PIX 11 News to end?

DMA

An article on Newsblues states that WPIX's news operation may be shuttered, while WGN's and KTLA's are retained. There is an unlikely, but not implausible scenario that WPIX will have news produced by WNBC. The article references Tribune execs, so I think there's a good chance that these rumors relating to the shutdown are true. I'm not so sure about the WNBC one, however.

An article on Newsblues states that WPIX's news operation may be shuttered, while WGN's and KTLA's are retained. There is an unlikely, but not implausible scenario that WPIX will have news produced by WNBC. The article references Tribune execs, so I think there's a good chance it's true.

That's what 10 is doing in Philly when 17 shuttered their news operations some 3 years ago, hence "MyPHL-17 News at Ten: Powered by NBC-10".

An article on Newsblues states that WPIX's news operation may be shuttered, while WGN's and KTLA's are retained. There is an unlikely, but not implausible scenario that WPIX will have news produced by WNBC. The article references Tribune execs, so I think there's a good chance it's true.

really...WPIX is one of the better Tribune newscasts, KTLA or KSWB on the other hand...It would be interesting to see KNBC or KABC produce news for 5, but that's highly highly unlikely, considering NBCUni's issues, budget cuts and all, and KABC already's hyper-saturated news lineup.

Let's see.. WNBC producing news for WPIX while at the same time sharing chopper footage/video with WNYW..

Also...would WPIX go thru the motions of changing to PIX News At Ten and all graphics wise. Even cutting down in the newsroom, with assistants and producers and interns while management knew they had intentions to just shut down altogether? That ain't kosher.

They pull a CBS and dump all high priced talent, people may still watch depending on who they dump. Regardless, it's gonna be an interesting holiday season for television and news.

what we are witnessing is the end of an era in tv news. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Local news is finished for the most part. Oh there will always be a small audience who will watch but the fact is the world has changed how people get their information. The next generation of viewers doesn't watch tv news. Plain and simple. For the few employees left its a world of 1099's and scraping on union minimums.

The mighty Tribune has gone belly up. How sad for us. An era has ended.

It would be a shame for the WPIX to shut down the 10 O'clock news. I would think they would want to keep it if they are winning the ratings with Fox and WOR.

As for NBC stepping, they have enough to do just to keep themselves from a fire sale. I can't see the NBC sinking ship joining the sunken Tribune.

uh ok...WPIX has been number 2 at 10pm for god knows how long. They are beating Fox in the mornings, though.

At this point it's about staying in business, not so much getting the ratings now. Save money, not spend. Get sales for revenue. It just isn't happening.

And by the way, my fine and distinguished friends, NBC would just produce the news for the station, not join another company.

re: ctnews...

This is probably something that's been on the table for a while now. It's just a matter of when, not if, to drop the bombshell in this business. For market one, this would be impressive, but a sign of the times. It has nothing to do with bankruptcy, but more SAVING MONEY.

East siders better start looking for new jobs. I hear Wendy's is hiring.

Archived