Please help identify a theme

WWUpdate

Check out this 1978 news open (it begins at 2:25 into the clip):

It features a theme that was commonly used in Australia during the 1970s and 1980s.

One of the YouTube comments states that the theme is "an offshoot of the American news music package 'Where You Belong (Action News is Everywhere)' published by TM Productions."

Can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure what an "offshoot" is: Is it just a rarely used cut from the package, a custom theme just based on Where You Belong, or something else?

In its "Outside the US" section, NMSA lists various US themes used in Australia, but it doesn't mention this one, even though it was used by several Australian stations.

You guys have helped me to identify obscure themes before, so thanks in advance for your efforts!

I don't believe this is remotely related to "Where You Belong" by TM. Here is an example of "Where You Belong" from WTVN-6 in 1977:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F571TsWZC08

I've never heard this piece of music used on any American newscast that I know of.

It's a great piece of music. Almost sounds like something from James Bond. I know some American newscasts used "From Russia With Love" in the early '70s.

I don't believe this is remotely related to "Where You Belong" by TM. Here is an example of "Where You Belong" from WTVN-6 in 1977:

Thanks! I thought it sounded completely different than any cut of "Where You Belong" I've heard.

Archived