WBBM ND FIRED!

superbad

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!! Thank You Jesus!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my song at? Oh here it is, since I can't embed it. But yeah, what did I say a few days ago? When Ol' Ahern Left 2, Fowler should've left right behind him (or something like that). I cannot get any happier that her ass is out of Channel 2. I wished Mr. Cohen would've fired her on his first day at Channel 2 but this a BIG Improvement. Now maybe, just maybe, Channel 2 could finally have a chance on being a strong contender, as long as Mr. Cohen continues to clean house by picking out the bad apples from Ahern's "administration". I commend Mr. Cohen for firing her ass and I hope he can continue to find ways that would improve Channel 2 for the better. I know it will take a while, especially with the digital RF changes from 3 to 12 in February and despite their current content formula, any change to that and any ratings jump would be an improvement. But if they end up having their ratings tied with WMAQ someday, that would be a BIG improvement. And I'm still going to religiously watch Channel 7 for the news. But if 2's ratings rise, then I would be at least happy that they did improve.

So finally we have the regime GONE that consisted of Joe Ahern, Carol Fowler, and Diann Burns!!

They should just do one evening newscast at 5pm and air the Entertainment Tonight/Insider hour from 6-7pm. Bring the CBS Morning News back at 5-6am, with only local news from 6-7am. The 11am newscast can stay I guess although Family Feud or another game show might bring in better ratings.

They should just do one evening newscast at 5pm and air the Entertainment Tonight/Insider hour from 6-7pm. Bring the CBS Morning News back at 5-6am, with only local news from 6-7am. The 11am newscast can stay I guess although Family Feud or another game show might bring in better ratings.

I don't think this would work well in Chicago. In another market, it might.

This is great news for WBBM. Now, hopefully, they can go back to doing what they used to do so well. They are still good, but Ahern and Fowler did some stupid things. Let's hope that the new management's decisions aren't as dumb as the old management's decisions. I think the anchor line-ups are fine the way they are.

Not gonna happen, news is way cheaper to do than to air syndicated programming

As Lewis Lazare reports today, http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1290067,CST-FIN-lew20bb.article Cohen continues to clean house. He also predicts a big shake-up in the coming months.

I didn't realize Cohen's already scrappred Ahern's stupid "Heart of Chicago" slogan. And "Eye of Chicago" has been reduced to a segment on the Sunday 10am news, which is now an hour.

I hope to God Andrew Finlayson doesn't jump to 2, and I don't like the suggestion of replacing Anne State. I'd rather see Rob Johnson go than her. She's extremely likable and I'm very impressed with her - she fit right in.

As Lewis Lazare reports today, http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1290067,CST-FIN-lew20bb.article Cohen continues to clean house. He also predicts a big shake-up in the coming months.

I didn't realize Cohen's already scrappred Ahern's stupid "Heart of Chicago" slogan. And "Eye of Chicago" has been reduced to a segment on the Sunday 10am news, which is now an hour.

I hope to God Andrew Finlayson doesn't jump to 2, and I don't like the suggestion of replacing Anne State. I'd rather see Rob Johnson go than her. She's extremely likable and I'm very impressed with her - she fit right in.

So what is it that makes you so impressed with Anne State? The way she sits at the desk and reads the news, is it that she's not Diann, or was it her "fish hotel" story that proved to you she fit right in?

My question is not meant to be rude but I'm curious as to what's so impressive about someone who hasn't done much other than read during her seven months in Chicago.

I wouldn't be surprise if Finlayson was to leave WFLD for WBBM. I don't think his relationship with Mullen (WFLD/WPWR GM) is ideal (Mullen didn't hire him) which may mean he's looking for a fresh start somewhere else despite being at WFLD less than 3 yrs.

Unless they plan on hiring Mary Ann back (along with others at her level both from a journalism/experience level), then they're better off with what they got. I would however get rid of Don Schwenneker, Mike Puccinelli and Mia Martinez.

I'm not sure I want someone from Fox-run Channel 32 coming into run Channel 2, but was Finlayson the brainchild for "The Ten" on WFLD? If so, maybe he could do some magic for Channel 2, who knows.

I agree with you about dumping Mike Puccinelli and Mai Martinez...I've never really liked them on air. Don Schwenneker, however, has grown on me a little bit. I know some of you may remember how I much I hated him and his flag pins and his use of the word 'exclusive' when referring to the weather forecast...but he seems to be okay in his own dorky way. I think he needs to loosen up a little more on the morning news though. He seems to be too serious most of the time.

I never understood why they used "Heart of Chicago" in the first place. Ahern seemed to hate any kind of gimmicky tagline. He dumped "CBS 2 Works For You" as soon as he took over. Those were gimmicky but they still connected the station to viewers and provided viewers with something catchy, "News, Weather, Consumer Alerts...CBS 2 Works For You." The Heart of Chicago promos were just dumb. They looked like they were haphazardly put together (among everything else in this latest station makeover) and were annoying.

I've noticed the station has already made some on air changes in terms of graphics and set this week. The morning news is using a different bumper/teaser graphic to show what's coming up next. I'm still not a fan of the boxed text but it is a HUGE improvement over the regular teaser graphic with the jagged edges they always show. The morning news has also brought back the crawl/ticker featuring the day's headlines, weather, and traffic. Tonight's 6pm news also featured the Daley Plaza backdrop instead of that annoying monitor wall. Maybe they are dumping that? If I had my way, I would seriously take a good look at:

- Refining graphics (taking a hard look at EACH graphic to ensure font/size consistency, on-air look, etc.)

- Making sure that each segment uses CONSISTENT graphics/design/colors

- Updating set to reduce visual clutter (remove monitor wall, remove computer monitors at sports set, move huge computer monitors at weather desk to a different area)

- Add a real interview set with chairs that match

- STOP USING ONE CUT FOR ALL STATION MUSIC. I am sick of hearing the same music on loop. Let's hear some different cuts!

'The TEN' concept is a mix of other Fox stations 10 o'clock newscasts of a similar nature as the TEN and the FOX News Channel's 'Fox Report w/ Shep Smith' I believe. It's overall look and feel was (and maybe still) overseen by the Asst. News Director who was the TEN's Executive Producer as well as Managing Editor- Fox Chicago News. His name I can't recall at the moment.

I'm not sure how much input Finlayson had in it's overall creation given that adding/expanding WFLD's newscast/news product was one of the first things Mullen wanted to do when he was hired.

I'm not sure I want someone from Fox-run Channel 32 coming into run Channel 2, but was Finlayson the brainchild for "The Ten" on WFLD? If so, maybe he could do some magic for Channel 2, who knows.

I agree with you about dumping Mike Puccinelli and Mai Martinez...I've never really liked them on air. Don Schwenneker, however, has grown on me a little bit. I know some of you may remember how I much I hated him and his flag pins and his use of the word 'exclusive' when referring to the weather forecast...but he seems to be okay in his own dorky way. I think he needs to loosen up a little more on the morning news though. He seems to be too serious most of the time.

I never understood why they used "Heart of Chicago" in the first place. Ahern seemed to hate any kind of gimmicky tagline. He dumped "CBS 2 Works For You" as soon as he took over. Those were gimmicky but they still connected the station to viewers and provided viewers with something catchy, "News, Weather, Consumer Alerts...CBS 2 Works For You." The Heart of Chicago promos were just dumb. They looked like they were haphazardly put together (among everything else in this latest station makeover) and were annoying.

I've noticed the station has already made some on air changes in terms of graphics and set this week. The morning news is using a different bumper/teaser graphic to show what's coming up next. I'm still not a fan of the boxed text but it is a HUGE improvement over the regular teaser graphic with the jagged edges they always show. The morning news has also brought back the crawl/ticker featuring the day's headlines, weather, and traffic. Tonight's 6pm news also featured the Daley Plaza backdrop instead of that annoying monitor wall. Maybe they are dumping that? If I had my way, I would seriously take a good look at:

- Refining graphics (taking a hard look at EACH graphic to ensure font/size consistency, on-air look, etc.)

- Making sure that each segment uses CONSISTENT graphics/design/colors

- Updating set to reduce visual clutter (remove monitor wall, remove computer monitors at sports set, move huge computer monitors at weather desk to a different area)

- Add a real interview set with chairs that match

- STOP USING ONE CUT FOR ALL STATION MUSIC. I am sick of hearing the same music on loop. Let's hear some different cuts!

I personally like Don Schwenneker.. Like you said, he just has to loosen up a little on the morning news and let his true self and sense of humor come out. I've seen him be funny on newscasts in years past and liven up newscasts at his previous stations. He just has to do that now on the CBS 2 morning news. He has the advantage too that he's also a meteorologist.

As for Ahern's "Heart of Chicago" line, Ahern was giving in to things he had so hardly believe against doing for his many years in the business towards the end of his run at WBBM. It's also the reason why you see an extravagant news set with what Ahern used to call "distractions" all over the news set. I agree that there's too much visual clutter there on the set.

I really liked that "Just Turn to 2" campaign they did a few years ago, especially the Christmas image/campaign that went along with it. It would be nice if they were to revive that.. It most likely won't happen.

I agree with your 5 points above. From what I hear, there's going to be some changes with the music and that's why the music cuts have been reduced to a couple different cuts.

with the problems the station has in content, personnel and tech/infrastructure - music shouldn't even be on the radar screen. seriously, if you are focused on the music right now - you're just distracting yourself from the bigger issues that need to be delt with. besides, i like the music package.

now, let's deal with the big picture stuff.

- leave the talent the way it is - for now. you'll just be setting up new/reassigned anchors to fail until you fix the content.

- find new news managers. get smart people who have been a part of station turnarounds. people who have spent most of their careers at #1's have no idea how to win at a last place station. period.

- focus the fundamentals. the writing, pacing, and story selection at that station are mediocre at best. get better. then, strengthen your breaking news coverage.

- after you get the fundamentals shored up - dare to differentiate. from branded content to presentation don't be afraid to try new things.

- pick a meaningful, well researched brand position - then stick with it. give your station a memorable identity.

start there and you'll see almost immediate improvement.

with the problems the station has in content, personnel and tech/infrastructure - music shouldn't even be on the radar screen. seriously, if you are focused on the music right now - you're just distracting yourself from the bigger issues that need to be delt with. besides, i like the music package.

now, let's deal with the big picture stuff.

- leave the talent the way it is - for now. you'll just be setting up new/reassigned anchors to fail until you fix the content.

- find new news managers. get smart people who have been a part of station turnarounds. people who have spent most of their careers at #1's have no idea how to win at a last place station. period.

- focus the fundamentals. the writing, pacing, and story selection at that station are mediocre at best. get better. then, strengthen your breaking news coverage.

- after you get the fundamentals shored up - dare to differentiate. from branded content to presentation don't be afraid to try new things.

- pick a meaningful, well researched brand position - then stick with it. give your station a memorable identity.

start there and you'll see almost immediate improvement.

agreed.

So what is it that makes you so impressed with Anne State? The way she sits at the desk and reads the news' date=' is it that she's not Diann, or was it her "fish hotel" story that proved to you she fit right in?[/size']

My question is not meant to be rude but I'm curious as to what's so impressive about someone who hasn't done much other than read during her seven months in Chicago.

I understand your point but I think as an anchor, she lends a graceful air. Sort of a Carol Marin.

Since she is not with an established station/co-anchor, they should probably do something like town meetings or specials with this "young anchor team" where they are addressing problems and doing something different than the other stations.

And I would point out that one asset WBBM continues to have is an I-team whose importance to a turnaround should not be forgotten in this time of layoffs.

Since she is not with an established station/co-anchor, they should probably do something like town meetings or specials with this "young anchor team" where they are addressing problems and doing something different than the other stations.

I remember earlier this year, Channel 2 did a two-hour town hall meeting (I think that pre-empted their 10pm news that Sunday Night) about the growing murder rate with the school children, and it featured Rob Johnson and someone (I can't remember that person's name at this time) from WBBM-AM 780. It also featured some Channel 2 reporters and even sports anchor Ryan Baker were taking questions from the audience area. And oh yeah, Ahern was there sitting at one of the front rows, but they'd showed him at the end of that telecast.

Archived