading towards being more conservative again graphic-wise.

I can't wait until they're done revamping the set.. It does get annoying seeing all those people waving behind the anchors while watching the news. I really hope what I was told what was going to happen to the set is true. It will be nice to see that backdrop phony video wall gone. That thing only had 4 real monitors. Heck, there are much smaller market stations out there that have monitor walls behind the anchor desk where ALL the monitors are real.

I've noticed they brought back all those cbs2chicago.com closers to the newscasts and they're airing promos for the website like crazy again during commercial breaks.

I just finished sitting through and watching the 6PM newscast tonight and I have to ask, where or what was the actual news? Forget about the story content, where were the STORIES? The only thing that still pops out of my head from that newscast is a story about a guy that nearly burned his house down because of something stupid thing he did to try to chase out some squirrels and some "Focus on the Positive" story.. The only thing I can actually remember having to do with actual news is the lead story (terror attacks in India) being mashed together with Thanksgiving holiday travel.. Maybe it was because both stories were being reported by Kristyn Hartman at O'Hare Airport.. They need a new news director fast. Honestly, if that's all the newsroom can come up with without a news director, many more people there really need to be given the boot. There was a time when I defended some people there but the more I look at it, the place needs a major off-air staffing overhaul. Really, the only strong points of their 6PM newscast tonight were weather and sports.

For some reason, the closing music at the end of the newscast tonight stuck out more than it usually does. Maybe because they played it longer than they usually do. It's not a bad cut of the package but it's not for Chicago. I know most people could care less; however, I don't care for my news theme ending with a shaking tambourine at the end of a newscast.

Mr. Bruno Cohen sir, if you're reading this, do the station a favor by pulling the plug on the newscasts until you fully re-tool. Stick an infomercial or something in there. Maybe more Judge Judy repeats. It may really be better off that way. Then when you have the right stuff, then you can come out bright and strong.

"those bright/neon colored CBS 2/skyline graphics on the front of the anchor desk" -- what did they replace them with?

It's really the same skyline graphic but it's now plain blue with silver CBS 2 logos instead of being all colorful. The funny thing is that it's something that Ahern would have more likely picked out himself..

I also think they need to screw down the top of that anchor desk or something.. I think it's loose or something. Each time Rob Johnson pounds or put his hand down on the desk, it looks like the top of the desk bounces a bit.

amazed that you guys continue to focus on the most meaningless details.

music = worry about it later (it's just fine)

gfx = worry about them later (a few tweaks)

set = worry about it later (a few tweaks)

newsroom leadership = fix it now

story selection = fix it now

writing = fix it now

pacing = fix it now

branding = fix it now

tech issues = fix them now

Based on some of these latter comments on this thread, I don't think they'll have a chance to do well the end of this year. I hate to count my chickens before they hatch, but I guess the only way that they could turn their ratings slump around is to fire the off-air personnel at the CBS floors of 22 West Washington Blvd. WHOLESALE!!!!

Forget the set. Forget the Graphics. And Forget the music (even though, they made a gigantous mistake dropping the Enforcer for the third time). Get more off-air folks from out-of-town that knows how to write, knows how to come up with a great story, and knows how to lead the station with greatness. I still think Bruno firing of Ms. Fowler was his best move yet, but he needs to find a good ND that can lead the news with different content, and not only any content, content that will "CLICK" with the viewers. That has been the station's main problem for many years. Hell, if they don't improve in a few months (given it enough time for them to move their radio frequency digital channel to 12 in February), I wouldn't be shocked if WBBM-TV become the equivalent of these lovely initials:

W W J

I remember when Channel 2 had a 2-hour Judy block (one hour with shows from a few season prior and the second hour with newer shows), prior to when they start acquiring Rachael Ray to the lineup, and at that time Channel 2 did get a "little bit" of ratings boost. But of course that didn't last long.

And since tonight is the last night of the November Books period, I hope the newspaper columnist can provide us some numbers.

Unfortunately loofa, it seems you haven't been around TVNT long enough to understand the people around here. This group (TVNT) along with most of its original members (including myself) are into more of the presentation (sets, graphics, music) aspect of TV news production. Much of the members of TVNT are also into the actual technical TV broadcasting aspect too.

This isn't TV Spy or a journalism writing forum. This is the place where people can talk about and do talk about the meaningless details on TV newscasts that really have no meaning to the general TV viewing public out there.

Eventhough it's allowed and encouraged, this really hasn't been a place where people talk about newscast story selection, writing, etc..

There's no need to not understand why we keep going on and focusing about these "meaningless things". It's what this forum/group is about. It's to talk about ANYTHING dealing with TV news from the newscast title down to the neck tie a reporter or anchor is wearing.

Really, if I knew anything about newscast story selection or writing a story, I'd talk about it. I'm sure others here would too. However, that's not my expertise or the expertise of most members here.

If you notice, a number of people here do mention your points about newsroom leadership, story selection, writing, etc.; however, nobody here has mentioned what exactly they would do. People say WBBM should have "better story content" but people don't say exactly how or what. Loofa, you make your points but you don't give any more specific examples of what you would do.

This is a place for discussion. People discuss what they know or think about having to do with a particular topic. Loofa, just check out all the other forums here. You'll probably get driven up a wall seeing the "meaningless details" people talk about.

Lazynetjunkie, I think Loofa was just trying to make a point about the major problems that Channel 2 needs to be focusing on right now. I think you took his/her comment too personally.

While I might have issues with the set and graphics, I understand they are only a small part of the bigger picture (literally). Channel 2 needs to seriously revamp their news department, and the points Loofa mentioned are crucial in rebuilding an already troubled station.

Lastly, let's all try to get along here, we all have our own opinions and are welcome to share them, let's try to respect them please.

I just finished sitting through and watching the 6PM newscast tonight and I have to ask, where or what was the actual news? Forget about the story content, where were the STORIES? The only thing that still pops out of my head from that newscast is a story about a guy that nearly burned his house down because of something stupid thing he did to try to chase out some squirrels and some "Focus on the Positive" story.. The only thing I can actually remember having to do with actual news is the lead story (terror attacks in India) being mashed together with Thanksgiving holiday travel.. Maybe it was because both stories were being reported by Kristyn Hartman at O'Hare Airport.. They need a new news director fast. Honestly, if that's all the newsroom can come up with without a news director, many more people there really need to be given the boot. There was a time when I defended some people there but the more I look at it, the place needs a major off-air staffing overhaul. Really, the only strong points of their 6PM newscast tonight were weather and sports.

Slow news day.

Mr. Bruno Cohen sir, if you're reading this, do the station a favor by pulling the plug on the newscasts until you fully re-tool. Stick an infomercial or something in there. Maybe more Judge Judy repeats. It may really be better off that way. Then when you have the right stuff, then you can come out bright and strong.

Not gonna happen.

Not gonna happen.

Duh. I know that. I was just saying it.. Plus, I know someone at WBBM that reads this board that I thought would get a kick out of that.

Yeah, it was a slow news day, but heck, NBC 5, ABC 7, FOX Chicago were all able to make more of their newscasts last night.

Don't know if it's the right thread but I'll mention it here.

I saw a CBS "Happy Holidays" promo today - network, obviously, since I'm in Philadelphia. Right at the end, at the CBS "Happy Holidays" graphic, you can hear - quite clearly - the current WBBM signature, right before the three-note "CBS" sounder.

Don't know what it means, if anything, but that quite obviously stood out...

Don't know if it's the right thread but I'll mention it here.

I saw a CBS "Happy Holidays" promo today - network, obviously, since I'm in Philadelphia. Right at the end, at the CBS "Happy Holidays" graphic, you can hear - quite clearly - the current WBBM signature, right before the three-note "CBS" sounder.

Don't know what it means, if anything, but that quite obviously stood out...

You're not the only one to notice that.. There's another CBS network promo (non-holiday related) that I've been seeing more recently that also contains the current WBBM signature.

Lazynet,

Here are a few specifics:

- Station / Newsroom Leadership

Do what WBZ in Boston did. Go out and find a strong team of people who have had success moving 2nd or 3rd place TV stations into 1st place. You don't need "caretakers" at Ch 2 - you need change agents. These folks will focus on fundamentals first...and quickly. After that, they will move to...

- Enterprise Content

Start with the viewer. Pull a major research project that digs deeply into what viewers care about and need right now. You'll find that people are worried about the economy, their financial/employment situation, personal safety, etc. Build loads of branded content (franchises) around these findings. Make these pieces topical and meaningful (versus = well, it's Thursday...gotta do a piece on personal finance). Enterprise content - done well - can help define a station and create sampling. After the first two tasks above have been dealt with - in order - you'll jump to...

- Branding

Time for more research. But not the typical TV research. This study should be about the place news has in people's lives and their current visceral and emotional reactions to the media. Use those findings to build a brand that viewers can emotionally connect to/with. BE BOLD!!

I can't be more specific about the content or branding that CBS 2 should chase because there is no current WBBM/Chicago research to help define it.

Once those things are done. Then you work on the smaller details like music, gfx, set.

Speaking of music, I like the current theme and I think WBBM did the right thing in dropping the old package. It was a tether to an unsuccessful past. With the move to 22 W they needed a clean break in content, style, and packaging. Unfortunately, the GM and ND didn't have the stones to change anything but the packaging. And even with that - they didn't allow the creative folks to go as far as neccessary to really make the station stand out.

I don't think they are replacing the fake monitor wall anytime soon. I drove past the studio today and it was still there...

It's still there right now as the rest of the set. I just heard Bruno doesn't like the fake monitor wall.. That's why all newscasts are being done in front of the window. I really don't think people constantly waving behind the anchors is his intention..

Plus, I think he's waiting for the new ND to come in before making changes to see what his/her ideas are.

Archived