The Sets Of New York

Vlad

Which New York Market Station Has The Best Set?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which New York Market Station Has The Best Set?

• WCBS / CBS 2 NEWS / CHANNEL 2
    • WNBC / NEWS 4 NEW YORK / CHANNEL 4
    • WNYW / FOX 5 NEWS / CHANNEL 5
    • WABC / EYEWITNESS NEWS / CHANNEL 7
    • WWOR / MY 9 NEWS / CHANNEL 9
    • WPIX / PIX 11 NEWS / CHANNEL 11
    • WXTV / NOTICIAS UNIVISION 41 / CHANNEL 41
    • WNJU / NOTICIERO 47 / CHANNEL 47

Since most of the stations here in New York have relatively young sets, What is your take on the news sets here in New York? I've decided to rank the sets of the top 4 watched stations here, what's your take and ranking on some of the sets here in NY? Then choose the station you think has the BEST set in the market in the poll.

1. - WNBC / News 4 New York

Although their recent upgrade is kinda small, I really like its simplicity, their previous set was still way better than what they have now, but the new look really is not much of a letdown neither more of a stepdown, albeit smaller, it still is the nicest.

2. - WNYW / FOX 5 News

They had theirs for a little more than 2 years now and it still is among the nicest sets in the market. Very large, and spacious. I think its a great set. They really utilize every aspect of the set. The HD camera's really flow well with the large set.

3. - WCBS / CBS 2 News

Although they had the same general look since 2003, it really doesn't hurt them. In fact ratings have gone down and up with the same set and now they are in second place (As of July 2008). Overall, the set is detailed and the backdrop is animated really nothing wrong with it.

4. - WABC / Eyewitness News

Well the supposedly most watched newscast in the nation, had their set for 3 years if I remember correctly, their set made its debut in January 2005, and then it was burned and destroyed in May 2007's studio fire, that I'm sure many of us remember and then it was out of commission for about a month and then it was relaunched roughly a month later in June 2007. So its been an up and down roller coaster with their set, lol. But, a few things since their debut in 2005, they have a better backdrop, that is and also the upper "Eyewitness News" scroll is also updated and colorful. So it looks slightly better, but I still think its lacking a lot of potential. Their set really is not suitable for HD, when watching sports report the wood panel colors on the left can clearly be seen and really distorts the image. Overall their set needs a major update. They updated their graphics, which are really amazing, now they need to update their set.

I might be biased but I pick CBS 2's set, though I think most or all of the local stations actually have really nice studios. I just like all of the "nooks and crannies" with the different camera shots and lighting that can be used.

But I have to correct something that Vlad said... they haven't used the animated backdrop since before they went HD in April 2007. I miss having two separate desks (they used the big projection screen as the backdrop for the morning, noon and 5pm broadcasts). When they went HD and had all newscasts use the same desk, I thought it was temporary because that backdrop is clearly a nighttime skyline. That's my biggest issue with the set and I'm surprised that it's been a year and a half and they still haven't corrected it.

Archived