Capture Cards/Devices

Ntropolis

Started this thread out of curiosity...

To those that upload news clips, etc. to Youtube, what do you use to do it?

When I'm capturing from my VCR or DVD recorder, I use a Dazzle DVC 90 which I got 3 years ago. It was alright for the first couple years but now I'm barely able to capture with it, it keeps dropping frames. Part of it is because my computer is slow...

For DTV video captures right off the air I use a DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold. It's a great DTV tuner but for DTV captures it's okay.

I'm planning on getting a new computer for Christmas, and since the Dazzle won't work with Vista I want to get a new one. I'm looking at the Diamond One Touch Video Capture. From what I hear it works well with Vista.

Share yours.

I'm on my second HD tuner. My first one was a Pinnacle PCTV HD "Pro", which worked "OK". I had better luck picking up WZZM-DT out of Michigan than the local stations. The still frame capture sucked, and the unit was returned to the store within a week.

Now I have the OnAir GT, a nice little unit that came with a BELT HOLSTER and a little antenna. It takes great caps, records in full HD, and I've been able to pick up DTV signals from as far away as South Bend, Indiana with it and often get weak signals for even furthur away stations, and that's just with rabbit ears.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 with Sage TV software.

My very very first capture card was an EyeTV2Go USB for Macintosh. It only required USB 1 to operate, so, needless to say, the captures and recordings usually had something left to be desired.

My next "tuner" was the Plextor MX-402u (http://www.plextor.com/english/products/M402U.htm). I had it plugged into the VCR and used the VCR to change channels. It captured decently. I still like it, but I don't use it anymore.

I used that tuner for a year or so with the included Win-TV viewing software. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great, either.

Dell actually sent me an ATI TV Wonder 600 (http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder600/USB/index.html) with my new Vista Home Premium computer a month ago and I couldn't be happier. The included software is much better and it integrates with Media Center flawlessly.

I have the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1250. Works pretty well with Windows Vista Ultimate and the integrated Windows Media Center. I may upgrade to a better card in the future, but this is fine for now, since I don't do too much capturing.

I had (well, still have) the ATI HDTV Wonder in my Dell Dimension desktop computer. It was only a Pentium 4 with a crappy graphics card, so it didn't decode the MPEG2 stream all that well and as a result the playback was pretty choppy. The card only had an ATSC tuner (and a crappy one at that), so you were forced into using an antenna which only worked well in certain situations. It did, however, take decent still image captures.

I bought it back in 2006, and I think the HDTV Wonder has been replaced by the All-in-Wonder HD which does have a QAM tuner to pull in unencrypted digital cable channels. Definitely go with something with the QAM capabilities because trying to deal with an OTA antenna is a major PITA.

I've recently started playing with my Motorola cable box's FireWire port and plugging it directly into my MacBook Pro's FireWire 400 port. Capturing with it is a little klugey (it requires a few of the utilities in the Apple FireWire SDK to work), but it captures pretty flawlessly. It basically captures the MPEG2 transport stream (.m2t) and then you use another program (I use MPEG Streamclip) to transcode that into a QuickTime file or something more manageable.

It basically captures the MPEG2 transport stream (.m2t) and then you use another program (I use MPEG Streamclip) to transcode that into a QuickTime file or something more manageable.

Do you have any videos on You Tube? What settings do you use on MPEG Streamclip?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on my second HD tuner. My first one was a Pinnacle PCTV HD "Pro", which worked "OK". I had better luck picking up WZZM-DT out of Michigan than the local stations. The still frame capture sucked, and the unit was returned to the store within a week.

Now I have the OnAir GT, a nice little unit that came with a BELT HOLSTER and a little antenna. It takes great caps, records in full HD, and I've been able to pick up DTV signals from as far away as South Bend, Indiana with it and often get weak signals for even furthur away stations, and that's just with rabbit ears.

My OnAir GT just arrived today (Christmas comes early for me :) ). What program do you use to convert the TRP files (specifically for YouTube)?

My OnAir GT just arrived today (Christmas comes early for me :) ). What program do you use to convert the TRP files (specifically for YouTube)?

I use "SUPER ©". The website for it is poorly designed and laid out, so here's the link to download it.

It also has... uh... many "features", so here's a screencap of how I have it set up.

super.jpg.41a61f5959212dcf441ac6291d8a0bd9.jpg

Archived